How to deal with a friend who thinks COVID 19 is a hoax

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: Re:

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:14 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:11 pm
commonsense wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:13 pm

I think HQ is simply fiercely individualistic. As such, his beliefs may have nothing to do with senility.
Yeah. It seems like a battle of wills sometimes between the elderly and the young. And sometimes it just doesn't matter what the truth is, it's just a matter of winning the battle, I guess.
again, Gary?

couldn't possibly be about principle, could it, Gary

couldn't possibly be about morality, could it, Gary

all about the win, yeah?

:thumbsdown:
What principle are you fighting for, Henry? You say you don't want to wear a "leash". No one is making you wear a "leash". All you have to do is wear a mask. It's not a leash.
henry quirk

Re: nah, I ain't lettin' you off the hook on this one, Gary

Post by henry quirk »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:16 pm
henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:15 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:13 pm

I deleted the post, Henry, because I decided it wasn't very fair to you.
it wasn't...neither was the follow up
What was wrong with the follow up?

EDIT: The statement can apply both ways.
it was just a reformulation of the first

it's the difference between cocksucker and motherfucker: as far as insults go, there is no difference
henry quirk

Re: How to deal with a friend who thinks COVID 19 is a hoax

Post by henry quirk »

What principle are you fighting for, Henry?

that I belong to me; that I self-direct and am self-responsible

All you have to do is wear a mask. It's not a leash.

yeah, it is
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:43 pm What principle are you fighting for, Henry?

that I belong to me; that I self-direct and am self-responsible
You can "self-direct" yourself to cooperate with people trying to take precautions during a pandemic. I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world.

All you have to do is wear a mask. It's not a leash.

yeah, it is
That makes no sense. A mask is not going to hinder you in most cases and in cases where it does, you're allowed to take it off.

Like I said, a battle of wills. And the battle is entirely unnecessary.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:23 am
henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:55 am No matter what you offer as evidence that COVID is a serious threat, an illogical negation is offered in response.

and: no matter what you offer as evidence that beer virus is not the Coronaopcalypse, the only response is derision
Dumb fucks get derision thrown at them.
That's really not necessary. Henry is an intelligent person. Just stubborn.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

commonsense wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:13 pm
Lacewing wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:50 pm
henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:22 pm
let me see...do I have room for one more?

I sure do: into my penalty box with you
Wheeee!! Let's have a party! As if any of us gives a fuck whether Henry reads our posts or not. I actually enjoy being able to point out what a cranky old man he is, without having to hear his cranky old man response! :D
I think HQ is simply fiercely individualistic. As such, his beliefs may have nothing to do with senility.
To clarify, I’m saying that individualism doesn’t correlate with age.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

You can "self-direct" yourself to cooperate with people trying to take precautions during a pandemic. I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world.

first: beer virus ain't the Coronapocalypse

second: I'm all for cooperation; won't abide compulsion

That makes no sense. A mask is not going to hinder you in most cases and in cases where it does, you're allowed to take it off.

if the mask does nuthin' but generate feel good and is compulsory, then, yeah, it's a goddamn leash

wear it if you like, gary: I will not

the battle is entirely unnecessary.

sez you
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:15 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:23 am
henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:55 am No matter what you offer as evidence that COVID is a serious threat, an illogical negation is offered in response.

and: no matter what you offer as evidence that beer virus is not the Coronaopcalypse, the only response is derision
Dumb fucks get derision thrown at them.
That's really not necessary. Henry is an intelligent person. Just stubborn.
don't worry 'bout old sculptor

he's in my penalty box along with the other two stooges
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:42 pm
first: beer virus ain't the Coronapocalypse
Maybe not. Or maybe things could get worse. No one knows for sure at this point. They're just trying to help.
the battle is entirely unnecessary.
sez you
Unless you have a health issue or a regular occupation or something that precludes wearing a mask, then there's no reason not to, other than to be a contrarian. Or if you think it takes away from your rugged good looks or whatever, paint pirate crosses on it and make it look "badass" and the naughty girls will all like you.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Unless you have a health issue or a regular occupation or something that precludes wearing a mask, then there's no reason not to

hey, you wanna be the good boy and do as your told, fine by me
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:38 am Unless you have a health issue or a regular occupation or something that precludes wearing a mask, then there's no reason not to

hey, you wanna be the good boy and do as your told, fine by me
If someone says, "don't put your hand on that hot stove", I'm not going to do it just to be spiteful. There's a difference between someone who just wants anarchy for anarchy's sake and someone who is opposed to unjustifiable rules.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

commonsense wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:13 pm I think HQ is simply fiercely individualistic. As such, his beliefs may have nothing to do with senility.
I don't think he's senile -- I think he's archaically self-focused to the point of ignorance. Many of us here are extraordinarily individualistic or independent. But not caring about other people is a very toxic mentality. He continually repeats how it's all about him and nobody else, and he spreads a lot of skewed destructive information, much of it lacking truth. I don't see how that's a sign of intelligence, principle, morality, or anything else he claims to be focused on. This would explain why he supports a narcissistic dishonest man who boasts ignorantly and spreads misinformation for his own selfish purposes. HQ can apparently relate to that and justify it.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

If someone says, "don't put your hand on that hot stove", I'm not going to do it just to be spiteful.

I won't do it cuz I learned as a kid it's stupid and painful to touch a hot stove with my naked hand.

I don't care if I'm forbidden to or ordered to.

I won't cuz it's friggin' dumb.

There's a difference between someone who just wants anarchy for anarchy's sake and someone who is opposed to unjustifiable rules.

I'm in the latter camp. A stupid rule (don't do, or, do) is a stupid rule.

Mandatory maskin' is a stupid, unjustifiable, rule.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:31 am If someone says, "don't put your hand on that hot stove", I'm not going to do it just to be spiteful.

I won't do it cuz I learned as a kid it's stupid and painful to touch a hot stove with my naked hand.

I don't care if I'm forbidden to or ordered to.

I won't cuz it's friggin' dumb.
Then why do something dumb like walk around not wearing a mask and making a big deal out of it for others to take notice and follow suit, especially the younger generation?

There's a difference between someone who just wants anarchy for anarchy's sake and someone who is opposed to unjustifiable rules.

I'm in the latter camp. A stupid rule (don't do, or, do) is a stupid rule.

Mandatory maskin' is a stupid, unjustifiable, rule.
What's "stupid" about mandatory masking? It's not a perfect solution but it may help a little. And it doesn't hurt you in any way.
henry quirk

gary

Post by henry quirk »

the conventional reasonin' is: my mask protects you, your mask protects me, yeah?
here's a bullshit objection I hear often: if masks don't help why do surgeons wear 'em?

surgeons wear 'em to keep saliva out of opened cavities, not to prevent transmission of viri (though, it is believed, surgical masks may reduce the transmission of of some bacteria)

if a surgeon has beer virus, the flu, or just an average cold, they don't operate (cuz a friggin' surgical mask will not, can not, protect the patient)

maskin' against viral transmission is dumb, unjustified, and is solely an exercise in feel-goodism, or virtue signalin' or control

maskin' is malarky

-----

g'night, forum