Page 77 of 110

Re: irony

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:08 pm
by henry quirk
Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:59 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:27 pm 19FB0D82-170B-4481-95AF-EE3499412417.jpeg
But the law must be even handed.
not sure what your point is

okay, then...

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:14 pm
by henry quirk
42CACFD4-0270-4BA3-95A0-8B80D946FD15.jpeg
42CACFD4-0270-4BA3-95A0-8B80D946FD15.jpeg (56.77 KiB) Viewed 114 times

okay, then...

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:16 pm
by henry quirk

indeed, that is all...

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:19 pm
by henry quirk

Re: irony

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:23 pm
by Belinda
henry quirk wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:08 pm
Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:59 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:27 pm 19FB0D82-170B-4481-95AF-EE3499412417.jpeg
But the law must be even handed.
not sure what your point is
Sorry. I mean that if the man has done time for his previous crimes those crimes should not be used against him, by policemen or judges. If on the other hand these crimes are added on to a list of crimes that he has not been punished for then the backlog of crimes has to be dealt with too.

It's fact that policemen are prejudiced against black men.

Re: irony

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:34 pm
by Immanuel Can
Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:23 pm It's fact that policemen are prejudiced against black men.
Apparently not. There's actually zero evidence for that, and a lot of evidence to the contrary, in fact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQCQFH5wOJo

Re: irony

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:46 pm
by henry quirk
Sorry. I mean that if the man has done time for his previous crimes those crimes should not be used against him, by policemen or judges. If on the other hand these crimes are added on to a list of crimes that he has not been punished for then the backlog of crimes has to be dealt with too.

if joe is a convicted pedo his conviction ought not be considered if he's tried for, say, armed robbery, yeah?

why?

seems to me: a man's history sez sumthin' about him


It's fact that policemen are prejudiced against black men.

evidence, please

Re: irony

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:48 pm
by Belinda
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:34 pm
Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:23 pm It's fact that policemen are prejudiced against black men.
Apparently not. There's actually zero evidence for that, and a lot of evidence to the contrary, in fact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQCQFH5wOJo
Yes, of course. i should have said "some policemen" actually institutional bullying of black people is more worrying than the occasional bad apple.

Re: irony

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:50 pm
by Belinda
henry quirk wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:46 pm Sorry. I mean that if the man has done time for his previous crimes those crimes should not be used against him, by policemen or judges. If on the other hand these crimes are added on to a list of crimes that he has not been punished for then the backlog of crimes has to be dealt with too.

if joe is a convicted pedo his conviction ought not be considered if he's tried for, say, armed robbery, yeah?

why?

seems to me: a man's history sez sumthin' about him


It's fact that policemen are prejudiced against black men.

evidence, please
Convicted paedophiles are put on a register, as paedophilia is reckoned to be a permanent state of the personality.

Re: irony

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:57 pm
by Immanuel Can
Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:48 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:34 pm
Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:23 pm It's fact that policemen are prejudiced against black men.
Apparently not. There's actually zero evidence for that, and a lot of evidence to the contrary, in fact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQCQFH5wOJo
Yes, of course. i should have said "some policemen"...
Which ones? Are you supposing, for example, the policemen who may have mishandled the G. Floyd situation actually were sitting in a donut shop five minutes before, and one of them said, "Tell ye what, boys...let's go get us a black guy."

That's what you think happened?

Re: irony

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:59 pm
by Immanuel Can
Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:50 pm Convicted paedophiles are put on a register, as paedophilia is reckoned to be a permanent state of the personality.
That is because paedophelia is clinically incurable. It can only be suppressed, not eliminated, by the methods we currently possess. Paedophiles remain a danger. Like alcoholics, they must keep themselves, or be kept, from the source of their temptation, or they relapse.

Re: irony

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:49 pm
by henry quirk
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:59 pm
Belinda wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:50 pm Convicted paedophiles are put on a register, as paedophilia is reckoned to be a permanent state of the personality.
That is because paedophelia is clinically incurable. It can only be suppressed, not eliminated, by the methods we currently possess. Paedophiles remain a danger. Like alcoholics, they must keep themselves, or be kept, from the source of their temptation, or they relapse.
all true and all beside the point

again: a man's history sez sumthin' about him...his choices (or afflictions) are a kind of definition

it's dumb to suggest that history ought to ignored, that a man should stand as a blank slate

joe is accused of X: the trial ain't about X, it's about determinin' if Joe did X

his history (as blameless, as criminal) is relevant

innocent till proven guilty doesn't mean ignore the facts of a man's life

Re: irony

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:42 pm
by Immanuel Can
henry quirk wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:49 pm again: a man's history sez sumthin' about him...his choices (or afflictions) are a kind of definition
In the case of paedophilia, this seems to be quite true. Once people cross that line, then short of a miracle, they don't seem to go back. The bad choice to cross the line becomes a definition.

Re: 2020: not safe for anyone

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:08 pm
by Impenitent
Image

-Imp

Re: 2020: not safe for anyone

Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:44 pm
by Impenitent
Image

-Imp