How to deal with a friend who thinks COVID 19 is a hoax

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

How to deal with a friend who thinks COVID 19 is a hoax

Post by Gary Childress »

Saw this and immediately thought of a couple of people here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/22/maga ... -hoax.html
Dontaskme

Re: How to deal with a friend who thinks COVID 19 is a hoax

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:58 am Saw this and immediately thought of a couple of people here.
There are people here who think beer virus is a hoax? :roll: :? :o

Who?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:58 am Saw this and immediately thought of a couple of people here.

What do you care? If you choose to swallow the popular view that we're all going to die unless we all wear a half-bra on our face and never hug anyone we love, those who choose not to be told what to wear, what to do, and where to go (it used to be called freedom) don't care if you want to dress up like a zombie and freak out because someone else might touch you (which used to be called paranoia).

It's a disease. Lot's of people will get it. Most will not even be sick and some will die (bad luck). Be afraid of it as much as you like and do whatever you believe you must do to protect yourself. I hope you don't get it (and you probably won't). Just don't presume to force those who do not suffer from your personal phobias to sacrifice their lives to your fears.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:24 pm It's a disease. Lot's of people will get it. Most will not even be sick and some will die (bad luck). Be afraid of it as much as you like and do whatever you believe you must do to protect yourself. I hope you don't get it (and you probably won't). Just don't presume to force those who do not suffer from your personal phobias to sacrifice their lives to your fears.
What do you suggest be done about the overflowing hospitals and medical supply shortages because too many people are needing treatment all at once?

What are we supposed to do when our infrastructure cannot support the populations that rely on it?

Is our personal inconvenience, discomfort, or freedom more important than the larger reality we are part of? Does the larger reality just not matter or exist?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

if liberal democrats are afraid that the hospitals will be overflowing, they should do the honorable thing and make certain that they and theirs will never occupy the precious communal hospital space...

can't be in the morgue and the hospital at the same time

-Imp
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

overflowing hospitals and medical supply shortages

There are conflictin' reports as to exactly how overflowin' & short hospitals and med supplies actually are.

Even if true, these are local problems, not national ones.

In my state: Orleans Parish suffers while Acadia Parish (my parish) does not.

No damn reason at all for Acadia folks to live under the same *restrictions as New Orleans folks.

*not that anyone ought to be restricted...give folks the clearest, most accurate information possible, leave off with all the doom & gloom, and let each make up his mind how he'll deal with beer virus...some will mask, some won't; some will stay home, some won't; some businesses will place restrictions on customers and employees, some won't; and on and on...tell a person the truth then leave 'em be to wrestle with it
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

It makes me laugh. People who think the Apollo moon landings were fake. A project of that magnitide, involving so many people.
How absurd. It is far easier just to go the damn moon, than try to make a hoax like that actually work. People lack the basic skills of imagination and reason.

Same with COVID. Trying to get two politicians to agree on anything is a small miracle; getting the entire political classes worldwide on any single issue would be the end of all miracles.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:24 pm

What do you care? If you choose to swallow the popular view that we're all going to die unless we all wear a half-bra on our face and never hug anyone we love,
Childish exaggeration does not become you. No one is saying that; no one beleives it.

There are some of us who are likely to die were they to become infected - me for one.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:27 pm overflowing hospitals and medical supply shortages

There are conflictin' reports as to exactly how overflowin' & short hospitals and med supplies actually are.

The conflict is mostly in your head.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

*The conflict is mostly in your head.
https://www.npr.org/2020/05/07/85171231 ... 9-patients

keep in mind: npr is all gung-ho about beer virus bein' the coronapocalypse

if those commie asses are tellin' you, admittin', hospitals weren't over run, well, mebbe you ought to rethink your *jackassery

want more?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Look at the bright side. At least the virus is culling many of those morons. Being dead is the ultimate freedom.

henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

There are some of us who are likely to die were they to become infected - me for one.

I'm 57...I supposedly fall into that category

but an antibody test said I was exposed/infected...no symptoms, or symptoms so mild I chalked 'em up to sumthin' else

my point: likelihood ain't certainty
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:36 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:24 pm It's a disease. Lot's of people will get it. Most will not even be sick and some will die (bad luck). Be afraid of it as much as you like and do whatever you believe you must do to protect yourself. I hope you don't get it (and you probably won't). Just don't presume to force those who do not suffer from your personal phobias to sacrifice their lives to your fears.
What do you suggest be done about the overflowing hospitals and medical supply shortages because too many people are needing treatment all at once?
There is not a single "overflowing," hospital in my state. If there is in yours, and you want to do something about it, no one is stopping you.
Lacewing wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:36 pm What are we supposed to do when our infrastructure cannot support the populations that rely on it?
Life is tough. Don't depend on the infrastructure, or, if you do, be sure you take measures to preserve it. If you choose to be part of some collective, "we," then its up to you and your gang to take care of yourselves, isn't it? I wish you well and hope you and your gang can work out your problems. I'm not part of anybody's gang.
Lacewing wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:36 pm Is our personal inconvenience, discomfort, or freedom more important than the larger reality we are part of? Does the larger reality just not matter or exist?
The, "larger matter," just happens to be the preferred convenience, comfort, and freedom, of your gang. Why should my preferences have to be sacrificed to yours? The difference is, I'm not asking anything of them and have no desire to impose any restrictions or necessities on you or them, but you do want to impose yours on those that don't belong to your gang and happen to have different preferred convenience, comfort, and requirements for living (things they must be free to do) from yours.

Not by force yet, but be sure its coming (and already is in many places).
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:27 pm *give folks the clearest, most accurate information possible...tell a person the truth then leave 'em be to wrestle with it
And you expect this from who??? :lol: :lol:
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:42 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:24 pm

What do you care? If you choose to swallow the popular view that we're all going to die unless we all wear a half-bra on our face and never hug anyone we love,
Childish exaggeration does not become you. No one is saying that; no one beleives it.

Don't become infected!