Masks Seem to Help

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Masks Seem to Help

Post by Gary Childress »

I will say that wearing a mask does seem to help. My family and I have been wearing them pretty consistently and this past season is one of the few cold and flu seasons that none of us came down with any kind of virus or infection. Knock on wood, hope it stays that way.
henry quirk

Re: Masks Seem to Help

Post by henry quirk »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:59 pm I will say that wearing a mask does seem to help. My family and I have been wearing them pretty consistently and this past season is one of the few cold and flu seasons that none of us came down with any kind of virus or infection. Knock on wood, hope it stays that way.
If maskin' up seems to help, then do.

I'm all for folks doin' what they need to do to get thru the day.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Of course they work, and so do washing your hands and social distancing. Humans are dirty bastards--sneezing into their hands and then wiping icky droplets on everything they touch afterwards. Just wash your f'ing hands, or sneeze into your elbow if washing isn't an option.
I've never worn a mask, but then I avoid public transport, keep my distance anyway, and enjoy breathing freely. Plus, I couldn't care less if I get covid and I'm certainly not concerned about old farts who are at death's door anyway.
I'm sure that vaccine killed prince Philip. Humans are ridiculous.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:59 pm I will say that wearing a mask does seem to help. My family and I have been wearing them pretty consistently and this past season is one of the few cold and flu seasons that none of us came down with any kind of virus or infection. Knock on wood, hope it stays that way.
It's not just you. The word is that flu numbers are down all round.

What has amazed me is depite all precautions, i'm still getting periodic minor snivvels and congestion when the weather changes.
This is evidence that we carry around usually benign collections of nasal and upper respiratory tract bacteria which are capable of opportunistic periodic blooms.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:25 pm

What has amazed me is depite all precautions, i'm still getting periodic minor snivvels and congestion when the weather changes.
This is evidence that we carry around usually benign collections of nasal and upper respiratory tract bacteria which are capable of opportunistic periodic blooms.
Or you could be reacting to graphene
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 2112701013
https://www.fastcompany.com/90634267/ar ... ealth-risk
if that is in your or some of your masks.
Or you could be reacting to heavy metals in the masks...
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-56972074
or it could be that masks accumulate bacteria and viruses
Also we eliminate germs (and pollutants with our exhalations) but now these accumulate and are rebreathed when wearing masks.
These are all possible reasons people are having respiratory problems from the minor to the major when wearing masks regularly.
There is also the C02, which is more controversial.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:58 am
Sculptor wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:25 pm

Or you could be reacting to graphene
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 2112701013
https://www.fastcompany.com/90634267/ar ... ealth-risk
if that is in your or some of your masks.
Or you could be reacting to heavy metals in the masks...
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-56972074
or it could be that masks accumulate bacteria and viruses
Also we eliminate germs (and pollutants with our exhalations) but now these accumulate and are rebreathed when wearing masks.
These are all possible reasons people are having respiratory problems from the minor to the major when wearing masks regularly.
There is also the C02, which is more controversial.
No. During the period I was talking about we were locked down, and since we have countryside out the back door never needed to wear masks.

What about the CO2?

Post by Age »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:41 pm Of course they work, and so do washing your hands and social distancing. Humans are dirty bastards--sneezing into their hands and then wiping icky droplets on everything they touch afterwards. Just wash your f'ing hands, or sneeze into your elbow if washing isn't an option.
I've never worn a mask, but then I avoid public transport, keep my distance anyway, and enjoy breathing freely. Plus, I couldn't care less if I get covid and I'm certainly not concerned about old farts who are at death's door anyway.
Would you care more if, when you do get covid, you then do start dying from that?

Could you then start caring? Or, could you still NOT care less?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:41 pm I'm sure that vaccine killed prince Philip.
What is this SURENESS based on, EXACTLY?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:41 pm Humans are ridiculous.
And, just maybe if 'you', human beings, up to the days when this was written, had NOT spend so much of your time and effort on, so called, "washing and keeping clean", then 'you' would NOT have evolved to become so susceptible to getting SO SICK, SO EASILY, and SO OFTEN.

By the way, I do NOT disagree that 'you', adult human beings, are ridiculous, AT ALL.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

The trouble with the belief that only old people are in danger from covid is that it is not true.
Not only can young people get it but they are very likley to carry in on to people that are more vulnerable.
The young cannot only die, but also get long term sickness.
And unless the world wakes up to an International Vaccination program it is likley that variants are going to invalidate current vaccines, and possible change to mutations that are more dangerous to other age groups.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/ ... t-risk-too
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:39 am No. During the period I was talking about we were locked down, and since we have countryside out the back door never needed to wear masks.

What about the CO2?
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamape ... le/2781743

As far as you not needing masks, your response to the other person implied, I thought at least, that mask wearing was part of your participation:
Gary Childress wrote: ↑Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:59 pm
I will say that wearing a mask does seem to help. My family and I have been wearing them pretty consistently and this past season is one of the few cold and flu seasons that none of us came down with any kind of virus or infection. Knock on wood, hope it stays that way.

coupled with the topic of the thread. Your precautions did not include masks, I now know. Or much mask wearing.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:58 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:39 am No. During the period I was talking about we were locked down, and since we have countryside out the back door never needed to wear masks.

What about the CO2?
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamape ... le/2781743
This is irrelevant.
All this does is give a work out for the lungs a little work out.
vegetariantaxidermy

Age wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:33 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:41 pm Of course they work, and so do washing your hands and social distancing. Humans are dirty bastards--sneezing into their hands and then wiping icky droplets on everything they touch afterwards. Just wash your f'ing hands, or sneeze into your elbow if washing isn't an option.
Would you care more if, when you do get covid, you then do start dying from that?

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:41 pm I'm sure that vaccine killed prince Philip.
And, just maybe if 'you', human beings, up to the days when this was written, had NOT spend so much of your time and effort on, so called, "washing and keeping clean", then 'you' would NOT have evolved to become so susceptible to getting SO SICK, SO EASILY, and SO OFTEN.

By the way, I do NOT disagree that 'you', adult human beings, are ridiculous, AT ALL.
You sound like a dirty old BUGGER. Actually I never GET sick. I only WASH my hands WHEN I need to--when ALL people SHOULD. If you aren't SICK, then what's THE point in a mask? The purpose of them is TO prevent infected people FROM passing it on. It was WHO which made THE recommendation that people not WEAR masks if they ARE well.
vegetariantaxidermy

The crux of the matter is in the emotive word 'vulnerable'. The sickly and frail are vulnerable to any illness. They can easily die of a cold. Just saying. I can hear the shrieks of anguish directed at non-mask-wearers, ''Waaah, you're trying to murder my granny/chainsmoking 90 year old brother with late stage emphysema/lung cancer wah wah...''
I think I will probably get the vaccine when it eventually becomes available to me AFTER all the 'special people' get theirs, but it certainly won't be to protect them, it will be to protect those close to me who I actually care about.

Post by Age »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:24 pm

You sound like a dirty old BUGGER.
Okay. Thank you for ANOTHER EXAMPLE of making an ASSUMPTION, based on NO PROOF and NOTHING but one's OWN INTERPRETATION.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:24 pmI
Actually I never GET sick.
That is handy. Also, you will NEVER actually die, either then, correct?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:24 pmI only WASH my hands WHEN I need to--when ALL people SHOULD.
So, how often is "need to" and when ALL people SHOULD? And is this the EXACT SAME occurrence for EVERy human beings for ALL TIMES?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:24 pm If you aren't SICK, then what's THE point in a mask?
So you do NOT get sick from "others" and/or from a 'sick' environment.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:24 pm The purpose of them is TO prevent infected people FROM passing it on.
1. How, and when, does one even KNOW that they are sick, or infectious.

2. Is there absolutely NO purpose AT in wearing a mask TO prevent one's self becoming sick or infected FROM "others" spreading the sickness or infections that they have?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:24 pm It was WHO which made THE recommendation that people not WEAR masks if they ARE well.
I do NOT know.
Walker

Post by Walker »

I imagine that if instead of The Beauty Philosophy one walked the Garbage Way, then masks would seem to help in the sense that the world and everyone in it would be a purdier place if all the folks wore masks.
vegetariantaxidermy

Age wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:41 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:24 pm

You sound like a dirty old BUGGER.
Okay. Thank you for ANOTHER EXAMPLE of making an ASSUMPTION, based on NO PROOF and NOTHING but one's OWN INTERPRETATION.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:24 pmI
Actually I never GET sick.
That is handy. Also, you will NEVER actually die, either then, correct?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:24 pmI only WASH my hands WHEN I need to--when ALL people SHOULD.
So, how often is "need to" and when ALL people SHOULD? And is this the EXACT SAME occurrence for EVERy human beings for ALL TIMES?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:24 pm If you aren't SICK, then what's THE point in a mask?
So you do NOT get sick from "others" and/or from a 'sick' environment.
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:24 pm The purpose of them is TO prevent infected people FROM passing it on.
1. How, and when, does one even KNOW that they are sick, or infectious.

2. Is there absolutely NO purpose AT in wearing a mask TO prevent one's self becoming sick or infected FROM "others" spreading the sickness or infections that they have?
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:24 pm It was WHO which made THE recommendation that people not WEAR masks if they ARE well.
I do NOT know.
Correct, and say what???