US's Covid Stats - an Embarassment

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

US's Covid Stats - an Embarassment

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

As I read the figures as of now
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/,
  • USA
    Infections: 960,896
    Deaths: 54,265

The next
    Spain
    Infections: 223,759
    Deaths: 22,902
The other stats are the Infection per million and Death per million.
The US figures on these are also high.

Prior to the Covid19 pandemic, the USA has always been ranked as the best country most prepared to deal with a pandemic.
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/global ... ss-ranked/
Today’s chart pulls data from the 2019 Global Health Security Index, which ranks 195 countries on health security. It reveals that while there were top performers, healthcare systems around the world on average are fundamentally weak—and not prepared for new disease outbreaks.
What is embarrassing with the USA is the people cannot work as an effective team in dealing with Covid19 with many dissenting views from various quarters.
  • In the earlier stages many were not taking the social distancing seriously.
    At present, there many lockdown protestors.
    The two main parties do not appear to be able to work together for the common good in view of the danger of the pandemic.
    The medias are also divided at blindly attack other views.
The above are the reasons why the Covid Stats from the USA on total infection and death are so high.

Ultimately the President of the Day has to take responsibility but I don't believe President Trump should bear the primary blame in this case since he had tried to do the best he can based on the advice of experts.

Why do you think the Covid Stats from the USA is so high, i.e. 4+ times the next worst, i.e. Spain?
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: US's Covid Stats - an Embarassment

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

The US does have 7 times the population of Spain. The US also has a third of the deaths per million that Spain does so I'm not sure what you are basing your assertions on. But wow, look at China. One and a half billion people, first to get the virus--yet only 11 new cases today, and NO new deaths. Amazing BWHAAAHAAAHAAA!!!!!
Veritas Aequitas

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:29 am The US does have 7 times the population of Spain. The US also has a third of the deaths per million that Spain does so I'm not sure what you are basing your assertions on. But wow, look at China. One and a half billion people, first to get the virus--yet only 11 new cases today, and NO new deaths. Amazing BWHAAAHAAAHAAA!!!!!
I believe the total infection and death would be effective measurement.
In this case, the USA was touted as likely best prepared nation to deal with a pandemic, yet it has 960K infection cases and 54K deaths and this total is still rising everyday.

Since the USA was rated as the best prepared nation to deal with a pandemic, then we should expect the infection cases and deaths to be very low relative to other countries.
If the USA had performed to it ratings as number 1, then we should expect the total infection cases to be say 5K and deaths 500 cases as in the few infection and zero death case with Ebola.
Thus it is an embarrassment for the USA that the actual cases to date are 960K infections and 54K deaths.

The population basis is not the most effective measurement.
If the total for the USA [pop. 331 million] at 960K infections and 54K death is acceptable, then proportionately it would be acceptable for India with a population of 1.38b to have 3billion infections and 216K of deaths. [China not used here since disputable].
If we look at the existing charts, the population basis is not the most effective.
In addition, the number of infection and death are not proportionately distributed in accordance to its population and states but concentrated mostly in a few locations.

Given the current population distribution of the World, I believe the rating of how a nation performed should be based on purely total number of infections and deaths.

The infection and death rate by population is also important and should be noted, but it is of secondary consideration.
vegetariantaxidermy

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:27 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:29 am The US does have 7 times the population of Spain. The US also has a third of the deaths per million that Spain does so I'm not sure what you are basing your assertions on. But wow, look at China. One and a half billion people, first to get the virus--yet only 11 new cases today, and NO new deaths. Amazing BWHAAAHAAAHAAA!!!!!
I believe the total infection and death would be effective measurement.
In this case, the USA was touted as likely best prepared nation to deal with a pandemic, yet it has 960K infection cases and 54K deaths and this total is still rising everyday.

Since the USA was rated as the best prepared nation to deal with a pandemic, then we should expect the infection cases and deaths to be very low relative to other countries.
If the USA had performed to it ratings as number 1, then we should expect the total infection cases to be say 5K and deaths 500 cases as in the few infection and zero death case with Ebola.
Thus it is an embarrassment for the USA that the actual cases to date are 960K infections and 54K deaths.

The population basis is not the most effective measurement.
If the total for the USA [pop. 331 million] at 960K infections and 54K death is acceptable, then proportionately it would be acceptable for India with a population of 1.38b to have 3billion infections and 216K of deaths. [China not used here since disputable].
If we look at the existing charts, the population basis is not the most effective.
In addition, the number of infection and death are not proportionately distributed in accordance to its population and states but concentrated mostly in a few locations.

Given the current population distribution of the World, I believe the rating of how a nation performed should be based on purely total number of infections and deaths.

The infection and death rate by population is also important and should be noted, but it is of secondary consideration.
India's 'statistics' are even more hilarious than China's. You have to look at all the figures. The US isn't doing the worst--not by a long stretch.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Veritas Aequitas wrote:...

Why do you think the Covid Stats from the USA is so high, i.e. 4+ times the next worst, i.e. Spain?
But America is doing quite well so far given their comparative population size?
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:22 am

I thought so too. I'm pretty sure the UK is doing a lot worse.
vegetariantaxidermy

Of course, if a country is doing NO tests then it will have a very low rate of death and infection :lol: :lol:
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I thought so too. I'm pretty sure the UK is doing a lot worse.
Much worse I think as we are currently only counting hospital deaths and not those in care-homes so the guess is we are missing at least 3,000 off the count and could be up to 10,000.
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:07 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: I thought so too. I'm pretty sure the UK is doing a lot worse.
Much worse I think as we are currently only counting hospital deaths and not those in care-homes so the guess is we are missing at least 3,000 off the count and could be up to 10,000.
And most of our deaths have been in rest homes. You would think they would try to have some kind of consistency between countries and their figures. If we weren't counting rest home deaths then our death toll would be only a third of what it is. That would be six deaths of elderly people with underlying health conditions out of 1470 cases. How would you work out THAT mortality rate? And I'm not saying the govt. did the wrong thing. There was no way of predicting what the virus would do, or how many people would succumb to it. It's also still very warm here with winter just around the corner.
Veritas Aequitas

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:55 am India's 'statistics' are even more hilarious than China's. You have to look at all the figures. The US isn't doing the worst--not by a long stretch.
I am not saying the US is doing the absolute worst.

What I am saying is;
  • Since the USA [prior to the pandemic] was rated [touted] as the best prepared nation to deal with a pandemic, then we should expect the infection cases and deaths to be very low relative to other countries.
    If the USA had performed to its ratings as number 1, then we should expect the total infection cases to be say 5K and deaths 500 cases as in the few infection and zero death case with Ebola.
It is the same embarrassment currently attributed to the USA regarding the slums of homelessness in the various Democrats controlled cities when the USA is rated to be the greatest of the First-World countries.
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Veritas Aequitas

I am not making comparison based on comparative population size.

I am making the comparison based on the rated 'greatness' of the countries.

Take a look at this link;
The US was rated to be the best prepared country to face a pandemic effectively.
But when faced with the reality it suffered 987K of infection and 55K of death to date.
This is an embarrassment.

The UK is also an embarrassment but not as embarrassing as the US because the US was touted to be the greatest of many things [health, etc.] in the World but yet performed very badly when faced with a real pandemic.
Veritas Aequitas

One reason the US is an embarrassment in terms of its response to the Covid19 pandemic is some of the critical criteria were not taken into account.

The criteria used in the rating in here,
are the following;
  • Prevention
    Prevention of the emergence or release of pathogens
    Detection and Reporting
    Early detection and reporting for epidemics of potential international concern
    Rapid Response
    Capability of rapidly responding to and mitigating the spread of an epidemic
    Health System
    Sufficient and robust and health system to treat the sick and protect health workers
    Compliance with Global Norms
    Compliance with international norms by improving national capacity, financing plans to address gaps
    Risk Environment
    Risk environment and country vulnerability to biological threats
What the above did not take into account are the following;
  • A. Individual Attitude
    Each citizen to understand the seriousness of a pandemic and to co-operate spontaneously and voluntarily for the greater good.

B. Political Unity
    The ability of political parties to be bipartisan in facing a common threat pandemic.
In the case of Individual Attitude, many cling on their Right to Freedom & Liberty and focus purely on their personal interests and life.
Many were insisting to celebrate Spring Break in the beaches and elsewhere despite exhortation by authorities to maintain social distancing.
Many of the theists were claiming they are filled with Jesus blood thus no threat by the Covid19 virus. Even their pastors advised their congregation not to obey the social distancing rules.
Many were protesting the lockdown measures.

B. Political Unity
As for political unity and bipartisan co-operation, it is so obvious this is almost non-existent in the USA. Whatever one party proposed is often met with great resistance by the other.

It is the breakdown of the above requirements that enable the Covid19 to spread exponentially that overwhelmed whatever the health structural barriers.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

U R havin a larf.

US = 1/3 of the TOTAL PLANETS INFECTIONS (and rising at a terrible rate) - how does that equate to their population size?

btw. Europe has over 500 million people.
vegetariantaxidermy

attofishpi wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:36 pm

U R havin a larf.

US = 1/3 of the TOTAL PLANETS INFECTIONS (and rising at a terrible rate) - how does that equate to their population size?

The US has 330 million people. If you look at deaths per million it's nowhere near the highest. I don't know why China and India are even shown on this chart. Their numbers are ridiculous. Russia's seem pretty dodgy too.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:45 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:36 pm
Arising_uk wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:22 am But America is doing quite well so far given their comparative population size?
U R havin a larf.

The US has 330 million people. If you look at deaths per million it's nowhere near the highest. I don't know why China and India are even shown on this chart. Their numbers are ridiculous. Russia's seem pretty dodgy too.
Well, blow my socks off - I was pretty certain we are talking about infection rates?