Trump - a puzzling enigma

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:10 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:06 am
Lacewing wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:01 am Well, that's an interesting assessment. But it might be inaccurate to characterize what idiocy might do: there could be so many degrees and strains and behaviors of it. It could be just as true that someone who is faking their way through with bullshit because they really don't understand might act calm to appear to be confident and in control, when really they don't have a clue.
Well, that's a good point, also. I suppose the "easier" explanation (using Occam's razor) would be that Trump talks like an idiot and therefore is an idiot. I suppose I'm going a little out of the way trying to hypothesize how he might still be somewhat intelligent. But that's what we idiots do sometimes. :oops:
He just doesn't talk like a politician. He doesn't have the gift of the gab. The gift of the gab is by no means a measure of intelligence--in fact it's often quite the opposite.
True. I've heard that Biden has lost a lot upstairs as well. But he's a little better tuned into the professionals who do have the knowledge. Of course, having the experts in charge hasn't kept us out of unjust foreign wars either. In the end, I think that is really what a lot of ordinary American voters want, to stop all these foreign wars which aren't any of our business. Our leaders keep getting us into them. I have to give Trump some credit that he hasn't started any new foreign wars so far, but his report card on global climate change and the rights of immigrants is pretty bad. If only we could have the best of all worlds. No wars, better policies concerning climate change, and more tolerance on immigration.
Last edited by Gary Childress on Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atla

Post by Atla »

See, none of you gets 'him'. Trump is a fairly intelligent clinical NPD. There are two main forms of narcissism (unfortunately we use the same word for them), but 95%+ of people are only familiar with the garden variety narcissist as they are everywhere and can be more or less understood using normal human psychology. Clinical NPDs don't even remotely have normal human psychology, this one is probably a severe developmental issue / defense mechanism stemming from early childhood. Actually Trump is so much of a textbook case that he was used in some textbooks as the best example.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

As I had posted the US' approach and handling of the Covid19 pandemic is an embarrassment relative to the individual countries, especially to some to the developing and 3rd world countries.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29186

In addition to Trump not in alignment with facts and truth, in the above case, we have to blame his advisers who gave him the misguided information where they try to play with statistics.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:26 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:39 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:14 pm

We don't close down the planet for a percentage of the population that could just as easily die of a cold. We don't even prevent anyone with a cold from visiting aged care facilities. It makes no sense. The flu 'vaccine' is a joke. And if we have never been able to develop a vaccine for the common cold then what makes us think we will ever have one for this? It's from the group of viruses.
Stop being such a PC retard
I think you are suffering from dementia along with all your other health problems. I'm sorry about that. You used to be quite intelligent.
I'll take that as a compliment from a person that thinks Trump id a genius - you obviously have thinks arse about face
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:31 am
Lacewing wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:40 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:57 pm He or his team selects the graphs and “facts” he presents. He does not appear to understand all of what he says, as evidenced by the frequent need to walk back or to explain/defend his statements.
Now he will probably blame his staff for giving him indefensible graphs that don't support his delusion.
Well, I suppose it could be that Trump is an intelligent person who has surrounded himself with idiots for advice.
HAHA.
Did you see the video?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:23 am
Sculptor wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:39 pm

Stop being such a PC retard
I think you are suffering from dementia along with all your other health problems. I'm sorry about that. You used to be quite intelligent.
I'll take that as a compliment from a person that thinks Trump id a genius - you obviously have thinks arse about face
I said compared to the average person--like you. He's still an idiot. Learn to read you imbecile.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:26 am

I said compared to the average person--like you. He's still an idiot. Learn to read you imbecile.
What you say asserts that Trump's "genius" is above average. Only a f&cking shit-brained f&ckwit like you, whose intelligence is in the lower 5 percentile could see Trump as anything but a damn fool.
You'd not know a smart statement if it was hitting you in the face like a wet fish.
How you have the balls to post on a Philosophy Forum is indicative of just how poorly you understand where you are and what you are doing.
vegetariantaxidermy

Sculptor wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:00 am

What you say asserts that Trump's "genius" is above average. Only a f&cking shit-brained f&ckwit like you, whose intelligence is in the lower 5 percentile could see Trump as anything but a damn fool.
You'd not know a smart statement if it was hitting you in the face like a wet fish.
How you have the balls to post on a Philosophy Forum is indicative of just how poorly you understand where you are and what you are doing.
Being surrouned by wokie morons has turned your brain to mush.
What the fuck is it to you what I think of Trump? Fecking thought-policing, PC wokie little wj.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:27 am

Then why don't you fucc off wokie moron!
vegetariantaxidermy

Sculptor wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:30 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:27 am
Then why don't you fucc off wokie moron!
You fuccc orff.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:24 am
Lacewing wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:40 pm
Now he will probably blame his staff for giving him indefensible graphs that don't support his delusion.
Well, I suppose it could be that Trump is an intelligent person who has surrounded himself with idiots for advice.
HAHA.
Did you see the video?
I watched the whole few minutes of its length.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:07 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:24 am

HAHA.
Did you see the video?
I watched the whole few minutes of its length.
And from that you conclude that Trump is intelligent? Did you not understand what was going on?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:33 am
If he were truly an idiot, I would think he'd be showing more anger because an idiot usually doesn't see he's wrong and that's when anger hits. When you know you're saying something that isn't true, as Trump appears to, you typically don't get angry at someone for disagreeing. I think an idiot would generally get angry when they are cocksure they're right about something.
I think he believes that what he says is true or he wishes that what he says is true. He may not have exploded during the interview, but calm is not how those who work and attend meetings with him have described him.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Dubious wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:15 am The enigma is not Trump. He's just another low-life coward, a piece of shit without any redeeming qualities. The real enigma are the massive amounts of truly brain dead dolts who will vote for him no matter what he says and does. With the way it's turning out there probably isn't a single country with such a huge amount of loathsome low-life's as currently inhabit the US of A. One wonders what makes these cretins tick. It can't be anything remotely related to integrity or honesty even if they think they have it which can only be if lame-brained enough not to know the meaning of either.
What do his supporters vote for? I’ve only heard complaints against Biden’s policies and persona, but not anything promoting Trump per se.

Seriously, can anyone tell me?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Atla wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:51 am See, none of you gets 'him'. Trump is a fairly intelligent clinical NPD. There are two main forms of narcissism (unfortunately we use the same word for them), but 95%+ of people are only familiar with the garden variety narcissist as they are everywhere and can be more or less understood using normal human psychology. Clinical NPDs don't even remotely have normal human psychology, this one is probably a severe developmental issue / defense mechanism stemming from early childhood. Actually Trump is so much of a textbook case that he was used in some textbooks as the best example.
This makes sense. And his limited vocabulary suggests a comorbid organic cognitive deficit, I think. Or perhaps he never learned how to speak intellectually.