US's Covid Stats - an Embarassment

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: US's Covid Stats - an Embarassment

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:31 am Laos - Infection =19, Death = Zero, Active Case to date = Zero
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

How can that be??
From what I know of Laos -a 3rd World country, the above numbers seem impossible.
Then I read this;
The low number of cases in Communist-run Laos had prompted scepticism, but a representative of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) in Laos said there were few unofficial reports of illnesses or deaths on social media or in villages.

"It's difficult to hide, so yes, I believe it," said Ludovic Arnout, the IFRC's Asia Pacific Coordinator for Water, Sanitation, Health and Care, based in Laos.

He praised the government's community information campaign that reached remote areas.

He also credited awareness among Lao people, who willingly embraced the cancellation of April's annual Laos New Year water festival and accepted wearing face masks to prevent spread of disease.

"The masks were widely used quite quickly," he said.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/19371 ... s-response
There are many countries with verified success stories, e.g. Vietnam, Taiwan, Hong Kong, New Zealand, and others.

Why the USA did not at least learn from them and adopt their strategies and enforced it strictly.
If the USA did that I am sure their Covid19 numbers would not go as high as the present almost 4 million infections and 150K deaths.
The above numbers are really an terrible embarrassment for the USA and is reek of stupidity.
Laos has a very low testing rate. Obviously if you aren't doing any testing then your infection rate will be very 'low'.

I've got the perfect solution to America's problem. Just stop testing. That will get your numbers down to zero in no time flat :D
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Possible if low testing.
But then, even if the infection numbers are hidden, it is not likely they can hide the death-by-covid number.
If the hidden infections are very high, then the death by covid19 would be very evident. The relatives of those who died of covid19 will surely say something, unless they are able to shut them up as well.

As mentioned there are red cross personnel in Laos, so it is unlikely they can hide anything serious from them.

Laos reported 19 cases of infection, even if they under-reported and say, the actual case is 10 times, that would only be 190 cases which is still a very good results relative to others.
vegetariantaxidermy

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:49 am Possible if low testing.
But then, even if the infection numbers are hidden, it is not likely they can hide the death-by-covid number.
If the hidden infections are very high, then the death by covid19 would be very evident. The relatives of those who died of covid19 will surely say something, unless they are able to shut them up as well.

As mentioned there are red cross personnel in Laos, so it is unlikely they can hide anything serious from them.

Laos reported 19 cases of infection, even if they under-reported and say, the actual case is 10 times, that would only be 190 cases which is still a very good results relative to others.
Oh well, perhaps a low life expectancy, high illiteracy, and poor sanitation are covid-protectors (which might well be the case since most covid mortalities are 75 plus).
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Vietnam has 300 reported cases and no deaths.
Seems like S E Asia has previous exposure to COVID type viruses and have the right T-Cells.
Ot if you beleive in Karma, America is getting some pay back!

This low incidence is repeated in Cambodia too.
It's not as if they are getting the infection late either. All three countries had their first cases in early March. And if you think it has something to do with low population density; try visiting a market in Luang Prabang or Phenom Phen. I've not been to Vietnam, but I'm told that their cities are even more crammed.
vegetariantaxidermy

We've had around 1500 cases and 22 deaths, with every single one of those deaths being people in aged care facilities.
I don't think we have any special 'T cells'. If you take the elderly at-deaths-door rest home residents out of the equation (who could have died from a cold) then 'statistically' you could say that it has a zero mortality rate. So you can see how complicated it gets when trying to work out exactly how deadly this virus is.
It's impossible to pinpoint any single factor.
Vietnam has a population of 97 million and has only done 275k tests. Its stats mean nothing and Communist countries are notorious liars. The US has done 47 million tests.
Veritas Aequitas

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:20 am We've had around 1500 cases and 22 deaths, with every single one of those deaths being people in aged care facilities.
I don't think we have any special 'T cells'. If you take the elderly at-deaths-door rest home residents out of the equation (who could have died from a cold) then 'statistically' you could say that it has a zero mortality rate. So you can see how complicated it gets when trying to work out exactly how deadly this virus is.
Vietnam has a population of 97 million and has only done 275k tests. Its stats mean nothing and Communist countries are notorious liars. The US has done 47 million tests.
I think the critical number is the death count.
The US has around 150,000 deaths while Vietnam and Laos had zero death.
Even if Vietnam or Laos had up to 10,000 deaths it it not likely they can hide that since both countries are open to foreigners and the Red Cross and others are present.

I believe the major reason is the sense of freedom, liberty and autonomy most Americans are instilled with via their constitution and political parties on both sides.
This is why it is difficult to get them to act co-operatively with the same consciousness against the threat of the epidemic.
In addition the USA is at present too diverse with the loads of immigrants in recent times, who came in without time for assimilation and those with no intention to assimilate at all.
Veritas Aequitas

Sculptor wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:02 am

Seems like S E Asia has previous exposure to COVID type viruses and have the right T-Cells.

It's not as if they are getting the infection late either. All three countries had their first cases in early March. And if you think it has something to do with low population density; try visiting a market in Luang Prabang or Phenom Phen. I've not been to Vietnam, but I'm told that their cities are even more crammed.
Thailand's numbers are also low.
I have been to Vietnam and Thailand their Cities and markets are crowded with people.
The exception in SEA are Singapore, Indonesia and Philippines.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:58 am
Sculptor wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:02 am

Thailand's numbers are also low.
I have been to Vietnam and Thailand their Cities and markets are crowded with people.
The exception in SEA are Singapore, Indonesia and Philippines.
There was a epidemiologist on Radio 4 on Tuesday, who thought this was due to previous exposure to other Covid variants. Being a scientist he did not state for certain since to say this for sure would require testing evidence which does not exist.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:53 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:20 am We've had around 1500 cases and 22 deaths, with every single one of those deaths being people in aged care facilities.
Even if Vietnam or Laos had up to 10,000 deaths it it not likely they can hide that since both countries are open to foreigners and the Red Cross and others are present.

I believe the major reason is the sense of freedom, liberty and autonomy most Americans are instilled with via their constitution and political parties on both sides.
This does not explain the situation, since it is clear that the peoples of Vietnam, Laos, Thailand and Cambodia live far more busy close to hand lives than most Americans.
In Cambodia is is typical to see an entire family (parents, two children and Grandma) on the back of a Honda 125, driving through a market so busy that they are rubbing shoulds with everyone they pass. A moment later you could see a dead pig on the back of another Honda, squeezing through the crowds. Same in Loas, although less populated. In Thailand many areas asre just the same. Bangkock although superficailly more modern is similarly crowded.
These people have plenty of liberty and autonomy, when it comes to passing on a disease.

https://api.time.com/wp-content/uploads ... quality=85
Veritas Aequitas

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:24 am

This does not explain the situation, since it is clear that the peoples of Vietnam, Laos, Thailand and Cambodia live far more busy close to hand lives than most Americans.
In Cambodia is is typical to see an entire family (parents, two children and Grandma) on the back of a Honda 125, driving through a market so busy that they are rubbing shoulds with everyone they pass. A moment later you could see a dead pig on the back of another Honda, squeezing through the crowds. Same in Loas, although less populated. In Thailand many areas asre just the same. Bangkock although superficailly more modern is similarly crowded.
These people have plenty of liberty and autonomy, when it comes to passing on a disease.

But when their [Laos, Vietnam, Thailand] government and health departments issued preventive instructions re lockdowns, wearing of mask, social distancing, they are willing to sacrifice their freedom and autonomy in addition they cannot complain nor protest.

But it is not the case in the USA where so many who are rebellious against lockdowns, wearing of mask, social distancing and other preventive measures recommend by the health authorities. Worst when the leaders are not leading by examples.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:32 am
Sculptor wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:24 am

But when their [Laos, Vietnam, Thailand] government and health departments issued preventive instructions re lockdowns, wearing of mask, social distancing, they are willing to sacrifice their freedom and autonomy in addition they cannot complain nor protest.

But it is not the case in the USA where so many who are rebellious against lockdowns, wearing of mask, social distancing and other preventive measures recommend by the health authorities. Worst when the leaders are not leading by examples.
It's clear you only have a western media viewpoint of "commie" countries. LOL
Yes, they did lockdown, but that does not explain the zero deaths in Vietnam, with only 380 reported cases with barely any testing. (meaning the actual number of infections is way higher)
That's why the scientists are interested in their immunity.
vegetariantaxidermy

If it's so 'crowded and poverty stricken' then people could be dying and no one knows what they died of. Perhaps they think they died of flu. Perhaps people don't live as long. Perhaps the govt. isn't keeping tabs. Perhaps they aren't fat Western fucks who have smoked and drunk themselves to an early demise. Who knows? Speculate all you like. You don't know anything.
Veritas Aequitas

Note this forum is titled: Coronavirus Discussions
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:43 am What I am saying is;
  • Since the USA [prior to the pandemic] was rated [touted] as the best prepared nation to deal with a pandemic, then we should expect the infection cases and deaths to be very low relative to other countries.
    If the USA had performed to its ratings as number 1, then we should expect the total infection cases to be say 5K and deaths 500 cases as in the few infection and zero death case with Ebola.
    Thus it is an embarrassment for the USA that the actual cases to date are 960K infections and 54K deaths.
It is the same embarrassment currently attributed to the USA regarding the slums of homelessness in the various Democrats controlled cities when the USA is rated to be the greatest of the First-World countries.
Perhaps the problem is imagining the USA is the greatest first world country. This places a burden on you to perform. Why not just say you're the biggest, which is at least a justifiable claim, This may take the pressure off.

Besides, you didn't stand a chance of dealing with this situation competently under the current management.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Over 200,000 COVID deaths in the US in less than 1 year. Compare that to the flu which kills anywhere from 3,000 to 49,000 per year. I'd say it's a serious pandemic alright. Looks like the skeptics here were wrong.