Trump - a puzzling enigma

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9157
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

seeds wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:44 pm

...I am reminded of watching some old World War 2 documentaries that showed the American and Allied soldiers marching the (“pure-blooded”) German citizens through the liberated concentration camps and making them see and smell and feel the shame of the ghastly horror of the piles of corpses of the humans who were slowly tortured and murdered on their behalf.

Image

_______
They could have equally forced 'saint' Churchill to walk through there. He was well aware of the death camps but chose to do nothing about them. And let's not forget how the 'saint' allied countries refused refuge to fleeing Jews, trapping them in Nazi occupied countries.
seeds
Posts: 1018
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:31 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by seeds »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:11 pm
seeds wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:44 pm
...I am reminded of watching some old World War 2 documentaries that showed the American and Allied soldiers marching the (“pure-blooded”) German citizens through the liberated concentration camps and making them see and smell and feel the shame of the ghastly horror of the piles of corpses of the humans who were slowly tortured and murdered on their behalf.

Image

_______
They could have equally forced 'saint' Churchill to walk through there. He was well aware of the death camps but chose to do nothing about them. And let's not forget how the 'saint' allied countries refused refuge to fleeing Jews, trapping them in Nazi occupied countries.
Those are all good points (although attempting to defeat Hitler in a horrific war can hardly be considered as doing nothing about the situation).

However, that wasn’t the issue I was attempting to raise in my post.

No, I was simply trying to show how easy it is (even in modern times) for a demented (yet charismatic) human to capture and control the minds of other humans into thinking that he is their savior when, in fact, he is about to lead them into hell.

It is a reflection on my constant harping about how humans are sleepwalking through life on earth, with some of them being in a far deeper state of unconsciousness than others, thus more susceptible to delusional influences in the greater “dream” of reality.
_______
commonsense
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by commonsense »

seeds wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:00 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:11 pm
seeds wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:44 pm
...I am reminded of watching some old World War 2 documentaries that showed the American and Allied soldiers marching the (“pure-blooded”) German citizens through the liberated concentration camps and making them see and smell and feel the shame of the ghastly horror of the piles of corpses of the humans who were slowly tortured and murdered on their behalf.

Image

_______
They could have equally forced 'saint' Churchill to walk through there. He was well aware of the death camps but chose to do nothing about them. And let's not forget how the 'saint' allied countries refused refuge to fleeing Jews, trapping them in Nazi occupied countries.
Those are all good points (although attempting to defeat Hitler in a horrific war can hardly be considered as doing nothing about the situation).

However, that wasn’t the issue I was attempting to raise in my post.

No, I was simply trying to show how easy it is (even in modern times) for a demented (yet charismatic) human to capture and control the minds of other humans into thinking that he is their savior when, in fact, he is about to lead them into hell.

It is a reflection on my constant harping about how humans are sleepwalking through life on earth, with some of them being in a far deeper state of unconsciousness than others, thus more susceptible to delusional influences in the greater “dream” of reality.
_______
Hallelujah and amen to both of you!
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9157
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

seeds wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:00 pm
Those are all good points (although attempting to defeat Hitler in a horrific war can hardly be considered as doing nothing about the situation).

The Nazi's treatment of people never came into the reason for WW11. Wars are about power and money. If they have given a damn about people then they could have just assassinated Hitler or got him out of the way the same way the US and GB have done historically on a regular basis (usually to relatively decent leaders).
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8976
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by henry quirk »

I was simply trying to show how easy it is (even in modern times) for a demented (yet charismatic) human to capture and control the minds of other humans into thinking that he is their savior when, in fact, he is about to lead them into hell

well, the last guy to fit that bill didn't exactly lead us into hell, but he did depress our economy, denigrate 'murica over and over, saddle us with a ludicrous gov program that solved no problems, and even so, his worshipers thought he could do no wrong, goin' so far as to have kids in school sing his praises

sure, ORANGE MAN has his devotees (and shame on them for bein' so) but not all of us are like that...I reckon, in fact, most of us who voted for ORANGE MAN in '16, and who'll vote for him again in nov, see him as, as I say elsewhere, the great flummoxer & hand grenade...we didn't hire him to save us: we hired him to confuse the enemy & wreck shit..for us, ORANGE MAN is not an endpoint but a waystation...he'll serve his purpose and then, mebbe, we'll hire another person to erode gov and flummox folks who think they have a better handle on a man's life than the man himself

that ORANGE MAN actually did a few good things in his first term is gravy to us
seeds
Posts: 1018
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:31 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by seeds »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:55 pm
seeds wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:00 pm
Those are all good points (although attempting to defeat Hitler in a horrific war can hardly be considered as doing nothing about the situation).

The Nazi's treatment of people never came into the reason for WW11. Wars are about power and money. If they have given a damn about people then they could have just assassinated Hitler or got him out of the way the same way the US and GB have done historically on a regular basis (usually to relatively decent leaders).
veg, you should know by now that I don’t need to be convinced of the fact that certain countries have treacherous and imperialistic intentions.

However, regardless of the validity of your assertions (of which I basically agree with), once again, you are missing (or purposely ignoring) the point of my earlier post.
_______
seeds
Posts: 1018
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:31 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by seeds »

seeds wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:00 pm I was simply trying to show how easy it is (even in modern times) for a demented (yet charismatic) human to capture and control the minds of other humans into thinking that he is their savior when, in fact, he is about to lead them into hell.
henry quirk wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:08 pm well, the last guy to fit that bill didn't exactly lead us into hell, but he did depress our economy, denigrate 'murica over and over, saddle us with a ludicrous gov program that solved no problems, and even so, his worshipers thought he could do no wrong, goin' so far as to have kids in school sing his praises

sure, ORANGE MAN has his devotees (and shame on them for bein' so) but not all of us are like that...I reckon, in fact, most of us who voted for ORANGE MAN in '16, and who'll vote for him again in nov, see him as, as I say elsewhere, the great flummoxer & hand grenade...we didn't hire him to save us: we hired him to confuse the enemy & wreck shit..for us, ORANGE MAN is not an endpoint but a waystation...he'll serve his purpose and then, mebbe, we'll hire another person to erode gov and flummox folks who think they have a better handle on a man's life than the man himself...
henry, as much as I am loath to admit this, I tentatively agree with your insistence of the need for a (shake-up) change in the way the American government is doing things, especially with respect to the rest of the world.

However (and unless you have been pulling our legs), you have proven that you couldn’t care less if a complete idiot simply takes over and destroys everything.

The problem is that most people in the U.S. don’t have your mountain man (hillbilly) attitude and are simply not ready to catch, skin, and eat squirrels (or whatever it is you do) to survive, while trying to avoid the taxman and those pesky revenuers comin’ to confiscate your still.

Most people with at least two brain cells to rub together and who can see the need for a change, nevertheless, don’t think it’s such a good idea to let a petulant, lying, spoiled little brat of a child, play with a loaded gun (or with nuclear launch codes) as an experiment to see what happens.

As Lennon once sang:
John Lennon wrote: “...You say you want a revolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world...
...You say you got a real solution
Well, you know
We'd all love to see the plan...”
Clearly, Trump is nothing more than the head ramrod of your demolition crew.

So let’s see your blueprint plan for what comes after the old edifices are torn down and you still have three hundred and thirty million men, women, and children who still need some semblance of an ordered situation in which they can make a living.
_______
commonsense
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by commonsense »

seeds wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:30 am
seeds wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:00 pm I was simply trying to show how easy it is (even in modern times) for a demented (yet charismatic) human to capture and control the minds of other humans into thinking that he is their savior when, in fact, he is about to lead them into hell.
henry quirk wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:08 pm well, the last guy to fit that bill didn't exactly lead us into hell, but he did depress our economy, denigrate 'murica over and over, saddle us with a ludicrous gov program that solved no problems, and even so, his worshipers thought he could do no wrong, goin' so far as to have kids in school sing his praises

sure, ORANGE MAN has his devotees (and shame on them for bein' so) but not all of us are like that...I reckon, in fact, most of us who voted for ORANGE MAN in '16, and who'll vote for him again in nov, see him as, as I say elsewhere, the great flummoxer & hand grenade...we didn't hire him to save us: we hired him to confuse the enemy & wreck shit..for us, ORANGE MAN is not an endpoint but a waystation...he'll serve his purpose and then, mebbe, we'll hire another person to erode gov and flummox folks who think they have a better handle on a man's life than the man himself...
henry, as much as I am loath to admit this, I tentatively agree with your insistence of the need for a (shake-up) change in the way the American government is doing things, especially with respect to the rest of the world.

However (and unless you have been pulling our legs), you have proven that you couldn’t care less if a complete idiot simply takes over and destroys everything.

The problem is that most people in the U.S. don’t have your mountain man (hillbilly) attitude and are simply not ready to catch, skin, and eat squirrels (or whatever it is you do) to survive, while trying to avoid the taxman and those pesky revenuers comin’ to confiscate your still.

Most people with at least two brain cells to rub together and who can see the need for a change, nevertheless, don’t think it’s such a good idea to let a petulant, lying, spoiled little brat of a child, play with a loaded gun (or with nuclear launch codes) as an experiment to see what happens.

As Lennon once sang:
John Lennon wrote: “...You say you want a revolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world...
...You say you got a real solution
Well, you know
We'd all love to see the plan...”
Clearly, Trump is nothing more than the head ramrod of your demolition crew.

So let’s see your blueprint plan for what comes after the old edifices are torn down and you still have three hundred and thirty million men, women, and children who still need some semblance of an ordered situation in which they can make a living.
_______
Awesome post, Seeds, just fucking awesome.
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4266
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by attofishpi »

...posting from the TV...just to say i agree. :D
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8976
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by henry quirk »

you have proven that you couldn’t care less if a complete idiot simply takes over and destroys everything.

a wrong-headed opinion


The problem is that most people in the U.S. don’t have your mountain man (hillbilly) attitude and are simply not ready to catch, skin, and eat squirrels (or whatever it is you do) to survive, while trying to avoid the taxman and those pesky revenuers comin’ to confiscate your still.

your own self-perceived lack & weakness is showing


Most people with at least two brain cells to rub together and who can see the need for a change, nevertheless, don’t think it’s such a good idea to let a petulant, lying, spoiled little brat of a child, play with a loaded gun (or with nuclear launch codes) as an experiment to see what happens.

hyperbole, opinion, nonsense


Clearly, Trump is nothing more than the head ramrod of your demolition crew.

only thing you've gotten right so far


So let’s see your blueprint plan

I've posted quite a bit about the chartered natural rights libertarian minarchy I favor...it ain't a blueprint: it's a roadmap to recognizin' & preservin' life, liberty, and property...go take a gander, if you like


for what comes after the old edifices are torn down and you still have three hundred and thirty million men, women, and children who still need some semblance of an ordered situation in which they can make a living.

all I see here is who's gonna take care of me?: get thee to a charity (associated catholic charities does a fine job providin' for the damaged, the weak, the incapable
Last edited by henry quirk on Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8976
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by henry quirk »

Awesome post, Seeds, just fucking awesome.

your mediocre impressions were better
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8976
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by henry quirk »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:34 pm ...posting from the TV...just to say i agree. :D
well, of course you do
seeds
Posts: 1018
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:31 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by seeds »

commonsense wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:38 am Awesome post, Seeds...
Thank you, commonsense (and atto).

Now I am not naming any names here, but, again, I believe that the problem we are dealing with in this thread (and with the world of us humans in general) is related to my earlier suggestion:
seeds wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:00 pm It is a reflection on my constant harping about how humans are sleepwalking through life on earth, with some of them being in a far deeper state of unconsciousness than others...
Thanks again for your kind compliment, it is much appreciated.
_______
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 8976
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by henry quirk »

seeds wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:00 pm
commonsense wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:38 am Awesome post, Seeds...
Thank you, commonsense (and atto).

Now I am not naming any names here, but, again, I believe that the problem we are dealing with in this thread (and with the world of us humans in general) is related to my earlier suggestion:
seeds wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:00 pm It is a reflection on my constant harping about how humans are sleepwalking through life on earth, with some of them being in a far deeper state of unconsciousness than others...
Thanks again for your kind compliment, it is much appreciated.
_______
somebody wake me up when any of three amigos actually makes a point above the level of toddler
commonsense
Posts: 2612
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Trump - a puzzling enigma

Post by commonsense »

30,000-plus lies as of today.
Post Reply