Who will take the vaccine?

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Who will take the vaccine?

Post by Walker »

That's not a wig. That's proof.

Levine is a government official with a big voice.

Check out Levine's credentials. Who Levine professionally counsels.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Walker wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:46 pm That's not a wig. That's proof.

Levine is a government official with a big voice.

Check out Levine's credentials. Who Levine professionally counsels.
I did. I imagine he would terrify children...

For some reason an obvious man wearing a wig who seriously believes he looks like a woman is a terrifying sight. There's one who works at my local supermarket who is the spitting image of that 'trans' character in Shrek, the one who worked as a barmaid.

vegetariantaxidermy

Yet someone like Eddie Izard isn't scary at all, because he doesn't think he looks like a woman, and certainly doesn't believe he 'is' a woman, he just likes wearing dresses, makeup etc. for some reason. He doesn't come across as sinister.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:09 pm Yet someone like Eddie Izard isn't scary at all, because he doesn't think he looks like a woman, and certainly doesn't believe he 'is' a woman, he just likes wearing dresses, makeup etc. for some reason. He doesn't come across as sinister.
he ain't scary but he is a nutjob...

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... he-and-her
vegetariantaxidermy

henry quirk wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:33 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:09 pm Yet someone like Eddie Izard isn't scary at all, because he doesn't think he looks like a woman, and certainly doesn't believe he 'is' a woman, he just likes wearing dresses, makeup etc. for some reason. He doesn't come across as sinister.

I didn't know that. So he's just another misogynistic freak then. Well he looks seriously scary in that photo anyway.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:40 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:33 pm

I didn't know that. So he's just another misogynistic freak then. Well he looks seriously scary in that photo anyway.
Yeah. It's difficult to go along with people when they insist you accept or entertain their delusions or misconceptions. It may be a difficult thing for them but I think if someone like Izard accepts he isn't a woman but a man with whatever psychological tendencies, then there is ground for establishing rapport.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:03 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:17 am BREAKING NEWS: People with a history of 'significant' allergic reactions should not be given the Pfizer vaccine, UK regulators warn
This is weasel words.
People with a history of 'significant' allergic reactions, have to take care doing just about ANYTHING. This has nothing to do with the vaccine.
Um, no. Pretty much every health organization has suggested that people with allergies should consider not taking the vaccine.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:53 am
Sculptor wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:03 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:17 am BREAKING NEWS: People with a history of 'significant' allergic reactions should not be given the Pfizer vaccine, UK regulators warn
This is weasel words.
People with a history of 'significant' allergic reactions, have to take care doing just about ANYTHING. This has nothing to do with the vaccine.
Um, no. Pretty much every health organization has suggested that people with allergies should consider not taking the vaccine.
As I said. People with allergies have to take care, the vaccine is not a special case in any sense.
What is posted here is hysterical newspeak. IT's not "BREAK NEWS" LOL.
In a culture that puts allergy advice on just about every bloody thing, allergy advice is rendered meaingless.
Last time I bought a packet of chocolate covered brazil nuts the mesage on the packet said "Warning: may contain nuts".
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:32 am As I said. People with allergies have to take care, the vaccine is not a special case in any sense.
We have a pandemic, people are being urged to take the vaccines for themselves and for the good of others, the warning from some health agencies concerns even people with food allergies. I don't know what you mean by special case, that this doesn't qualify for. And it is not mentioned in the post you quoted, that this is a special case. If 'people with allergies do not need to be notified, I don't see why health organizations are warning people with allergies. I mean, they, according to you, are careful in general, so I don't know why the organizations bother. But they do.
It's certainly newspeak. I don't see it as hysterical.
In a culture that puts allergy advice on just about every bloody thing, allergy advice is rendered meaingless.
I hope you will pass that on to the world's health organizations.
Last time I bought a packet of chocolate covered brazil nuts the mesage on the packet said "Warning: may contain nuts".
Do you really not understand why that is important? Generally they do that when the product is not, for example, Milk chocolate with almonds. So, a person with a nut allergy might assume it has no nuts. But due to the factory food production processes, nuts used in other products perhaps leave a residue or traces through some process may end up in that particular product. Given that some people can die from nut allergies, even with tiny exposures, this simply makes sense, and they can choose a chocolate that has no chance of have nuts in them.

Given that the intention is that at a minimum tens of millions of people are supposed to take these vaccines, I think it's a good idea to let people know.

Calling them weasle words and projecting a lot of emotions onto something potentially useful seems, well, hysterical to me.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:09 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:32 am As I said. People with allergies have to take care, the vaccine is not a special case in any sense.
We have a pandemic, people are being urged to take the vaccines for themselves and for the good of others, the warning from some health agencies concerns even people with food allergies. I don't know what you mean by special case, that this doesn't qualify for. And it is not mentioned in the post you quoted, that this is a special case. If 'people with allergies do not need to be notified, I don't see why health organizations are warning people with allergies. I mean, they, according to you, are careful in general, so I don't know why the organizations bother. But they do.
It's certainly newspeak. I don't see it as hysterical.
I hope you will pass that on to the world's health organizations.
Do you really not understand why that is important? Generally they do that when the product is not, for example, Milk chocolate with almonds. So, a person with a nut allergy might assume it has no nuts. But due to the factory food production processes, nuts used in other products perhaps leave a residue or traces through some process may end up in that particular product. Given that some people can die from nut allergies, even with tiny exposures, this simply makes sense, and they can choose a chocolate that has no chance of have nuts in them.

Given that the intention is that at a minimum tens of millions of people are supposed to take these vaccines, I think it's a good idea to let people know.

Calling them weasle words and projecting a lot of emotions onto something potentially useful seems, well, hysterical to me.
"CHOCOLATE BRAZIL NUTS"
¬ May contain nuts.
F0ck off!
Walker

Post by Walker »

I wonder, how many people died of nut shock back when they served nuts on airplanes?

So much to know, so little time ... :roll:

A shock other than anaphylactic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNUbwijCKfw
vegetariantaxidermy

Walker wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:45 pm I wonder, how many people died of nut shock back when they served nuts on airplanes?

So much to know, so little time ... :roll:

A shock other than anaphylactic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNUbwijCKfw
None. It's a recent phenomenon. I get so sick of attention-seeking adults letting everyone within earshot hear about their supposed 'gluten/lactose/wheat....blah blah' 'intolerances'. Honestly. No one else gives a shit. And why do parents make their own child's supposed allergies and intolerances everyone ELSE'S problem? Why should ALL the children be banned from having peanut butter sandwiches 'just in case' some other child might be allergic to it? My daughter's list of things she isn't allowed to give her own daughter to take to playcentre is a mile long: avocado, bananas, nuts of any description, peanut butter, strawberries, blueberries... In other words, all the things that are really GOOD for children, yet they don't mind parents giving their children packets of chippies and other salty crap, sugary bars that will destroy their teeth, lollies, and drinks other than water (more teeth-destroying). Perhaps therein lies the reason for all the 'allergies'. Poor immune systems as a result of crappy diets.

https://www.mic.com/articles/125970/whe ... to-peanuts
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:11 pm "CHOCOLATE BRAZIL NUTS"
¬ May contain nuts.
F0ck off!
Weasel words.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:49 pm