Trump - a puzzling enigma

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Walker

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:31 pm Amazing timing, that the announcement of a vaccine came the day after the election. Just saying.
Yep. More swamp.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Walker wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:26 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:57 pm ... as I have a medical background I take seriously, I will make light of one of his heroes, Donald Stump.
Then because of a medical view on the world President Trump should be your hero for making a vaccine available in less than a year.
He should be your hero for allowing private enterprise to develop a vaccine he could submit purchase orders on.

Pfizer and Moderna aside, your hero did nothing. When he could’ve orchestrated a federal response, he did nothing. When he could’ve implemented a plan, he used misinformation to prevent panic while allowing the pandemic to grow.

I understand that you rightly praise Hump for other things, but he didn’t make a vaccine.

He should, however, be credited for Project Warp Speed which permits privately produced pharmaceuticals to be approved in very short order. Whether that turns out to be boon or bane remains to be seen with the test of time.
Walker

Post by Walker »

You mean he wasn't actually mixing the chemicals?

Well, what do you know.

You call Present Trump various disrespectful names.

Are you a child?

You sound like one.

What should we call you?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Walker wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:34 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:31 pm Amazing timing, that the announcement of a vaccine came the day after the election. Just saying.
Yep. More swamp.
The corporate decisions to announce after the election, when surely something in the way of good news could have been issued just a few days earlier, suggests that big pharm wanted Blump to be defeated.

I don’t understand why a portion of corporate America would favor a moderate Democrat over the sitting president. Is there an explanation of big pharm’s motive that brings sense to this odd occurrence?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Yep. More swamp.

Eventually, evidence emerges from deduction.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:54 pm
Yep. More swamp.
The corporate decisions to announce after the election, when surely something in the way of good news could have been issued just a few days earlier, suggests that big pharm wanted Blump to be defeated.

I don’t understand why a portion of corporate America would favor a moderate Democrat over the sitting president. Is there an explanation of big pharm’s motive that brings sense to this odd occurrence?
Yes, and corporate America is known for its benevolence and altruism....
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Walker wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:49 pm You mean he wasn't actually mixing the chemicals?

Well, what do you know.

Are you a child?

You sound like one.

What should we call you?
I’ll say again: he should be lauded for speeding up the approval process. We may later on reverse that praise if it turns out that the vaccine has as yet undiscovered safety issues, but, for now, there’s no need to assume that the process would allow an unsafe drug to pass through to the public.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:59 pm
Yep. More swamp.

Wouldn’t any corporation make greater profits if fewer restrictions are imposed by executive orders? Wouldn’t a moderate Democrat go all environmental on manufacturing processes in a way that makes manufacturing more costly?
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:06 pm

Wouldn’t any corporation make greater profits if fewer restrictions are imposed by executive orders? Wouldn’t a moderate Democrat go all environmental on manufacturing processes in a way that makes manufacturing more costly?
Go and ask them. Whatever the reason, someone in a very 'high' place wanted him out. Being hated by massive corporations is hardly a mark AGAINST a person's character and policies.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Walker wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:49 pm You mean he wasn't actually mixing the chemicals?

Well, what do you know.

Are you a child?

You sound like one.

What should we call you?
True, Donald Trump cannot afford to be called disrespectful names.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Well, what do you know.

Are you a child?

You sound like one.

What should we call you?
True, Donald Trump cannot afford to be called disrespectful names. Poor man! He is probably doing the best he can.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:10 pm

Go and ask them. Whatever the reason, someone in a very 'high' place wanted him out. Being hated by massive corporations is hardly a mark AGAINST a person's character and policies.
Good points.

I think they did oppose his policies, but I cannot see why they did.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:57 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:19 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:46 pm

I do so in honor of the use of “beer virus”.
I have no idea what you mean.
For as long as Mr. Quirk continues to make light of Coronavirus, which as I have a medical background I take seriously, I will make light of one of his heroes, Donald Stump.
beer virus (the response to it) is a joke...you take it seriously, I don't

as for ORANGE MAN as my hero: like B, you haven't paid attention to a damn thing I've posted, ever
vegetariantaxidermy

commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:18 pm

Good points.

I imagine large corporations wouldn't be a fan of his anti-globalisation policies and anti TPP stance.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:54 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:18 pm

Good points.

I imagine large corporations wouldn't be a fan of his anti-globalisation policies and anti TPP stance.
That makes plenty of sense.