How to deal with a friend who thinks COVID 19 is a hoax

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: How to deal with a friend who thinks COVID 19 is a hoax

Post by Belinda »

Henry, everybody spits wee droplets from their mouths and noses when they speak, and even more when they cough, laugh or sing. Masks are to catch the droplets before they get out into the air. Of course you have to keep your face covering clean like you keep your handkerchief clean
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:09 pm Henry, everybody spits wee droplets from their mouths and noses when they speak, and even more when they cough, laugh or sing. Masks are to catch the droplets before they get out into the air. Of course you have to keep your face covering clean like you keep your handkerchief clean
viri don't respect most of the masks worn by folks (by choice or through mandate)

viri laugh as they traipse through, what is for them, giant open doors

while you grouse about the mask foggin' your glasses, viri are out & about, lookin' for the next ride

but: if maskin' up makes you feel better, if maskin' up allows you to more easily identify fellow travelers, then -- please -- mask up
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:52 pm
Belinda wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:09 pm Henry, everybody spits wee droplets from their mouths and noses when they speak, and even more when they cough, laugh or sing. Masks are to catch the droplets before they get out into the air. Of course you have to keep your face covering clean like you keep your handkerchief clean
viri don't respect most of the masks worn by folks (by choice or through mandate)

viri laugh as they traipse through, what is for them, giant open doors

while you grouse about the mask foggin' your glasses, viri are out & about, lookin' for the next ride

but: if maskin' up makes you feel better, if maskin' up allows you to more easily identify fellow travelers, then -- please -- mask up
Yes, that is correct for aerosol borne virus, but not for droplet borne virus. Virus sticks to surfaces. Masks do filter out droplets that are possibly carrying virus (bacteria too of course).The more people wear masks the better for the public health.
Masks are less effective for protecting the wearer, except for speciality masks as worn for nursing infectious patients. Masking up is a social duty like washing your hands after defaecating.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Masking up is a social duty like washing your hands after defaecating.

absolutely the wrong thing to tell a guy like me: you have to
henry quirk

yes, the science is overwhelming on masks...

Post by henry quirk »

...so why make shit up?

https://sentinelksmo.org/kdhe-doctored- ... EqNXMCsMhw

if you gotta lie to make your case, your case ain't worth jackshit

masks are for goobers
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:56 pm Masking up is a social duty like washing your hands after defaecating.

"a guy like me" is Henry a man who imitates some other guys?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:57 am
henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:56 pm Masking up is a social duty like washing your hands after defaecating.

petty, B

small

I thought you were better
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:53 pm
Belinda wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:57 am "a guy like me" is Henry a man who imitates some other guys?
petty, B

small

Projection. Henry claims to own himself, yet he doesn't own his pettiness and childishness which is on full display right now in this forum. :lol:

Thought he was better.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

petty, B

small

I would like you to be authentic. It's not possible or desirable to be unprejudiced but you can aim not to be taken in by clever manipulators.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:54 pm
petty, B

small

I would like you to be authentic. It's not possible or desirable to be unprejudiced but you can aim not to be taken in by clever manipulators.
like you've been with this maskin' is a social duty nonsense?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:08 pm

petty, B

small

I worked in a hospital for acute infectious fevers and have of experience of disease control in hospital and in the community. I understand the science.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Belinda wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:14 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:08 pm
I worked in a hospital for acute infectious fevers and have of experience of disease control in hospital and in the community. I understand the science.
Ditto. I taught infection prevention and control as one of the classes I lead when I was a Clinical Staff Educator.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

-----

Ditto. I taught infection prevention and control as one of the classes I lead when I was a Clinical Staff Educator.

then both of you should understand that everything that's been done so far (lockdowns, maskin', school shutdowns, etc.) is prolongin' beer virus; that all these measures have done nuthin' but the opposite of what was intended (what was said to be intended)
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:59 pm I worked in a hospital for acute infectious fevers and have of experience of disease control in hospital and in the community. I understand the science.

-----

then both of you should understand that everything that's been done so far (lockdowns, maskin', school shutdowns, etc.) is prolongin' beer virus; that all these measures have done nuthin' but the opposite of what was intended (what was said to be intended)
What was said to be intended was to flatten the curve: the same volume of cases spread out over time is intended to make sure that resources (e.g. nurses to take care of patients, supplies for the treatment of patients) are adequate throughout the entire pandemic. An example of the resources being too scarce for the demands of the pandemic would be the morgues’ needing to be supplemented by refrigerated trucks.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:13 am
henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:59 pm I worked in a hospital for acute infectious fevers and have of experience of disease control in hospital and in the community. I understand the science.

-----

What was said to be intended was to flatten the curve: the same volume of cases spread out over time is intended to make sure that resources (e.g. nurses to take care of patients, supplies for the treatment of patients) are adequate throughout the entire pandemic. An example of the resources being too scarce for the demands of the pandemic would be the morgues’ needing to be supplemented by refrigerated trucks.
was a bold, in our faces, lie