'20/'21: not safe for anyone

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: 2020: not safe for anyone

Post by Lacewing »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:26 pm Why the over reaction to a bad cold though? ..never made sense to me.

I say let them that are going to die from the virus die, why waste money on vital resources, and spend time and energy on what is destined to die anyway...
Well, there are many ways to frame it. And that's very powerful because the way we frame things drives our arguments/conclusions. I'm no expert, but it appears to me that Covid is in a different category than just "a bad cold". And I certainly don't want to transmit such a thing to those I love, or even people I don't know.

For example, if you had any kind of contagious disease, would you just say "fuck you" to everyone you came in contact with? Don't we care to have some responsibility to not spread crap around?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:02 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:26 pm Why the over reaction to a bad cold though? ..never made sense to me.

I say let them that are going to die from the virus die, why waste money on vital resources, and spend time and energy on what is destined to die anyway...
Well, there are many ways to frame it. And that's very powerful because the way we frame things drives our arguments/conclusions. I'm no expert, but it appears to me that Covid is in a different category than just "a bad cold". And I certainly don't want to transmit such a thing to those I love, or even people I don't know.

For example, if you had any kind of contagious disease, would you just say "fuck you" to everyone you came in contact with? Don't we care to have some responsibility to not spread crap around?
I agree, but I'm not specifically refering to things like the bubonic plague or something nasty like that, I'm refering to a flu virus that is 99% survivable.
If I ever got the virus myself and my body decided to not cope with it, I wouldn't fret over the possiblity that it may kill me. I guess I'm just weird like that. But I do understand that not all people think the way I do about life and death, so what I say on this forum about anything is always just my own opinion about the matter. :D I'm not asking anyone or wanting anyone to agree with anything I say.

I also have my suspicions about this virus, but that's not for me to disclose to others for fear of offending. In my opinion, people like to be parented by their governments, it makes them feel secure, unlike me who parents no one but herself, but that's just me. :D

Also, the way things are going to change in the world due to this pandemic, has made me not care less whether I live or die anymore. I hate what is happening to the world right now, and look forward to leaving when the time comes.

At the moment our country is in another lockdown and I am adhering to the restrictions like any respectable person would, I'm not a rule breaker, I'm self isolating and loving every minute of it because it is my natural habitat to do that anyway. I'm a solitude lover.

commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:26 pm
commonsense wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:04 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:13 pm

I'm still trying to work out why the big over reaction to a virus that is not going to kill 99% of us..I'm just baffled. :?
Don’t be baffled. There are no plans for forcing people to get a shot.
Why the over reaction to a bad cold though? ..never made sense to me.

I say let them that are going to die from the virus die, why waste money on vital resources, and spend time and energy on what is destined to die anyway...it's like why do people get so offended by the thought of dying..we're all dying, we're all going to be dead one day. What difference if we only live a week or a hundred years, we ain't going to know how long we lived, or grieve over being cheated just one more day once we're dead.
A person’s estimated risk of death by a certain cause may not necessarily be related to the actual mathematical risk.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:44 pm

I agree, but I'm not specifically refering to things like the bubonic plague or something nasty like that, I'm refering to a flu virus that is 99% survivable.
If I ever got the virus myself and my body decided to not cope with it, I wouldn't fret over the possiblity that it may kill me. I guess I'm just weird like that. But I do understand that not all people think the way I do about life and death, so what I say on this forum about anything is always just my own opinion about the matter. :D I'm not asking anyone or wanting anyone to agree with anything I say.

I also have my suspicions about this virus, but that's not for me to disclose to others for fear of offending. In my opinion, people like to be parented by their governments, it makes them feel secure, unlike me who parents no one but herself, but that's just me. :D

Also, the way things are going to change in the world due to this pandemic, has made me not care less whether I live or die anymore. I hate what is happening to the world right now, and look forward to leaving when the time comes.

At the moment our country is in another lockdown and I am adhering to the restrictions like any respectable person would, I'm not a rule breaker, I'm self isolating and loving every minute of it because it is my natural habitat to do that anyway. I'm a solitude lover.
My understanding is that the 1% who die of Coronavirus do so by suffocation when the breathing muscles fail to contract effectively.

The fatal respiratory distress seems to occur in the face of a pulmonary clot wedged in a lung or from damage to lung tissue caused by the virus and the inflammation that accompanies the infection.

I’m not afraid of dying,t but if I had my choice I’d rather not die by suffocation, which seems to be like exhaling completely and then stopping breathing.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

commonsense wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:21 pm
My understanding is that the 1% who die of Coronavirus do so by suffocation when the breathing muscles fail to contract effectively.

The fatal respiratory distress seems to occur in the face of a pulmonary clot wedged in a lung or from damage to lung tissue caused by the virus and the inflammation that accompanies the infection.

I’m not afraid of dying,t but if I had my choice I’d rather not die by suffocation, which seems to be like exhaling completely and then stopping breathing.
You are probably right you know.

Doctors and governments, and the newspapers don't ever tell us the gory details of what can happen to the body when a virus gains access.

There must be thousands or millions of horrible ways to die, but being dead in and of itself is nothing to fear.

Anyways, I wish you a good death when the time comes :D that's all any of us can hope for.

Ps, I was just wondering, ..don't the medical people put the patient who is suffocating into a coma anyway, to save the trauma to the patient?

commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Dontaskme wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:14 pm
Ps, I was just wondering, ..don't the medical people put the patient who is suffocating into a coma anyway, to save the trauma to the patient?
Yes they do, if the individual is under medical care, and then they eventually may turn the ventilator off, mercifully.

Doesn’t that raise the issues of physician-assisted suicide or euthanasia?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:44 pm

Some young and previously healthy people suffer multiple organ damage after the acute stage of the illness.The damage from covid is not only death but also suffering (pain and loss of bodily functions)and loss of income with resultant poverty.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:45 pm

Some young and previously healthy people suffer multiple organ damage after the acute stage of the illness.The damage from covid is not only death but also suffering (pain and loss of bodily functions)and loss of income with resultant poverty.
Well isn't that a bummer, who'd have thought a virus could cause so much death destruction misery and distress. Isn't life just a bitch and then you die.

It's totally heartbreaking. Who ever created this unintelligent, shocking, sadistic shit show of a life needs ...........and I've just run out of words.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

commonsense wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:12 pm
Dontaskme wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:14 pm
Yes they do, if the individual is under medical care, and then they eventually may turn the ventilator off, mercifully.

Doesn’t that raise the issues of physician-assisted suicide or euthanasia?
I personally think if people genuinely don't want to be alive any more, then they should have the right to die with dignity by humane method such as physician-assisted suicide or euthanasia.

But we live in a strange world where, animals including our beloved pets are put to sleep at the drop of a hat, no question ..but for people they have to resort to inflicting horrific painful violence on their own mind and body, by jumping in front of a train, or in front of a lorry, or jumping of cliffs, or high buildings, or stabbing themselves with long sharp knives, or shooting their brains out, or hanging themselves from a tree...etc

Humans are just so offended by the word DEATH....it's like humans are just meant to live slow agonising despairing lives, and are expected to just shut up and put up with it.

Personally, I'm looking foward to exiting this planet earth and hope and pray that I never ever ever ever come back ever again.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

We know dying with dignity is an option available.

But it's not available for everyone, that's the problem.

Who gets to decide if someone who doesn't want to be alive anymore cannot have their life terminated in a humane way? I'm not talking about mentally or terminally ill, or severely depressed people here. Who gets to decide when a person has a mental disorder and cannot make up their own mind about whether they want to live or die.And yet when someone who has a perfectly healthy pet cat who just happens to display agressive anger issues towards their owner, it suddenly becomes a problem, and they can just take the cat to the vet and have it's life terminated without question.
henry quirk

bottomline...

Post by henry quirk »

3AA807B2-A971-498F-8D9D-18908110BBD5.jpeg
3AA807B2-A971-498F-8D9D-18908110BBD5.jpeg (91.67 KiB) Viewed 142 times
henry quirk

'morning, forum...

Post by henry quirk »

F72D1A46-E441-4EC3-BC9C-1FC076EBEE48.jpeg
F72D1A46-E441-4EC3-BC9C-1FC076EBEE48.jpeg (64.44 KiB) Viewed 142 times
henry quirk

gonna happen, is happenin', whether you like it or not...

Post by henry quirk »

ABD5ED05-FB37-40E7-9BFA-D0975E621E68.jpeg
ABD5ED05-FB37-40E7-9BFA-D0975E621E68.jpeg (13.79 KiB) Viewed 141 times
rant & rage & riot: ORANGE MAN persists
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

ORANGE man good. Policies bad.

“None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” -Goethe