2020: not safe for anyone

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

atto

Post by henry quirk »

so now they are shutting stuff down again!!

an unjustified reaction to rising infections while ignorin' flat or fallin' deaths

just more hoodwnkin'
attofishpi

Re: Quirky!

Post by attofishpi »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:01 am so now they are shutting stuff down again!!

an unjustified reaction to rising infections while ignorin' flat or fallin' deaths

just more hoodwnkin'
Ok then, let's see how the rising infections = flat or fallin death rates - more time required dude, but sounds like bollocks to me.
henry quirk

atto!

Post by henry quirk »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:21 am
henry quirk wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:01 am so now they are shutting stuff down again!!

just more hoodwnkin'
Ok then, let's see how the rising infections = flat or fallin death rates - more time required dude, but sounds like bollocks to me.
In this thread: there are graphs illustratin' what is risin', what is fallin', and the timeframe.

Yeah, I don't care.
Gary Childress

Re: veg, gary, sculptor

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:58 pm Gary,

I see your...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... dance.html

...and raise you...

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/
I don't know, Henry. Take a look at this Swiss Policy Research site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Propaganda_Research

It appears to be a propaganda site of conspiracy theories according to Wiki. I don't think I would trust them over the CDC or WHO. At first, I thought it was some scientific journal for Swiss Scientists or something. Apparently no one knows who runs it. Seems pretty suspect.

Until you bring in a credible source, I'd say you didn't "raise" my website. You came up short. You need to put more in the pot.
henry quirk

Gary

Post by henry quirk »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:41 am
henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:58 pm Gary,

I see your...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... dance.html

...and raise you...

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/
I don't know, Henry. Take a look at this Swiss Policy Research site.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Propaganda_Research

It appears to be a propaganda site of conspiracy theories according to Wiki. I don't think I would trust them over the CDC or WHO. At first, I thought it was some scientific journal for Swiss Scientists or something. Apparently no one knows who runs it. Seems pretty suspect.

Until you bring in a credible source, I'd say you didn't "raise" my website. You came up short. You need to put more in the pot.
So: a site that pretty much anyone can join and post to and edit, one that has its own problems with credibility, this site sez swprs is bad and that's good enough for you.

Okay.

Question: did you go to swprs, read the material, read the citations, or did you just wiki it?

CDC & WHO: I guess wikipedia sez these two are A-OK.

-----

from the mouth of the horse, itself: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped ... ble_source
Dontaskme

Re: atto

Post by Dontaskme »

just more hoodwnkin'
Henry, your not living in the cave man days anymore, this is 21st century modern society where people are expected to obey certain rules if we want a civilised sane human society.

This novel virus is a prevalent issue right now that is affecting the whole planet, it's airborne, it's happening Henry, so you need to do your part for the good of the whole. Mask wearing is being made compulsory as part of the effort to slow down the possibility of a huge spike in infections this coming winter. I know you know all this, so unless you are thinking about never leaving the house again, then obviously you won't have to wear a mask.

Be a good little soldier Henry, they sacrifice their lives to protect their countries. This is a different kind of war, but it's a war nonetheless. It's probably the first time you've lived through an actual war, I could be wrong, so it's not easy adapting to changes you are not used to, but sometimes we just have to adapt to things we don't like or agree with, that's just how human societies function especially if they want to be healthy societies..

Someone has to make important decisions and is why we have world leaders. We have to obey our governments advice else the alternative is back to the jungle, the cave man days. The worse case scenario about back to the jungle prospect is that I really don't think humans could live that way of life anymore, they would probably die within weeks, so I know what I would rather choose, it would be compliance with our own accepted conditioned normal that we have lived from birth. There is no new normal for humans, there is only adaptation and compliance and cooperation.

Also it is worth remembering that none of us have ever been alive before, no one really knows anything about this reality we live in, we are just finding out and muddling through as we go along, no one really knows what they are doing, and no one has got all the answers, and so it's not even worth blaming any one for anything if things go badly wrong, because obviously mistakes are going to be made. We're all in the same boat, no one gets out of here alive, we all go down with the sinking ship, and is why we always have to work together as one team.
henry quirk

DAM

Post by henry quirk »

Obey?

No.
Dontaskme

Re: DAM

Post by Dontaskme »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:21 pm Obey?

No.
If you are part of the human society, then you have to obey for your own good. .just like children have to obey their parents rules, because they know what's good for the child, and they lay down the boundaries because they love the child and want to protect it from harms way.

It's the same thing going on in the world of adult children Henry.

What's the alternative? ...go your own way, and live off the grid, all on your own, doing it your own way, away from other peoples rules, good luck with that life. I wish you a happy non-dependent way of living. :D

I know it sucks Henry, but sometimes, we just have to suck it up.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

What's the alternative?

I need no alternative.

I'm here. I'm not leavin'. I will not comply.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:37 pm What's the alternative?

I need no alternative.

I'm here. I'm not leavin'. I will not comply.
Then you won't be allowed in the shop to buy food, or other essentials.

There is always online shopping though..enjoy your self inflicted self isolation life Henry. :wink:

I hope the supermarket websites don't crash, I would hate to think of you having to go into the forest to hunt in desperation, or even resort to stealing your food would be worse, I hope that doesn't happen either.

commonsense

Re: 2020: not safe for anyone

Post by commonsense »

* IT by Stephen King

Try this one, also a classic:
Oh sir...it’s only wafer thin.

:mrgreen:
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

COVID 19? Better safe than sorry.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Then you won't be allowed in the shop to buy food, or other essentials.

That may be tomorrow, but not today.

Yesterday: I dropped into a local grocery for coffee. Some folks were masked, others weren't.

Managment didn't say boo either way.

This morning: I stopped at a gas station to fill up. On the door was a big sign sayin', in effect, your government cannot make you mask, fight for your rights!.

No one in the gas station was masked, includin' the cashier.

It seems I'm not alone in my disobedience.
Last edited by henry quirk on Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:06 pm COVID 19? Better safe than sorry.
Better free than leashed.
henry quirk

Meaning of Life (I think)

Post by henry quirk »

Oh sir...it’s only wafer thin.

prelude to vomit & viscera