2020: not safe for anyone

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: sunday morning high-larity from Lionel Shriver...

Post by Lacewing »

commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:44 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:37 pm *as I say: if an accurate accounting were had, subtracting out error and lie, we'd find this figure to be closer to 75,000, perhaps even lower

incompetence & agenda has us boondoggled
You’ve just said that life went on in previous global pandemics and their were far more deaths and cases in those pandemics.

How many Coronavirus deaths will satisfy your appetite?
The deaths don't represent anybody he cares about, so it's apparently easy to stay focused on numbers in whatever way suits him, rather than thinking about the vibrant human lives (all ages) and all of the people impacted by those losses.

Henry's own incompetence and agenda has him boondoggled. And even worse: he spreads/promotes toxic information.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.

what's that?

I see your lips movin' but I can't hear you...
Lacewing

Re: Numbers

Post by Lacewing »

commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:44 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:37 pm *as I say: if an accurate accounting were had, subtracting out error and lie, we'd find this figure to be closer to 75,000, perhaps even lower

You’ve just said that life went on in previous global pandemics and their were far more deaths and cases in those pandemics.

How many Coronavirus deaths will satisfy your appetite?
The deaths don't represent anybody he cares about, so it's apparently easy to stay focused on numbers in whatever way suits him, rather than thinking about the human lives (all ages) lost and all of the people impacted by that.

Henry's own incompetence and agenda has him boondoggled. And even worse: he spreads/promotes toxic information.
Skepdick

Re: sunday morning high-larity from Lionel Shriver...

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:37 pm There’s nothing unprecedented about COVID-19 itself. The equally novel, equally infectious Asian flu of 1957 had commensurate fatalities in Britain: scaled up for today’s population, the equivalent of 42,000, while the UK’s (statistically flawed) COVID death total now stands at 46,000. Globally, the Asian flu was vastly more lethal, causing between two and four million deaths. The Hong Kong flu of 1968-69 also slew up to four million people worldwide, including 80,000 Britons. Yet in both instances, life went on.

What is unprecedented: never has a virus been so oversold.

In a recent Kekst CNC poll, British respondents estimated that nearly 7 percent of the UK population has died from the coronavirus. That would be 4.5 million people. Scots supposed that more than 10 percent of the UK population has died. That would be seven million people. Astonishingly, Americans believed that COVID has killed nine percent of their compatriots, or almost 30 million people! The real US total has indeed crossed the milestone of *150,000, but for pity’s sake, ‘only’ 20 million people died in World War One.

*as I say: if an accurate accounting were had, subtracting out error and lie, we'd find this figure to be closer to 75,000, perhaps even lower

Nitpicker extraordinaire.

Mortality in New York spiked 500% above the 10-year baseline. This number was calculated prior to putting it in a column on a spreadsheet labelled "cause of death".

https://weinbergerlab.github.io/excess_pi_covid/
Last edited by Skepdick on Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

Resignation or hang: elegant solution

Post by henry quirk »

Lebanese protesters stormed several ministries and government offices Saturday in apparently planned raids after an explosion blamed on government negligence at Beirut port devastated the city and ignited unprecedented popular rage.

The day started with funerals for some of the 158 people killed by Tuesday’s monster blast but turned to rage when the largest anti-government protest in months escalated.

With security forces focused on a large gathering at the Martyrs’ Square protest hub, a group led by retired army officers snuck into the foreign ministry and declared the building a “headquarters of the revolution”.

Activists who called for the protest set up symbolic nooses at Beirut’s Martyrs’ Square to hang politicians whose corruption and negligence they blame for Tuesday’s blast.

Resignation or hang,” read a banner held by protesters, who also planned to hold a symbolic funeral for the dead.

Khodr Ghadir, 23, said the noose was for everyone who has been in power for the last 30 years. “What happened was a spark for people to return to the streets.”

Activists who called for the protest set up symbolic nooses at Beirut’s Martyrs’ Square to hang politicians whose corruption and negligence they blame for Tuesday’s blast.

“Resignation or hang,” read a banner held by protesters, who also planned to hold a symbolic funeral for the dead.

Khodr Ghadir, 23, said the noose was for everyone who has been in power for the last 30 years. “What happened was a spark for people to return to the streets.”

485F47C2-06CF-4EF4-BA3A-C6E8EEFF40FE.jpeg
485F47C2-06CF-4EF4-BA3A-C6E8EEFF40FE.jpeg (100.52 KiB) Viewed 208 times
henry quirk

excess deaths

Post by henry quirk »

56442EC4-ABFE-4A33-BC48-FE4985400452.jpeg
56442EC4-ABFE-4A33-BC48-FE4985400452.jpeg (114.2 KiB) Viewed 203 times
commonsense

Re: boondoggle

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:07 pm How many Coronavirus deaths will satisfy your appetite?

how many of those deaths were from beer virus?

how many of those deaths were with beer virus?

how many of those deaths had nuthin' to do with beer virus?
How many of those deaths from the virus known to the world as Coronavirus will be acceptable to your conscience?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:07 pm how many of those deaths were from beer virus?

What percentage excessive mortality would render your questions moot?

If it's not the beer virus, then why were did all the corpses in New York, Illinois, Michigan and Massachussets come from?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:53 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:07 pm How many Coronavirus deaths will satisfy your appetite?

How many of those deaths from the virus known to the world as Coronavirus will be acceptable to your conscience?
how long will you step & fetch for the folks pullin' the wool over your eyes?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:19 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:07 pm how many of those deaths were from beer virus?

What percentage excessive mortality would render your questions moot?

If it's not the beer virus, then why were did all the corpses in New York, Illinois, Michigan and Massachussets come from?
might wanna take a look at the death numbers in other categories

you might find them a bit lower than expected

a death that pre-beer virus was listed as a coronary, in the age of beer virus might be listed as a beer virus death

I've cited several examples of this in my not safe for anyone and perspectives threads

multiple such re-classification several thousand times

as I ask...

Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:35 pm might wanna take a look at the death numbers in other categories

a death that pre-beer virus was listed as a coronary, in the age of beer virus might be listed as a beer virus death

I've cited several examples of this in my not safe for anyone and perspectives threads

as I ask...

You are confused, Henry.

This has nothing to do with your arbitrary categories. The numbers represent the TOTAL number of corpses for the month. IRRESPECTIVE OF CAUSE OF DEATH..

Classification into columns-on-spreadsheets happens later (if at all) - you don't need to know the cause of somebody's death to know that they are fucking dead. Put all the corpses in the nuthin' to do with beer virus column on for all I care - there will still be a 500% corpse surplus relative to same time last year.
Last edited by Skepdick on Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:28 pm

Answer my question.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:46 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:28 pm

Answer my question.
make me
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:36 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:35 pm might wanna take a look at the death numbers in other categories

as I ask...

You are confused, Henry.

This has nothing to do with your arbitrary categories. The numbers represent the TOTAL number of corpses for the month. IRRESPECTIVE OF CAUSE OF DEATH..

Classification into columns-on-spreadsheets happens later (if at all) - you don't need to know the cause of somebody's death to know that they are fucking dead. Put all the corpses in the nuthin' to do with beer virus column on for all I care - there will still be a 500% corpse surplus relative to same time last year.
would you pull out the 500% corpse surplus from the piece for me? or just tell me where it is

I reviewed the piece but my eyes glaze over with all graphs.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:21 pm would you pull out the 500% corpse surplus from the piece for me? or just tell me where it is

I reviewed the piece but my eyes glaze over with all graphs.
The amplitude of the graphs is precisely what I am pointing at.

The baseline/norm over last 10 years is at ±1500 corpses.
It peaked at 8000.

±8000 / ±1500 * 100 ≈ 500% (screw rounding errors).

The area under the curve is all the corpses that we weren't expecting.
Estimating the early death toll of COVID-19 in the United States 2020-08-09 20-35-46.png
Estimating the early death toll of COVID-19 in the United States 2020-08-09 20-35-46.png (43.27 KiB) Viewed 137 times