Trump - a puzzling enigma

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

seeds

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by seeds »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:17 pm
seeds wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:44 pm Now with that being said, what is truly disturbing and frustrating is that those who are under Trump’s thrall will question you as to what you are referring to when you speak of him being a liar, as if they have never witnessed such a thing.

And all I can conclude from that level of obliviousness is that they themselves must be pathological liars, and that they simply don’t see it as being a moral problem in either themselves, nor in others.
I've wondered about this too. I think it could be a level of immature development in such people -- like children who deny the existence of cookies when there are crumbs all over their face. Pretense is powerful. Still, how they (as adults) can imagine that any of us believe such obvious pretense, is what leads me to often conclude they're stupid or severely intoxicated. I think they are capable of being much more intelligent... but for whatever reasons, something has happened to trigger their undeveloped emotions in such a way that they are presently little more than zombies destroying everything in sight on behalf of the intoxicating churning swamp of the SwampMaster and his toxic fumes.
“Severely intoxicated” from the toxic fumes of the “SwampMaster,” indeed.

I mean, just look at the face of the woman holding the baby in the picture below...

Judging from her expression, Trump could hock-up a loogie and spit it into her child’s mouth and she would think it was Holy Communion.

No human on earth (and I don't care who they are) is worthy of such idolistic worship.

And when you factor-in the decades of Trump’s corrupt dealings and his deceitful personality, the whole situation becomes difficult to fathom.

As I stated in an earlier post, we seem to be living in “Bizarro World.”
_______
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

"
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people
."

Discussing the merits of the values and principles America was founded upon is very difficult for the secular mind attracted to pragmatic benefits. Instead they fixate on events and people. In this case. It is far easier to curse out people then to impartially ponder ideas. It is no wonder then why statist slavery is so attractive as a concept because a person doesn't believe it includes them. This is why they become useful idiots. They do not realize they hate trump becuse he represents all that opposes statist slavery.

The attraction to slavery is so powerful I really doubt it could ever be rejected in pursuit of and sustaining liberty. The great minds and their influence capable of this higher quality of reason is lacking.
commonsense

Re: my addendum from above

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:36 pm
commonsense wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:27 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:18 pm 'losers and suckers'

Another example of what I'm talkin' about: an anonymous source claims Trump said this; multiple folks have come forward disputin' anonymous and what gets airplay? 'losers and suckers'

How is this reporting (and not agitation-propaganda), and why do folks like you -- intelligent, curious -- eat it up, no questions asked?

That's a rhetorical question: I don't expect an answer.
I’m skeptical. It’s believable, but the best lies always are. So, it could be a lie, but I’m waiting for evidence or sworn testimony before I‘ll come to any conclusions.
a question: why do you oppose Trump?

I've explained, many times, why I voted for him in '16 & while I'll vote for him again in Nov...no one here who opposes him ever explains why they oppose him, beyond nebulous crap like he lies!, he's a moron!, he's bad news! and you're an evil lyin', racist for backin' him!, and that nebulous crap, as I've pointed out, is spoonfed by folks who skew away from Trump consistently, to stir up the emotions of folks who skew away from Trump.

up-thread I asked a question: you were snarky about it

can you answer without snark?
No one has ever asked me directly why I oppose Trump!

Let me say what I don’t mind about him first. I don’t mind that he’s a Republican. I used to call myself a Democrat, but I realize now that I’m a swinger—I mean a swing voter. I’ve voted almost just as many times Republican as Democrat over the years. I think of Trump as being on the right/center. He’s a conservative but not on the far right. I tend to be a Republican on social issues and a Democrat on economic issues. That’s just me, a senior of 72 years.

Now to tell you why I oppose Trump. I know why I oppose him, but I may not be able to express it well. Trump repulses me. I’ll give details on this as they come to mind.

He mocked a chair-bound cerebral palsy guy. He disparaged the parents of an honored Army officer killed in action while defending our nation. I am a decorated Army combat veteran who served with too many who also gave their lives for the sake of our national interests. HE DISMISSED JOHN MCCAIN’S HEROIC ACTIONS AS A JET FIGHTER PILOT WHO WAS SHOT DOWN, INJURED & CAPTURED AND WHO DECLINED TO BE RELEASED AHEAD OF OTHERS JUST BECAUSE HIS FATHER WAS AN ADMIRAL. He dishonored the American flag by touching it. He belittled a gesture made to bring attention to racial inequality by claiming it was about anti-patriotism to the Flag. He declared Mexicans to be rapists and murderers. He apparently stated that African countries are shitholes. He desecrated the White House by using it for campaign politics. He caged children. He watched TV, played golf and apparently napped. He hides his tax returns. He has numerous NDAs. He calls decent people by insulting slurs that he seems to enjoy creating. He fires his own staff, denigrates them and turns them into enemies. He appoints cabinet members who are unqualified for their positions. He upbraids the NSA, the NIH, the CDC for doing their assigned jobs. He has discredited the news organizations. He said that it’s OK to grab women by their genitals. His vocabulary is atrocious. He stands in my place as my representative to the world. He refrains from sufficiently calling out North Korea and Russia. He lies. He lies. He lies. I don’t tell lies except for bluffing at poker.

That’s all I can think of for now.

BTW, my answer to your question about what would make me support Trump the Schlump was not snark. I considered the question at length. Since I don’t believe he can make up for the things that disgust me, the only thing I would applaud him for is his resigning from his present position.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

seeds wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:13 pm Judging from her expression, Trump could hock-up a loogie and spit it into her child’s mouth and she would think it was Holy Communion.
:lol:
seeds wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:13 pmNo human on earth (and I don't care who they are) is worthy of such idolistic worship.
Absolutely agree!
seeds wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:13 pmAnd when you factor-in the decades of Trump’s corrupt dealings and his deceitful personality, the whole situation becomes difficult to fathom.
Unfathomable!
seeds wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:13 pmAs I stated in an earlier post, we seem to be living in “Bizarro World.”
Yes. Or even worse... there might be many who (consciously or unconsciously) are intent on actually manifesting the apocalypse, complete with a Hellish landscape and deceptive leader, in order to act out stories from the Bible.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

From what I'm getting, it's the working class people that have been disenfranchised by republican figures since Reagan, (you know, "bedtime for bonzo," I mean he was great with the chimp), of which they're unaware, that has caused their living from pay check to pay check, such that they actually believe the money grubber is in it for them rather than/along with himself. Crazed indeed.

If they only new how he was setting them up for the kill, with his withdrawing from several nuclear arms agreements. Well actually the third of which will be on the chopping block in the beginning of 2021 if he wins.

Not to mention de-funding the EPA, WHO and the CDC. I'm thinking Peoples Temple and Heavens Gate!

Everyone that cares for their lives has to support Biden, otherwise they might see ground zero in their own back yards, if only for a second.

Though it would be nice to see his supporters faces when the nucs start flying and for the first time ever war was brought to our own piece of terra firma. The thought is kinda laughable, you know, poetic justice!
But then in reality, I really wouldn't wish that on the most ignorant of our people.

The real question is, "can we save them from themselves?"
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

seeds wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:13 pmI mean, just look at the face of the woman holding the baby in the picture below...

Judging from her expression, Trump could hock-up a loogie and spit it into her child’s mouth and she would think it was Holy Communion.

No human on earth (and I don't care who they are) is worthy of such idolistic worship.

And when you factor-in the decades of Trump’s corrupt dealings and his deceitful personality, the whole situation becomes difficult to fathom.

As I stated in an earlier post, we seem to be living in “Bizarro World.”
_______
By 'we' I hope you are referring to the people of US.

"TRUMP - a puzzling enigma"
- only half as puzzling as trying to understand an entire nation of weird people that are obsessed with junk food (thus making generations of dumber offspring), Guns, Big Carbon fuel guzzling muscle cars, WWE FAKE Wrestling, 'World Series Baseball' - none of the rest of the world are involved duh!, American Football - a bunch of wankers wearing helmets and body armour on a field where game play barely lasts half a minute, almost half the population will refuse to have a Covid vaccine according to a recent survey, Plea Deals in the 'justice' system, incarceration for possession of drugs - meaning you are unlikely to ever be employed again, the most incarcerated nation on the planet - 2.3 million people (LAND OF THE FREE!! Hypocrisy), if you are rich you are worshiped and can literally get away with murder, if you are poor you are abandoned to the streets, RACISM beyond anywhere on the planet, war waged to enable more profit for the elites that OWN the two parties under consideration...
...need I say more - THE ENTIRE NATION IS AN ENIGMA.
seeds

Post by seeds »

attofishpi wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:24 pm By 'we' I hope you are referring to the people of US.
Yes indeed. I should have been more specific.
attofishpi wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:24 pm "TRUMP - a puzzling enigma"
- only half as puzzling as trying to understand an entire nation of weird people that are obsessed with junk food (thus making generations of dumber offspring), Guns, Big Carbon fuel guzzling muscle cars, WWE FAKE Wrestling, 'World Series Baseball' - none of the rest of the world are involved duh!, American Football - a bunch of wankers wearing helmets and body armour on a field where game play barely lasts half a minute, almost half the population will refuse to have a Covid vaccine according to a recent survey, Plea Deals in the 'justice' system, incarceration for possession of drugs - meaning you are unlikely to ever be employed again, the most incarcerated nation on the planet - 2.3 million people (LAND OF THE FREE!! Hypocrisy), if you are rich you are worshiped and can literally get away with murder, if you are poor you are abandoned to the streets, RACISM beyond anywhere on the planet, war waged to enable more profit for the elites that OWN the two parties under consideration...
...need I say more - THE ENTIRE NATION IS AN ENIGMA.
Yes again, atto.

And like I suggested in an earlier post, America is reaping the necrotizing returns on the bad karma it has sown throughout the world.
_______
seeds

Post by seeds »

Nick_A wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:36 pm
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people
And hypocritical minds offer-up platitudes that are meant to insult others while ignoring the fact that it could just as readily be applied to their own behavior.

I mean, wasn’t it you who “discussed” the Darth Vader-like evilness of “people” like Joe Biden compared to the glorious and noble goodness of people like Donald Trump? - as per the following quote:
Nick_A wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:58 pm "The Establisment Strikes Back" is now appearing in your neighborhood.

Donald Trump, alias Luke Skywalker, represents the defense of the eterrnal values America was founded upon which sustain liberty. Joe Biden, alias Darth Vadar represents the greed of the establishment and its pursuit of temporary values by any means including destruction of the eternal values in the human mind.

A truly epic battle. May the force be with Donld Trump.
It appears that someone needs to be reminded of the old Biblical axiom:
the Bible wrote: “And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?”
_______
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

seeds wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:25 am
Nick_A wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:36 pm
And hypocritical minds offer-up platitudes that are meant to insult others while ignoring the fact that it could just as readily be applied to their own behavior.

I mean, wasn’t it you who “discussed” the Darth Vader-like evilness of “people” like Joe Biden compared to the glorious and noble goodness of people like Donald Trump? - as per the following quote:
Nick_A wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:58 pm "The Establisment Strikes Back" is now appearing in your neighborhood.

Donald Trump, alias Luke Skywalker, represents the defense of the eterrnal values America was founded upon which sustain liberty. Joe Biden, alias Darth Vadar represents the greed of the establishment and its pursuit of temporary values by any means including destruction of the eternal values in the human mind.

It appears that someone needs to be reminded of the old Biblical axiom:
the Bible wrote: “And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?”
_______
There is a difference between what Biden represents in the imaginary movie rather than what he is
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Nick_A wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:29 amThere is a difference between what Biden represents in the imaginary movie rather than what he is
Well, that's a big part of the average US citizen, they have a great deal of trouble discerning the difference between what is real and what is made up - I think generations existing on fried chicken might have something to do with the IQ drop.

So although I real eyes Biden is in the position he is because he is one of the rich elites that OWN US citizens, but surely he is the lesser evil of the two cunts on offer, no?

Please explain Biden's shortcomings in the endeavour of running the nation of the dumbest cunts on the planet..
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Nick wrote:

O liberty, what crimes are committed in thy name

http://www.prisonersofeternity.co.uk/ma ... -thy-name/
henry quirk

Metal Monarch

Post by henry quirk »

No one has ever asked me directly why I oppose Trump!

sez sumthin' about the company you keep

He’s a conservative but not on the far right.

he's a state capitalist, plain and simple: he ain't an ideological animal

He mocked a chair-bound cerebral palsy guy.

why'd he mock the geek?

He disparaged the parents of an honored Army officer killed in action while defending our nation.

I believe them folks threw shit first

HE DISMISSED JOHN MCCAIN’S HEROIC ACTIONS AS A JET FIGHTER PILOT WHO WAS SHOT DOWN, INJURED & CAPTURED AND WHO DECLINED TO BE RELEASED AHEAD OF OTHERS JUST BECAUSE HIS FATHER WAS AN ADMIRAL.

moccain was a shit: his vote coulda repealed the ACA (that hurt me directly) and he chose insteadto vote with the enemy...out of spite

fuck mccain...if there's a hell, I hope he's in it

He dishonored the American flag by touching it.

good lord

He belittled a gesture made to bring attention to racial inequality by claiming it was about anti-patriotism to the Flag.

you're talkin' about all that self-aggrandizing kneelin' over-paid football players do, yeah?

ORANGE MAN was wrong about that, and so are you: it wasn't anti-patriotic and it had nuthin' to with a racial protest...it was, is, all about virtue- signalin'...a meaningless act of children

He declared Mexicans to be rapists and murderers.

nope...he declared a subset of illegal aliens from mexico to be scum: and he's right

He apparently stated that African countries are shitholes.

he did cuz they are

He desecrated the White House by using it for campaign politics.

every other occupant did, and will do, the same thing: so what?

He caged children.

mebbe all them refugees ought to stay hone then

He watched TV, played golf and apparently napped.

oh. my. god.

let's hang him!

He hides his tax returns.

I hide mine: ain't nobodies business what I make, what I pay, or how I cheat

He has numerous NDAs.

dumb whores signed 'em

He calls decent people by insulting slurs that he seems to enjoy creating.

which decent people?

He fires his own staff, denigrates them and turns them into enemies.

if your employee does a crappy job -- worse, your employee actively works against you -- firin' & bad mouthin' seem a natural thing to do.. thing is: if reporters didn't ask, he wouldn't say

He appoints cabinet members who are unqualified for their positions.

pretty subjective

He upbraids the NSA, the NIH, the CDC for doing their assigned jobs.

if he thinks they're for shit he should give 'em lollies?

He has discredited the news organizations.

nah, those news organizations discredited themselves years ago when they (includin' fox) became propagandizers instead of conduits

He said that it’s OK to grab women by their genitals.

I've said worse (in-forum)

His vocabulary is atrocious.

elitist

He stands in my place as my representative to the world.

if you believe that: you're a sucker & a loser

He refrains from sufficiently calling out North Korea and Russia.

long game, guy

He lies. He lies. He lies.

so you've been told

not snark

yeah, it was
commonsense

Re: Metal Monarch

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:56 pm No one has ever asked me directly why I oppose Trump!

sez sumthin' about the company you keep

He’s a conservative but not on the far right.

he's a state capitalist, plain and simple: he ain't an ideological animal

He mocked a chair-bound cerebral palsy guy.

why'd he mock the geek?

He disparaged the parents of an honored Army officer killed in action while defending our nation.

I believe them folks threw shit first

HE DISMISSED JOHN MCCAIN’S HEROIC ACTIONS AS A JET FIGHTER PILOT WHO WAS SHOT DOWN, INJURED & CAPTURED AND WHO DECLINED TO BE RELEASED AHEAD OF OTHERS JUST BECAUSE HIS FATHER WAS AN ADMIRAL.

moccain was a shit: his vote coulda repealed the ACA (that hurt me directly) and he chose insteadto vote with the enemy...out of spite

fuck mccain...if there's a hell, I hope he's in it

He dishonored the American flag by touching it.

good lord

He belittled a gesture made to bring attention to racial inequality by claiming it was about anti-patriotism to the Flag.

you're talkin' about all that self-aggrandizing kneelin' over-paid football players do, yeah?

ORANGE MAN was wrong about that, and so are you: it wasn't anti-patriotic and it had nuthin' to with a racial protest...it was, is, all about virtue- signalin'...a meaningless act of children

He declared Mexicans to be rapists and murderers.

nope...he declared a subset of illegal aliens from mexico to be scum: and he's right

He apparently stated that African countries are shitholes.

he did cuz they are

He desecrated the White House by using it for campaign politics.

every other occupant did, and will do, the same thing: so what?

He caged children.

mebbe all them refugees ought to stay hone then

He watched TV, played golf and apparently napped.

oh. my. god.

let's hang him!

He hides his tax returns.

I hide mine: ain't nobodies business what I make, what I pay, or how I cheat

He has numerous NDAs.

dumb whores signed 'em

He calls decent people by insulting slurs that he seems to enjoy creating.

which decent people?

He fires his own staff, denigrates them and turns them into enemies.

if your employee does a crappy job -- worse, your employee actively works against you -- firin' & bad mouthin' seem a natural thing to do.. thing is: if reporters didn't ask, he wouldn't say

He appoints cabinet members who are unqualified for their positions.

pretty subjective

He upbraids the NSA, the NIH, the CDC for doing their assigned jobs.

if he thinks they're for shit he should give 'em lollies?

He has discredited the news organizations.

nah, those news organizations discredited themselves years ago when they (includin' fox) became propagandizers instead of conduits

He said that it’s OK to grab women by their genitals.

I've said worse (in-forum)

His vocabulary is atrocious.

elitist

He stands in my place as my representative to the world.

if you believe that: you're a sucker & a loser

He refrains from sufficiently calling out North Korea and Russia.

long game, guy

He lies. He lies. He lies.

so you've been told

not snark

yeah, it was
I invite you, and everyone else, to take a close look at your replies and identify any that correctly and completely refute my impression that the Schlump is a lout.
henry quirk

you misunderstand: I'm not dismissin' your impressions...

Post by henry quirk »

...quite the opposite

I acknowledge your impressions and merely counter them with my own

you, vote as you will, for whatever reasons you suss out, informed by whatever impressions you've formed; I'll do the same

stalemate
commonsense

Re: you misunderstand: I'm not dismissin' your impressions...

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:28 pm ...quite the opposite

I acknowledge your impressions and merely counter them with my own

you, vote as you will, for whatever reasons you suss out, informed by whatever impressions you've formed; I'll do the same

stalemate
Correctomundo