Scary Virus

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Scary Virus

Post by Gary Childress »

Apparently, some people are getting mental health disorders from COVID, despite surviving the disease.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... d=msedgdhp
tillingborn

Re: Scary Virus

Post by tillingborn »

My wife tested positive on the 24th (Thank you Santa) and has been very unwell for the last 3 days - a bit better today, I'm happy to report. I don't suppose I will be far behind her, so if my posts become more psychotic, you will know why.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

tillingborn wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:14 pm My wife tested positive on the 24th (Thank you Santa) and has been very unwell for the last 3 days - a bit better today, I'm happy to report. I don't suppose I will be far behind her, so if my posts become more psychotic, you will know why.
I'm sorry to hear your wife contracted it but happy that she is doing better today. I hope your wife pulls through and I hope you don't get it or else get through it ok. :(

It's scary out there. I had plans for New Year's to celebrate with a few people at a small wine bar I sometimes go to but the news doesn't look good these days. I'll probably cancel my plans.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:48 pmI'm sorry to hear your wife contracted it but happy that she is doing better today. I hope your wife pulls through and I hope you don't get it or else get through it ok. :(

It's scary out there. I had plans for New Year's to celebrate with a few people at a small wine bar I sometimes go to but the news doesn't look good these days. I'll probably cancel my plans.
Thank you for your concern. I don't want to ruin your celebrations, but with a vaccine on the horizon, it wouldn't kill you to wait a bit.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

If we could determine the date when the pandemic will end, that would be the night for celebration :o
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

commonsense wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:42 pm If we could determine the date when the pandemic will end, that would be the night for celebration :o
Yeah. It would be nice to have a kind of "Thanksgiving" potluck with my neighbors when this is all over.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Don't want to diminish the importance and benefits of vaccines becoming available but according to some epidemiologists the Corona virus may be the less insidious introduction for many far more virulent ones to come. It makes sense. Among the worst are jungle viruses long sequestered being released by the decimation of forests like the Amazon compared to which the mortality rate of covid may be a footnote. We have no idea what the consequences will be or how deadly but among climatologists and disease experts nature's ominous reactions are certain to arrive.

As a species, excluding the many individuals who have long warned on future consequences, humans deserve everything that's coming to them and it won't be just one thing at a time.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Dubious wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:05 am Don't want to diminish the importance and benefits of vaccines becoming available but according to some epidemiologists the Corona virus may be the less insidious introduction for many far more virulent ones to come. It makes sense. Among the worst are jungle viruses long sequestered being released by the decimation of forests like the Amazon compared to which the mortality rate of covid may be a footnote. We have no idea what the consequences will be or how deadly but among climatologists and disease experts nature's ominous reactions are certain to arrive.

As a species, excluding the many individuals who have long warned on future consequences, humans deserve everything that's coming to them and it won't be just one thing at a time.
Jungle viruses will also be a footnote in the coming world of genetically engineered viruses..
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Atla wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:08 am
Dubious wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:05 am Don't want to diminish the importance and benefits of vaccines becoming available but according to some epidemiologists the Corona virus may be the less insidious introduction for many far more virulent ones to come. It makes sense. Among the worst are jungle viruses long sequestered being released by the decimation of forests like the Amazon compared to which the mortality rate of covid may be a footnote. We have no idea what the consequences will be or how deadly but among climatologists and disease experts nature's ominous reactions are certain to arrive.

Jungle viruses will also be a footnote in the coming world of genetically engineered viruses..
Good Lord, I hope not. I saw an article the other day speculating that the reason we haven't been visited by intelligent life from other planets is that intelligent life forms must surely destroy themselves at a certain point, perhaps before the advent of effective interstellar travel. It seems plausible to me, given what life has produced on this planet. I'm not sure I would want to meet interstellar travelers either. :(
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Genetically engineered viruses require intent to create. Based on what intent or purpose would it be created since a virus would certainly also infect those who created it? There's a considerable difference between chemical weapons and viruses which are usually transmissible where killing yourself is just as likely as killing the enemy.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Dubious wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:27 pm

Genetically engineered viruses require intent to create. Based on what intent or purpose would it be created since a virus would certainly also infect those who created it? There's a considerable difference between chemical weapons and viruses which are usually transmissible where killing yourself is just as likely as killing the enemy.
bioterrorism, besides some people think that killing enough people gets you into heaven
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Atla wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:43 am
bioterrorism, besides some people think that killing enough people gets you into heaven
Nothing to do with what you wrote and what I replied to.

In summary you haven't got a clue between the difference of purposely engineered chemical weapons and viruses.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Dubious wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:02 am

In summary you haven't got a clue between the difference of purposely engineered chemical weapons and viruses.
Maybe you live in a fairytale world of denial, but in the real world bioterrorism is a very dangerous possibility. Viruses created with the very intent to kill countless people, even if in the end the virus can infect the creators too. It's even worse when this gets paired with a dangerous cult ideology like: if you kill of humanity, you'll transcend, or you'll get into heaven or whatever.

In fact I think this is the most dangerous possibility of all so far in the 21st century, nuclear holocaust comes second.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

There seem to be some really sick people out there in the world. The more our technology advances to the point where any amateur nutjob can create a WMD in his garage, the closer humanity comes to self-annihilation. Technology is going to kill us one of these days unless we're lucky or evolve into more peaceful creatures. :(
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Atla wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:18 am
Dubious wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:02 am

Maybe you live in a fairytale world of denial, but in the real world bioterrorism is a very dangerous possibility. Viruses created with the very intent to kill countless people, even if in the end the virus can infect the creators too. It's even worse when this gets paired with a dangerous cult ideology like: if you kill of humanity, you'll transcend, or you'll get into heaven or whatever.

In fact I think this is the most dangerous possibility of all so far in the 21st century, nuclear holocaust comes second.
You're right! I stand corrected. Better to admit a mistake than ignoring it. My definition of bioterroism was different but clearly not the right one!