US's Covid Stats - an Embarassment

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: US's Covid Stats - an Embarassment

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

attofishpi wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:58 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:45 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:36 pm

U R havin a larf.

US = 1/3 of the TOTAL PLANETS INFECTIONS (and rising at a terrible rate) - how does that equate to their population size?

btw. Europe has over 500 million people.
The US has 330 million people. If you look at deaths per million it's nowhere near the highest. I don't know why China and India are even shown on this chart. Their numbers are ridiculous. Russia's seem pretty dodgy too.
Well, blow my socks off - I was pretty certain we are talking about infection rates?

They US has done nearly 6 million tests. Of course it's going to have a high infection rate. Most people who get it only have mild symptoms--many have no symptoms. Anyone can GET it, but only a small percentage get serious symptoms.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:05 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:45 pm

The US has 330 million people. If you look at deaths per million it's nowhere near the highest. I don't know why China and India are even shown on this chart. Their numbers are ridiculous. Russia's seem pretty dodgy too.
Well, blow my socks off - I was pretty certain we are talking about infection rates?

They US has done nearly 6 million tests. Of course it's going to have a high infection rate. Most people who get it only have mild symptoms--many have no symptoms. Anyone can GET it, but only a small percentage get serious symptoms.
I can't believe you have so much faith in what is being reported from the US - I'd almost believe China over the US.

So.

Do you think Europe with a larger population than the US has more infections than the US?

Even more importantly - is the infection rate greater in Europe than the US?
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:10 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:05 pm

I can't believe you have so much faith in what is being reported from the US - I'd almost believe China over the US.

So.

Do you think Europe with a larger population than the US has more infections than the US?

Even more importantly - is the infection rate greater in Europe than the US?
China's figures are absurd. It's not even releasing its rate of testing figures. Obviously if a country is doing hardly any testing then its 'rate of infection' is going to be low. It's not a matter of 'faith', it's about what makes sense.
The US does seem to have an infection rate that is higher than you would expect but doesn't that make its death rate quite low? Keep in mind that the US got the infection before Europe did. It has also done far more 'total tests' than any other country. Look at the 'deaths per million' figures. The world statistics are complicated and full of anomalies and inconsistencies and it's too early for anyone to be an 'expert'--not even epidemiologists.
Everyone seems to think the US is doing worse than anywhere else but that doesn't mean much to me. Everything's about politics these days so I'm trying to analyse and make sense of the figures myself. The US does have the disadvantage of having the stupidest population on the planet and millions of morons who think the virus is a 'commie lie' to rob them of their 'freedoms'--so try containing people like THAT for any length of time.
Australia hasn't had a very strict lockdown, and it has reduced its infection rate to practically nothing, so I assume American's curve will start to 'flatten' soon.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:39 pm The US does have the disadvantage of having the stupidest population on the planet and millions of morons who think the virus is a 'commie lie' to rob them of their 'freedoms'--so try containing people like THAT for any length of time.

Australia hasn't had a very strict lockdown, and it has reduced its infection rate to practically nothing, so I assume American's curve will start to 'flatten' soon.
That is my point re the US.
While the USA is often touted as the 'greatest country' in various critical criteria in the World, the Covid19 pandemic has exposed the US as having the stupidest population
in this regard, thus the embarrassment.

Personally I had always have the thought ['brainwashed'] the US is the greatest country in the world until I noted the number of obese people everywhere, the the number of homeless people, the drug addicts, the 'third world slums' in the Democrats controlled cities, and other horrible things going on the US.

Then I still have the confidence the US would still be the best prepared country in term of Healthcare to face a pandemic, then the US' Covid19 stats;
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
exposed the US as an embarrassment.

I am not blaming Trump directly as I believe any President for either party would have performed the same whilst in the same rut.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:18 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:39 pm The US does have the disadvantage of having the stupidest population on the planet and millions of morons who think the virus is a 'commie lie' to rob them of their 'freedoms'--so try containing people like THAT for any length of time.

That is my point re the US.
While the USA is often touted as the 'greatest country' in various critical criteria in the World, the Covid19 pandemic has exposed the US as having the stupidest population
in this regard, thus the embarrassment.

Personally I had always have the thought ['brainwashed'] the US is the greatest country in the world until I noted the number of obese people everywhere, the the number of homeless people, the drug addicts, the 'third world slums' in the Democrats controlled cities, and other horrible things going on the US.
Holy Crap!! One of them has seen beyond the bullshit machine!!

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:18 amThen I still have the confidence the US would still be the best prepared country in term of Healthcare to face a pandemic, then the US' Covid19 stats;
exposed the US as an embarrassment.
I disagree, the American healthcare system which is geared towards $dollars for 'care' - private hospitals requiring insurance coverage (which is part and parcel of actually having a job) is part of the US problem right now.
Governor of NY stated each state were in a bidding war with each other for PPE supplies!!
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:18 amI am not blaming Trump directly as I believe any President for either party would have performed the same whilst in the same rut.
Trump is ....is ...words fail me. You needed a LEADER to stand up there and give directives and guidance - instead you had a Chump stood there blowing rose petals up the publics arse and telling everyone what a GREAT job everyone is doing -- no direction, no leadership.
Veritas Aequitas

attofishpi wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:13 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:18 amI am not blaming Trump directly as I believe any President for either party would have performed the same whilst in the same rut.
Trump is ....is ...words fail me. You needed a LEADER to stand up there and give directives and guidance - instead you had a Chump stood there blowing rose petals up the publics arse and telling everyone what a GREAT job everyone is doing -- no direction, no leadership.
Do you think some other President of the USA in the present time could have done better with this Covid19 pandemic.
You think, Hillary, Obama, Biden, Bernie, or any other would be a better President in dealing with this Covid19 pandemic?

Taking his positives and negatives into considerations, I believe Trump had done the best he could given the current limitations.
vegetariantaxidermy

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:25 am
Do you think some other President of the USA in the present time could have done better with this Covid19 pandemic.
You think, Hillary, Obama, Biden, Bernie, or any other would be a better President in dealing with this Covid19 pandemic?

Taking his positives and negatives into considerations, I believe Trump had done the best he could given the current limitations.
No one seems to be crucifying the Spanish and Italian prime ministers, or the English one for that matter.

Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

But a good deal of people here in sweden blame our Stadsminister - as well as the authority for health.

To be true though, everybody seems just undecided, reading articles about curves, flock immunity, probability of a “second and third wave” and what not. Here everybody is a Stadsminister with all the right answers. The Norwegians will die later. Hopefully. Or...well .. yanowwattamean..
vegetariantaxidermy

Ansiktsburk wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:39 am But a good deal of people here in sweden blame our Stadsminister - as well as the authority for health.

To be true though, everybody seems just undecided, reading articles about curves, flock immunity, probability of a “second and third wave” and what not. Here everybody is a Stadsminister with all the right answers. The Norwegians will die later. Hopefully. Or...well .. yanowwattamean..
Why do you want Norwegians to die later? Do your two countries dislike each other?
Ansiktsburk

Post by Ansiktsburk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:51 am
Ansiktsburk wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:39 am But a good deal of people here in sweden blame our Stadsminister - as well as the authority for health.

Why do you want Norwegians to die later? Do your two countries dislike each other?
Since English is not my maiden language my irony did not come through. Thats more like how some people talk. The ones in favor of our current strategy. Which has so far not proven successful compared to that of our neighbours. Deathwise.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:25 am

Limitations being? - being an imbecile?

This dude would have done a better job. At least Clyde wouldn't have told everyone it was just a flu and injecting bleach might be able to fix it.
Attachments
NextUsPresident.jpg
NextUsPresident.jpg (8.28 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
Veritas Aequitas

USA 1.263 million infections, 74.8K deaths.
second
Spain 253K infections 25.8 deaths.

What an embarrassment!
given that the USA has been touted as the greatest country on Earth in many Key Performance Criteria [KPI].
Veritas Aequitas

USA 3,833,271 infections, 142,877 deaths.

Note Vietnam - recently a third world, now developing;

Vietnam: 382 [ONLY] infections, zero! deaths.

Earlier I did not trust Vietnam's number from what I know of Vietnam.
But then I saw these Videos on how Vietnam applied extra-ordinary efforts and citizens' co-operation to ensure Covid19 virus do not spread.
The fact is Vietnam learned their lessons from their terrible SARs experience earlier, thus were in a way 'paranoid' with any threat of a epidemic.

How Vietnam's authoritarian government succeeded at containing COVID-19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RjDqEauJMU

Vietnam has zero coronavirus deaths. Here’s why. | CNBC Reports
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDk9CW82puo

Relative to Vietnam's achievements in dealing with the Covid19 virus, the US is an embarasment and very shameful given that the USA has always been touted as the greatest in this and that.

I also noted Myanmar and Laos also has very low infections, but I have not read of whether they had taken extra-ordinary efforts or not.

Low numbers do not necessary indicate success.
The numbers from the African and South American countries were initially very low, but now their numbers are increasing tremenduously.

What counts with success has to depend on whether the country has the political will and had established very effective preventive measures.
vegetariantaxidermy

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:21 am USA 3,833,271 infections, 142,877 deaths.

Note Vietnam - recently a third world, now developing;

Vietnam: 382 [ONLY] infections, zero! deaths.

Earlier I did not trust Vietnam's number from what I know of Vietnam.
But then I saw these Videos on how Vietnam applied extra-ordinary efforts and citizens' co-operation to ensure Covid19 virus do not spread.
The fact is Vietnam learned their lessons from their terrible SARs experience earlier, thus were in a way 'paranoid' with any threat of a epidemic.

How Vietnam's authoritarian government succeeded at containing COVID-19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RjDqEauJMU

Vietnam has zero coronavirus deaths. Here’s why. | CNBC Reports
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDk9CW82puo

Relative to Vietnam's achievements in dealing with the Covid19 virus, the US is an embarasment and very shameful given that the USA has always been touted as the greatest in this and that.

I also noted Myanmar and Laos also has very low infections, but I have not read of whether they had taken extra-ordinary efforts or not.

Low numbers do not necessary indicate success.
The numbers from the African and South American countries were initially very low, but now their numbers are increasing tremenduously.

What counts with success has to depend on whether the country has the political will and had established very effective preventive measures.
There are only a few countries whose figures you can take seriously. Third world countries with poor sanitation and primitive health care are hardly going to be doing mass testing--not when they have things like cholera and typhoid to worry about.
Veritas Aequitas

Laos - Infection =19, Death = Zero, Active Case to date = Zero

How can that be??
From what I know of Laos -a 3rd World country, the above numbers seem impossible.
Then I read this;
The low number of cases in Communist-run Laos had prompted scepticism, but a representative of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) in Laos said there were few unofficial reports of illnesses or deaths on social media or in villages.

"It's difficult to hide, so yes, I believe it," said Ludovic Arnout, the IFRC's Asia Pacific Coordinator for Water, Sanitation, Health and Care, based in Laos.

He praised the government's community information campaign that reached remote areas.

He also credited awareness among Lao people, who willingly embraced the cancellation of April's annual Laos New Year water festival and accepted wearing face masks to prevent spread of disease.

"The masks were widely used quite quickly," he said.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/19371 ... s-response
There are many countries with verified success stories, e.g. Vietnam, Taiwan, Hong Kong, New Zealand, and others.

Why the USA did not at least learn from them and adopt their strategies and enforced it strictly.
If the USA did that I am sure their Covid19 numbers would not go as high as the present almost 4 million infections and 150K deaths.
The above numbers are really an terrible embarrassment for the USA and is reek of stupidity.