Masks Seem to Help

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Masks Seem to Help

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:59 pm I will say that wearing a mask does seem to help. My family and I have been wearing them pretty consistently and this past season is one of the few cold and flu seasons that none of us came down with any kind of virus or infection. Knock on wood, hope it stays that way.
Curiously, do you ever have philosophical ruminations, or do the nuts and bolts comprising buckets of questions define philosophical appropriateness?

I’ve always worn a respirator outdoors when spraying paint and it doesn’t take too long for the particulates to build up in the filters. Respirators also filter out odours and fumes, I suppose to a point, and a comfortable one can be had. I don’t know if they would stop a virus but they stop a lot more than what folks wear for fashion statements, and if folks were serious about mask protection, public wearing of a respirator would likely be socially acceptable these days, and effective if one handled it with kid gloves and ultraviolet decontamination. Enough cash will get a comfortable one and filters aren’t too terribly expensive. A good fashion designer might make them more comfortable and purdier.

I thought of this when sitting at a light and watching a man up on a ladder spray painting a building, without a mask. I guess he figured the wind would take it away but wind doesn’t work that way up against a large wall or the face of a cliff. I always provide my own respirator/mask when spray painting this or that, the house or a chair or one of the old cars of past years, or when other solvent/epoxy fumes are involved, when sanding drywall plaster or a lot of wood, although there comes a time in life when you look at the cost effectiveness of just how ordered things must be, and much motion becomes unnecessary, particularly when viewed from a hammock on a warm summer afternoon that threatens thunderstorms, listening to the songs of the birds and sipping a delicious beverage that is in the many ways of delicious. The guy on the ladder will have a cold comfort in knowing that no one gave him a mask to wear, or cold comfort in the knowing, after he has learned the difference, that no one had taught him right from wrong, or maybe it was that he had not listened.

And then suddenly, from the depths of a dream …
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:21 pm This is irrelevant.
Yes, it's not relevant to the symptoms you mentioned, but I thought I would throw in all the main problems research shows is likely or possible with masks.
All this does is give a work out for the lungs a little work out.
Well, then you disagree with the findings of the study.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:06 pm
Yes, it's not relevant to the symptoms you mentioned, but I thought I would throw in all the main problems research shows is likely or possible with masks.
I just think that 200 parts per million of CO2 inside a mask is what you would expect from breathed out air,
The tiny volume inside a mask is utterly irelevant. Totally harmless.
The main problem with masks is airflow which for people who existing breathing problems can be difficult especailly when moving about.
But the benefits from masks are better than the risk of infection.
It's well ove a year since mask wearing has become common, and no adverse effects are being reported.
As it is medical exeptions are offered.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:30 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:06 pm
I just think that 200 parts per million of CO2 inside a mask is what you would expect from breathed out air,
The tiny volume inside a mask is utterly irelevant. Totally harmless.
The main problem with masks is airflow which for people who existing breathing problems can be difficult especailly when moving about.
But the benefits from masks are better than the risk of infection.
It's well ove a year since mask wearing has become common, and no adverse effects are being reported.
For a mask to be any use then you can't touch it after you've put it on. Here, we were told to NOT wear a mask if we were well and only wear one if we wanted to otherwise. That was from WHO, which changes its mind every 5 minutes. There's no evidence that masks have any effect but plenty of evidence that hand washing, safe sneezing, and social distancing are the things that limit spread. As it stands here now, it's only on public transport that you are supposed to wear a mask. I wasn't aware of this and took my grand daughter for a train ride maskless. No one said anything, and I'm certainly not putting a mask on a three year old. There were only about three other people in the carriage anyway :lol:
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Expecting everyone to wear masks because your've smoked your way to the fragile state that you are now in. Why should I care and inconvenience myself for nasty arseholes like you? I'm sure you've had your 'shots' by now anyway, being in the 'vulnerable special protected' category, so what's your problem then?

👍

As I say up-thread: I'm all for folks doin' what they need to do to get thru the day.

But I ain't wearin' no mask (cuz I ain't a'fear'd of no beer virus).

Not gettin' the jab either.

But if other folks wanna: that's their business.
vegetariantaxidermy

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:38 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:37 am
Sculptor wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:53 am

Please refer to the remark I made above
Make me :lol: Awww, the truth hurts....
Please refer to the post I made above.
Make me :lol:
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:30 pm It's well ove a year since mask wearing has become common, and no adverse effects are being reported.
Well, one. Adverse effects are often like cold symptoms in the short term. But beyond that, sure, they are being reported. In the long term it will be very hard to compare mask users with some kind of control group. There were adverse effects in that study and others.

Exposure to heavy metals would likely take more time as we know from exposure in ground water from chemical companies. But the researcher who found the heavy metals consider the levels dangerously high in a number of different brands of mask. Not suprisingly including masks from China, but also from masks made in Western nations.

Further, no one except people openly skeptical of current policies wants to be seen as contributing to vaccine hesitancy. And beyond that FAcebook, for example, will downgrade posts that might lead to vaccine hesitancy using algorithms and including posts that present accepted facts. So, we are eliminating feedback. There are studies showing that even serious side effects of the vaccines are underreported. How much more so with masks, where people are much more likely to just assume they are safe - and it is rather amazing that heavy metals and graphene are in these masks. And then to blame their symptoms and later illnesses should they arise on other factors that are more accepted.

Then
https://clinmedjournals.org/articles/ji ... p?jid=jide

And there are other studies on other groups.

We have no idea what the long term effects are of the masks with graphene and heavy metals.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:00 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:30 pm It's well ove a year since mask wearing has become common, and no adverse effects are being reported.
Well, one. Adverse effects are often like cold symptoms in the short term. But beyond that, sure, they are being reported. In the long term it will be very hard to compare mask users with some kind of control group. There were adverse effects in that study and others.

Exposure to heavy metals would likely take more time as we know from exposure in ground water from chemical companies. But the researcher who found the heavy metals consider the levels dangerously high in a number of different brands of mask. Not suprisingly including masks from China, but also from masks made in Western nations.

Further, no one except people openly skeptical of current policies wants to be seen as contributing to vaccine hesitancy. And beyond that FAcebook, for example, will downgrade posts that might lead to vaccine hesitancy using algorithms and including posts that present accepted facts. So, we are eliminating feedback. There are studies showing that even serious side effects of the vaccines are underreported. How much more so with masks, where people are much more likely to just assume they are safe - and it is rather amazing that heavy metals and graphene are in these masks. And then to blame their symptoms and later illnesses should they arise on other factors that are more accepted.

Then
https://clinmedjournals.org/articles/ji ... p?jid=jide

And there are other studies on other groups.

We have no idea what the long term effects are of the masks with graphene and heavy metals.
Get a grip
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:05 pm Get a grip
Good argument. But thanks for the heads up.
I'll interact with other people who wouldn't confuse that with a response in a philosophy forum for adults.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:05 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:05 pm Get a grip
Good argument. But thanks for the heads up.
I'll interact with other people who wouldn't confuse that with a response in a philosophy forum for adults.
DO you really think that "heavy metals" are a significant problem, when masks can be made from cotton and other everyday materials?
The article you posted is not concerned with ordinary people but healthcare workers who wear masks without a break for long shifts. The srtudy has a small sample saze and offers no direct evidence as to cause. The study has NO control group.
It's always worth looking with a critical eye on these things
WHo are "ClinMed" anyway?
vegetariantaxidermy

If you think masks protect you then keep wearing one. Who's stopping you?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:59 pm I will say that wearing a mask does seem to help.
My wife and I agree. We're delighted we don't have to see the faces of all the idiots that believe whatever their governments tell them, which makes it easier to identify all the normal people we enjoy who are not suffering from the pandemic of paranoia.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

RCSaunders wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:22 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:59 pm I will say that wearing a mask does seem to help.
My wife and I agree. We're delighted we don't have to see the faces of all the idiots that believe whatever their governments tell them, which makes it easier to identify all the normal people we enjoy who are not suffering from the pandemic of paranoia.
Really? You just posted a snipe at me concerning my comment that humans are "frail and imperfect" because you say I shouldn't call people that and then you post an insult to people who wear masks in order to stay healthy?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:37 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:22 pm
Really? You just posted a snipe at me concerning my comment that humans are "frail and imperfect" because you say I shouldn't call people that and then you post an insult to people who wear masks in order to stay healthy?
So!? I don't care if people wear masks, I'm delighted that those who live in perpetual fear and believe every frightening thing the government or MSM tells them make themselves known. They aren't mankind, just part of the 99% who are idiots.

But idiocy is not an essential attribute of human beings. Nothing makes them that way. It's what they choose. No one needs to be ignorant, but most refuse to do the hard work of learning all they can. No one needs to be stupid, they could all learn to think better, but refuse to do the hard work required to learn how. It's easier to just believe what one's government, or authorities, or religious teachers, or experts tell them than to do the hard work of learning and thinking for themselves--so they believe whatever they are told and live in perpetual terror.

What is very sad is that none of them have to be that way. Anyone, at any time, can choose begin to learn all they can and quit allowing their fears, feelings, desires, whims, or other's determine what they think and believe, and to think for themselves.