Trump - a puzzling enigma

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:38 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:32 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:23 pm

How is he any worse than Bush 2? I found that mass murderer far more loathesome.
I agree with you. I just don’t think that that counts as a positive for Trump.
No, but it shows how out of proportion the hatred for him is within the hypocritical wokie mob.
But only a conservative can love a narcissist.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

commonsense wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:46 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:32 pm

I agree with you. I just don’t think that that counts as a positive for Trump.
No, but it shows how out of proportion the hatred for him is within the hypocritical wokie mob.
Perhaps, but that has nothing to do with what I have written. And Hillary isn't a narcissist?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

commonsense wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:27 pm
Dubious wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:37 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:54 pm

What do his supporters vote for?

Seriously, can anyone tell me?
That's precisely the point! What are they voting for? He's the most loathsome scumbag president by far the U.S. ever had - whether mentally deficient or not - who's literally in the process of tearing the country apart. So even though he's trailing in the polls, how come his voter base is still so high and admire what is least admirable especially in someone who, by his position since the 50's has been regarded as The Leader of the free world. After Trump the U.S. will never be considered as such again. Anyone who thinks this is still a matter of politics is a total idiot and anyone who believes that Trump may be a smart person who surrounded himself with incompetents as advisers is also one since a smart person would be smart enough not to hire stupids in leading a country or corporation.

The only way to describe the US now is one of diminishment and paradox which is especially dangerous for the West since the East now has its own superpower (created with the indispensable help of the West) to challenge it on all fronts. There is indeed a Decline of the West happening through incompetence and corruption when its so-called center of power starts eroding.
Yes.

Now let me take a stab at my question above:

First of all, let me say that when a choice is really beyond all reason, it probably is an emotional choice and not a reasoned one. With that in mind, let me set the scene for an unreasonable, emotional choice.

Let’s say, hypothetically, that I am someone who hated school and struggled through. As such, I never liked those other kids—the ones who got top grades all the time, usually without even trying.

I’m not dumb. I guess I just learn in a different way than how they were trying to teach me. But the elite ones—the ones who got good grades and went on to the community college in our town or to the big-time universities—they think I’m stupid.

And that hurts. Deep. I will do anything I can to get even with them, those assholes who take all the good jobs and fly on their private jets and eat caviar whenever they want to and then send their kids to fancy private schools.

Now for my choice. I am motherfuckin’ pissed. I’m going to screw all those smarties shitheads. I’m going to vote for Trump.
...but this doesn't make sense either since you'd be voting - I'm not saying YOU specifically - for exactly the type of person you're trying to get even with. If anyone has proven himself to have a toxic elitist complex there's hardly anyone equal to Trump who has to put his name on everything.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:02 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:46 pm

Perhaps, but that has nothing to do with what I have written. And Hillary isn't a narcissist?
I apologize. I was trying to be funny. I appreciate your post.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I voted for ORANGE MAN in '16: to wreck shit

I'll vote for ORANGE MAN in '20: to continue wreckin' shit

he's my lil ORANGE hand grenade

he's a glorious bottle of ORANGE liquid drano

he's speedy ORANGE buckshot

he's my ORANGE baseball bat

I hired him to give me less and my enemies more
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Dubious wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:34 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:27 pm
Dubious wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:37 pm

That's precisely the point! What are they voting for? He's the most loathsome scumbag president by far the U.S. ever had - whether mentally deficient or not - who's literally in the process of tearing the country apart. So even though he's trailing in the polls, how come his voter base is still so high and admire what is least admirable especially in someone who, by his position since the 50's has been regarded as The Leader of the free world. After Trump the U.S. will never be considered as such again. Anyone who thinks this is still a matter of politics is a total idiot and anyone who believes that Trump may be a smart person who surrounded himself with incompetents as advisers is also one since a smart person would be smart enough not to hire stupids in leading a country or corporation.

The only way to describe the US now is one of diminishment and paradox which is especially dangerous for the West since the East now has its own superpower (created with the indispensable help of the West) to challenge it on all fronts. There is indeed a Decline of the West happening through incompetence and corruption when its so-called center of power starts eroding.
Yes.

Now let me take a stab at my question above:

First of all, let me say that when a choice is really beyond all reason, it probably is an emotional choice and not a reasoned one. With that in mind, let me set the scene for an unreasonable, emotional choice.

Let’s say, hypothetically, that I am someone who hated school and struggled through. As such, I never liked those other kids—the ones who got top grades all the time, usually without even trying.

I’m not dumb. I guess I just learn in a different way than how they were trying to teach me. But the elite ones—the ones who got good grades and went on to the community college in our town or to the big-time universities—they think I’m stupid.

And that hurts. Deep. I will do anything I can to get even with them, those assholes who take all the good jobs and fly on their private jets and eat caviar whenever they want to and then send their kids to fancy private schools.

Now for my choice. I am motherfuckin’ pissed. I’m going to screw all those smarties shitheads. I’m going to vote for Trump.
...but this doesn't make sense either since you'd be voting - I'm not saying YOU specifically - for exactly the type of person you're trying to get even with. If anyone has proven himself to have a toxic elitist complex there's hardly anyone equal to Trump who has to put his name on everything.
I suppose Trump is elite in most respects except for educational success. Perhaps it would have been better if I used intelligencia instead. The educationally elite are probably not represented by Trump.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Dubious wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:15 am The enigma is not Trump. He's just another low-life coward, a piece of shit without any redeeming qualities. The real enigma are the massive amounts of truly brain dead dolts who will vote for him no matter what he says and does. With the way it's turning out there probably isn't a single country with such a huge amount of loathsome low-life's as currently inhabit the US of A. One wonders what makes these cretins tick. It can't be anything remotely related to integrity or honesty even if they think they have it which can only be if lame-brained enough not to know the meaning of either.
It's their revenge against the Establishment, and they think Trump is their saviour (LOL).
Their heads would explode if they realized that the Establishment exists and thrives because of them in the first place.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Atla wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:48 pm
Dubious wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:15 am The enigma is not Trump. He's just another low-life coward, a piece of shit without any redeeming qualities. The real enigma are the massive amounts of truly brain dead dolts who will vote for him no matter what he says and does. With the way it's turning out there probably isn't a single country with such a huge amount of loathsome low-life's as currently inhabit the US of A. One wonders what makes these cretins tick. It can't be anything remotely related to integrity or honesty even if they think they have it which can only be if lame-brained enough not to know the meaning of either.
It's their revenge against the Establishment, and they think Trump is their saviour (LOL).
Their heads would explode if they realized that the Establishment exists and thrives because of them in the first place.
No doubt! What started off as tragedy has long turned into a farce and there's no guarantee it won't continue and escalate for another four years in which case the US will have lost whatever remained of Good Will or their value system forever.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dubious wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:10 pm
No doubt! What started off as tragedy has long turned into a farce and there's no guarantee it won't continue and escalate for another four years in which case the US will have lost whatever remained of Good Will or their value system forever.
Meanwhile, those with orange-colored glasses dance around with glee, completely unaware/uncaring of the toxic ignorance and degeneration they perpetuate while they watch Rome burn. Any self-serving idiot can burn something up without a care for all of the foolish and unnecessary loss. Whereas, evolving skillfully and responsibly requires much more awareness and honor than is routinely performed by Trump and all the clowns piled in his clown car. History will tell the tale of this "tremendous" low point in humankind's mental function.
henry quirk

you have an unrepentant ORANGE MAN voter right in front of you...

Post by henry quirk »

...and not a one asks him a single question

lots of conjecture & assumption, but no questions
Lacewing

Re: you have an unrepentant ORANGE MAN voter right in front of you...

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:59 am ...and not a one asks him a single question
Maybe because some people don't view you as credible. Your opinion is not some beacon of truth that's needed in order to assess what is going on. You routinely disseminate unbalanced and skewed "facts" and conclusions, and you have ignored when you were questioned about that. So why would anyone feel that you are some kind of upstanding representative of anything? You're just a loud-mouthed cranky old man who likes to boast about his beer, guns, self-ownership (as if no one else contributes anything to the life you live), and orange leader who "works for you". It's just boastful self-serving noise.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I hope Trump wins. He makes me laugh every night.

'The world is doing worse than the US' (re covid).

'Shifting to Thigh land'.

Lawsuit against NRA.
Trump: 'It's a terrible thing' (apparently that's it).

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:08 am
Meanwhile, those with orange-colored glasses dance around with glee, completely unaware/uncaring of the toxic ignorance and degeneration they perpetuate while they watch Rome burn. Any self-serving idiot can burn something up without a care for all of the foolish and unnecessary loss. Whereas, evolving skillfully and responsibly requires much more awareness and honor than is routinely performed by Trump and all the clowns piled in his clown car. History will tell the tale of this "tremendous" low point in humankind's mental function.
With the near total corruption of the U.S. under Trump likely to be curbed but not stopped even under another President and the failure of Europe to reorganize as a collective power in realization that what was its center in the West can no-longer be relied on, it's a very real possibility that control will gradually be handed to the monolithic powers of the East. A palpable sign of that will be when the US$ will be less and less regarded as a reliable reserve currency. It's demise doesn't have to be official; its gradual erosion as THE world currency will be the harbinger of a major power shift happening.

Since Trump's America First policy means denigrating and attacking Western alliances instead of striving for resolution as among family members, weakening of the West is a forgone conclusion, especially so if he gains another term. Even if, according to polls, it seems unlikely now, there may still be enough entrenched idiots in the U.S. to change the course of history forever. The West will lose as the United States yields to corruption, stupidity and cowardice as manifested by its President and his supporters. Sometimes it doesn't take much to get the momentum going. The America First approach - which it was anyways since the early 50's - as implemented under Trump and so applauded by a huge sub-group of brainless Americans will instead curtail its influence and slowly rot it from the inside while becoming ever more aggressive and unpredictable during the decline.

Glad I won't be around anymore!
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dubious wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:03 am
Lacewing wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:08 am

With the near total corruption of the U.S. under Trump likely to be curbed but not stopped even under another President and the failure of Europe to reorganize as a collective power in realization that what was its center in the West can no-longer be relied on, it's a very real possibility that control will gradually be handed to the monolithic powers of the East. A palpable sign of that will be when the US$ will be less and less regarded as a reliable reserve currency. It's demise doesn't have to be official; its gradual erosion as THE world currency will be the harbinger of a major power shift happening.

Since Trump's America First policy means denigrating and attacking Western alliances instead of striving for resolution as among family members, weakening of the West is a forgone conclusion, especially so if he gains another term. Even if, according to polls, it seems unlikely now, there may still be enough entrenched idiots in the U.S. to change the course of history forever. The West will lose as the United States yields to corruption, stupidity and cowardice as manifested by its President and his supporters. Sometimes it doesn't take much to get the momentum going. The America First approach - which it was anyways since the early 50's - as implemented under Trump and so applauded by a huge sub-group of brainless Americans will instead curtail its influence and slowly rot it from the inside while becoming ever more aggressive and unpredictable during the decline.
Agreed!

I don't think we can fix our current systems/reality by being limited to the kind of thinking and energy used to create such things. So, I'm visualizing a quantum reality shift collectively! :D Something like a tidal wave of consciousness/awareness that sweeps throughout all of humankind, eradicating the diseased thinking/blindness of our current reality, such that it's no longer useful or desired -- based on new, broader awareness. Like collectively waking up from a dark dream. I think it's possible... even if it happens gradually. I think there's energy/capability we can utilize beyond the physical platforms and patterned realities we may believe ourselves chained to and identified with. I practice it in my own life. On a "large scale", I think there are (must surely be) phenomenal collective capabilities beyond the limits of human comprehension (currently) about the greater "Universe" we are part of.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Still not as bad as the GW Bush presidency. That's when the US truly lost its spirit, not with Trump, who is just a clown, a symptom.