How to deal with a friend who thinks COVID 19 is a hoax

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: How to deal with a friend who thinks COVID 19 is a hoax

Post by Belinda »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:04 am
Belinda wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:33 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:21 am

That is generally the case by the time they are in aged care facilities. Duh! And you are 88. Probably hoping to cling to life till the last second. I don't 'think' anything. I'm only interested in facts. It's being old and sick that is killing these people--not the virus.
You ought to think! What use is your life if you don't think?
Here is a fact : while some people may be said to have died of old age there are also acute conditions such as fracture of the femur that intervene in the 'old age' process and hasten the death of the patient.
Perhaps you would advocate non-heroic interventions after a certain age. That is already being done. Many people have made advance directives also called living wills so that there will no heroic clinical interventions when they become terminally ill.
You were clearly asking for my opinion, not literally whether or not I 'think'.
And I wonder how long it will be before young people cotton on to the fact that they are in fact being sacrificed for the old and infirm. It's creepily cannibalistic actually. Reminds me of a science fiction story, where the well-to-do elderly are kept alive on body parts from the young.
Sorry,yes I was too literal.

This depends on what facts you select. I can well see your point of view. It reminds me of the point of view that too much public money is spent on idiots while gifted children are neglected. It is not easy to find a balance.

Please consider the fact that many young sons and daughters are subsidised with funds or residential necessities by Mum and Dad. Old people are often richer than their offspring, and I believe it's a fact the older people , say in their sixties, take care of their sons and daughters who cannot get jobs. I am a still older generation and I am concerned that my grandchildren will take care of their fathers if and when.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:06 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:11 am
Sculptor wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:22 am
Not relevant
That's true anywhere.
You really need some basic lessons in thinking.
How is it not relevant? Stop being such a selfish old fart.
F*ck off you rancid old C(nt
he he
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Belinda wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:30 am
Here is a fact : while some people may be said to have died of old age there are also acute conditions such as fracture of the femur that intervene in the 'old age' process and hasten the death of the patient.
Perhaps you would advocate non-heroic interventions after a certain age. That is already being done. Many people have made advance directives also called living wills so that there will no heroic clinical interventions when they become terminally ill.
And I wonder how long it will be before young people cotton on to the fact that they are in fact being sacrificed for the old and infirm. It's creepily cannibalistic actually. Reminds me of a science fiction story, where the well-to-do elderly are kept alive on body parts from the young.
Sorry,yes I was too literal.

This depends on what facts you select. I can well see your point of view. It reminds me of the point of view that too much public money is spent on idiots while gifted children are neglected. It is not easy to find a balance.

Please consider the fact that many young sons and daughters are subsidised with funds or residential necessities by Mum and Dad. Old people are often richer than their offspring, and I believe it's a fact the older people , say in their sixties, take care of their sons and daughters who cannot get jobs. I am a still older generation and I am concerned that my grandchildren will take care of their fathers if and when.
Many older people have caught the virus and not died. It's just that so few people in their 80s and 90s don't have other serious health problems. There was a woman in her nineties who survived and bounced back. I don't consider 60s to be old. Where I'm from the only people who have died have been aged care residents--all with pre-existing health conditions.
I'm not saying I'm against lockdowns. They might be completely the right thing to do, or they could be the worst possible thing to do. No one knows.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:21 am

That is generally the case by the time they are in aged care facilities. Duh! And you are 88. Probably hoping to cling to life till the last second. I don't 'think' anything. I'm only interested in facts. It's being old and sick that is killing these people--not the virus.
The young are not being sacrificed. The same advice re COVID is given to everyone, including the young.
henry quirk

Re: Re:

Post by henry quirk »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:23 am
henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:55 am No matter what you offer as evidence that COVID is a serious threat, an illogical negation is offered in response.

and: no matter what you offer as evidence that beer virus is not the Coronaopcalypse, the only response is derision
Dumb fucks get derision thrown at them.
let me see...do I have room for one more?

I sure do: into my penalty box with you
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:22 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:23 am Dumb fucks get derision thrown at them.

Wheeee!! Let's have a party! As if any of us gives a fuck whether Henry reads our posts or not. I actually enjoy being able to point out what a cranky old man he is, without having to hear his cranky old man response! :D
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:50 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:23 am Dumb fucks get derision thrown at them.

Wheeee!! Let's have a party! As if any of us gives a fuck whether Henry reads our posts or not. I actually enjoy being able to point out what a cranky old man he is, without having to hear his cranky old man response! :D
I think HQ is simply fiercely individualistic. As such, his beliefs may have nothing to do with senility.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I think HQ is simply fiercely individualistic. As such, his beliefs may have nothing to do with senility.

simply: I don't like bein' leashed
henry quirk

nah, I ain't lettin' you off the hook on this one, Gary

Post by henry quirk »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:47 pm
commonsense wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:13 pm
@Lacewing and Common Sense:

I think some people, when they reach a certain age become set in their ways and there's just no changing them. You can't reason with them. It's a battle of wills. They take any disagreement as a contest, whether the other person has a valid point is irrelevant to them. It's all about their pride and nothing else.
couldn't possibly be about principle, could it, Gary

couldn't possibly be about morality, could it, Gary

just curmudgeonly pride, yeah?

word of advice: pal: fence sittin', constantly lookin' for common ground, is just good for gettin' splinters in your nut sack, and for ensurin' you never have a patch to call yours

and: if you post it, let it stand...backbone, Gary
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Yeah. It seems like a battle of wills sometimes between the elderly and the young. And sometimes it just doesn't matter what the truth is, it's just a matter of winning the battle, I guess.
Gary Childress

Re: nah, I ain't lettin' you off the hook on this one, Gary

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:03 pm

I think some people, when they reach a certain age become set in their ways and there's just no changing them. You can't reason with them. It's a battle of wills. They take any disagreement as a contest, whether the other person has a valid point is irrelevant to them. It's all about their pride and nothing else.

word of advice: pal: fence sittin', constantly lookin' for common ground, is just good for gettin' splinters in your nut sack, and for ensurin' you never have a patch to call yours

I deleted the post, Henry, because I decided it wasn't very fair to you.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:11 pm
Yeah. It seems like a battle of wills sometimes between the elderly and the young. And sometimes it just doesn't matter what the truth is, it's just a matter of winning the battle, I guess.
again, Gary?

all about the win, yeah?

:thumbsdown:
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:13 pm

it wasn't...neither was the follow up
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:14 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:11 pm

again, Gary?

all about the win, yeah?

:thumbsdown:
Sometimes it sure seems that way.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:15 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:13 pm

it wasn't...neither was the follow up
What was wrong with the follow up?

EDIT: The statement can apply both ways.