Who will take the vaccine?

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Post by Walker »

A bit of dark humour.

American politics encourages cynicism and distrust. From this can spin a lot of negative theories ...

- England is taking it first? Is that a euphemism for testing?

- Those who remember the fifties say, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice ...

- What happens to the second generation of mice?

- Is this more of that computer modeling stuff ... like climate science?
Walker

Re: Who will take the vaccine?

Post by Walker »

Then again, many of the same people who will risk putting all kinds of toxins into their bodies (psychedelics, alcohol, pot, pills, tobacco, various drugs, some mushrooms, plants, etc.,) will not risk taking a vaccine for the purpose of saving lives, including their own.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

BREAKING NEWS: People with a history of 'significant' allergic reactions should not be given the Pfizer vaccine, UK regulators warn
Hermit Philosopher

Post by Hermit Philosopher »

We’re told that airlines may require us to provide them with a vaccine certificate in order to book. I’ve got family abroad and feel that I shall have to take the vaccine whether I want to or not.

Humbly
Hermit
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Hermit Philosopher wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:23 am We’re told that airlines may require us to provide them with a vaccine certificate in order to book. I’ve got family abroad and feel that I shall have to take the vaccine whether I want to or not.

Humbly
Hermit
We have do as we are told because it is an offense to kill others.

We are offended by the word death and dying, we live to save lives, not kill them.

We are not okay with dying, even though we are all going to die.

Humans are stupid and dumb.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:17 am BREAKING NEWS: People with a history of 'significant' allergic reactions should not be given the Pfizer vaccine, UK regulators warn
This is weasel words.
People with a history of 'significant' allergic reactions, have to take care doing just about ANYTHING. This has nothing to do with the vaccine.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Just saw a great programme on BBC called "Hospital", which tracked the care of several COVID patients in ITU.
I was particular moved by an immigrant Chinese man who had continued to work as a bus driver through the pandemic to as he said "Keep London Moving".
During his extensive stay, he came very close to death, and even after being discharged will suffer for a long time due to post covid symptoms.
None of his family were ever infected - he managed to keep them safe. Where did he catch it - from F+cking Walkers who refused to do the decent thing and wear a mask. He said half his passengers never bothered.
These idiots were quite happy to use the bus, but did not give a rat's arse about the health of the man providing them with the service.

We live in a community of human beings. It is the most basic duty to do what we can to protect us all.
Taking a vaccine or wearing a mask is the most simply thing of benefit to the whole.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:08 pm Just saw a great programme on BBC called "Hospital", which tracked the care of several COVID patients in ITU.
I was particular moved by an immigrant Chinese man who had continued to work as a bus driver through the pandemic to as he said "Keep London Moving".
During his extensive stay, he came very close to death, and even after being discharged will suffer for a long time due to post covid symptoms.
None of his family were ever infected - he managed to keep them safe. Where did he catch it - from F+cking Walkers who refused to do the decent thing and wear a mask. He said half his passengers never bothered.
These idiots were quite happy to use the bus, but did not give a rat's arse about the health of the man providing them with the service.

We live in a community of human beings. It is the most basic duty to do what we can to protect us all.
Taking a vaccine or wearing a mask is the most simply thing of benefit to the whole.
But this is just the nature of being a human, I'm not saying all humans are selfish. But some humans are not concerned about any health threat that could cause them death while it is not affecting them directly, in other words if it's not happening to them they don't tend to care, and that's the way it is with some people.

Now, the ones that do care are those who have to enforce rules upon the people.

Capitalism obviously does not work. Welcome to the future of communism.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:03 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:17 am BREAKING NEWS: People with a history of 'significant' allergic reactions should not be given the Pfizer vaccine, UK regulators warn
This is weasel words.
People with a history of 'significant' allergic reactions, have to take care doing just about ANYTHING. This has nothing to do with the vaccine.
Having to take care doing just about ANYTHING including the being careful about the potential of the vaccine to cause an allergic reaction.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

not me, not my kid
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Not me either. Unless/until it becomes required to do some basic function or requirement of life, or to interact with my immediate community. I already take precautions and I am thoughtful not to put others at risk. I do not need to travel far from the woods where I live. There are things that can be done other than reactively injecting unknowable substances/reactions into one's body. The COVID path so far has been full of chaos, lies, and misinformation -- so I'd like more clarity and truth to unfold before I make a choice. In the meantime, we and our communities can decide what we're comfortable with in regard to each other.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

What does being a 'Chinese immigrant' have to do with the price of fish?
More nauseating wokie virtue-signalling. Besides, isn't it 'racist' to so much as mention a person's race or nationality? Hmm?

I've never worn a mask at any time, anywhere. It's hands that are the major spreaders anyway.

First in line for the vaccine are the extremely old in 'care facilities' because we have to make sure that the very old and very senile stay alive for as long as possible.

Now, wouldn't this be scandalous if the virus really 'is'' a danger to the young and healthy? Why would you vaccinate someone over 90, putting potential child victims at risk???
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:18 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:08 pm Just saw a great programme on BBC called "Hospital", which tracked the care of several COVID patients in ITU.

But this is just the nature of being a human, I'm not saying all humans are selfish. But some humans are not concerned about any health threat that could cause them death while it is not affecting them directly, in other words if it's not happening to them they don't tend to care, and that's the way it is with some people.

Now, the ones that do care are those who have to enforce rules upon the people.

Capitalism obviously does not work. Welcome to the future of communism.
Economic models do not necessitate either of these different behaviours.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

And I wouldn't bother getting the vaccine either. I'll leave that to the obese smokers and those who are at death's door anyway. They are welcome to it.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Dontaskme wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:21 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:03 pm
This is weasel words.
Having to take care doing just about ANYTHING including the being careful about the potential of the vaccine to cause an allergic reaction.
Vaccines are allergenic usually because of what is used to incubate the antibody. People who allergic to eggs have to avoid some vaccines for that reason.
The above advice is gratuitus.