Lockdown Protestors

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: Age

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:36 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:33 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:37 pm
You would not ask that if you knew the kind of post she makes to me.

The fact is the the virus can kill people of any age regardless of geography and health.
"Where she lives"; could be defined as anything from planet earth to her house. Well fine I accept that she might not have seen a person die in her house of corona with no underlying conditions, but lets be reasonable about this.
The death toll is increasing every day, despite the lockdown, without let up, except in China (thought she thinks that is a lie), and is not showing any signs of slowing down. The number of deaths where no underlying condition is present is clear, and what goes as "underlying condition" can be a very simple thing such as mild diabetes, or asthma.
I see. My apologies. She gives me a difficult time sometimes too but I've mostly gotten used to it and have since learned to mostly tune out the rough parts.

As far as the virus, I agree it is scary. I think some people aren't being quite as understanding toward those more vulnerable to the disease, however, I can also understand their desire to get society back to normal. Either way, with or without shutting down economic activity, people are going to be hurting.
What the fuck are you apologising for? What I said was TRUE you spineless twit! GROW SOME!
Just trying to maintain some semblance of civility. I'm tired of arguing with people. It really doesn't appear to get anywhere. No one ever seems to change their mind about anything. What's the point?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:49 pm

I see. My apologies. She gives me a difficult time sometimes too but I've mostly gotten used to it and have since learned to mostly tune out the rough parts.

As far as the virus, I agree it is scary. I think some people aren't being quite as understanding toward those more vulnerable to the disease, however, I can also understand their desire to get society back to normal. Either way, with or without shutting down economic activity, people are going to be hurting.
What the fuck are you apologising for? What I said was TRUE you spineless twit! GROW SOME!
Just trying to maintain some semblance of civility. I'm tired of arguing with people. It really doesn't appear to get anywhere. No one ever seems to change their mind about anything. What's the point?
Pathetic. Doesn't mean you have to apoligise to the prik for seeing that what I said was true. You should have just shut up then if you were too 'intimidated' by him to stand your ground.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:50 pm

Pathetic. Doesn't mean you have to apoligise to the prik for seeing that what I said was true. You should have just shut up then if you were too 'intimidated' by him to stand your ground.
I felt like saying something, so I did. It gets boring just keeping to myself. What is being accomplished with all the back and forth?
vegetariantaxidermy

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:54 pm

I felt like saying something, so I did. It gets boring just keeping to myself. What is being accomplished with all the back and forth?
You are truly pathetic. And I 'felt like say that'.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:02 am

OK. Water off my back.
vegetariantaxidermy

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:05 am

OK. Water off my back.
Just making an observation. I suppose I shouldn't be too mean to a 50 year old virgin who lives in his parents' basement. Look on the bright side. You could be set to inherit their house soon :D
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:08 am

OK. Water off my back.
Just making an observation. I suppose I shouldn't be too mean to a 50 year old virgin who still lives with his parents.
Thanks.
vegetariantaxidermy

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:13 am

OK. Water off my back.
Just making an observation. I suppose I shouldn't be too mean to a 50 year old virgin who still lives with his parents.
Thanks.
You are welcome. And playing the victim is unbecoming.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:19 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:13 am

Thanks.
You are welcome.
That's all I need to hear.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Lockdown Protestors

Good grief.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:33 am Good grief.
What now?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:12 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:42 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:31 pm

I was just stating facts there. Is anything there not true? Yes, the world has become economically dependent on China. Yes, many more people would die after a collapsed world economy than would from this virus. Unfortunately what is good for the planet is also not good for our present lifestyle. It had to end, but you are probably right. 'Economies' will recover quickly and we will be right back to square one.
You have carefully cherry-picked OUT my comments regarding 'booming economies'. (But I hope you had fun trowling through my comments. I was well aware of all of them). When I say 'drivel on about he economy' I am referring to those 'neo-lib' types like Henry who think an indefinitely growing economy is the be all and end all of everything (without even knowing what 'growing economy' means). You hear them every election year. It seems to me that our country did a lot better BEFORE the concept of a 'booming economy' was even thought of. Better standard of living. Better health care. Better education system.....
So you have explicitly drivelled on about the economy, and now you are resorting to special pleading.
Not my fault you are a moron with no reading comprehension. You 'explicitly' put me in a box with Henry.
You'd love to be in a box with Henry, so you can dissolve him with your saliva and eat him.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:37 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:02 pm

What are you so upset about?
You would not ask that if you knew the kind of post she makes to me.

The fact is the the virus can kill people of any age regardless of geography and health.
"Where she lives"; could be defined as anything from planet earth to her house. Well fine I accept that she might not have seen a person die in her house of corona with no underlying conditions, but lets be reasonable about this.
The death toll is increasing every day, despite the lockdown, without let up, except in China (thought she thinks that is a lie), and is not showing any signs of slowing down. The number of deaths where no underlying condition is present is clear, and what goes as "underlying condition" can be a very simple thing such as mild diabetes, or asthma.

What seems to be happening now amongst the skeptics, is that they are criticising the lockdown based on the low numbers, without recognising that the numbers are low BECAUSE of a successful lockdown.
The other part of their (ahem!) "critique" is that 96% survive whilst amongst the dead only 10% were perfectly healthy. As if these dead and their families were of no consequence.
None of these numbers are relevant without a lockdown, since the availability of care for severe cases would utterly change to massively increase morbidity and lower base survival rates, amongst the perfectly healthy as well as those with minor pre-existing conditions.
vegetariantaxidermy

Sculptor wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:27 am
So you have explicitly drivelled on about the economy, and now you are resorting to special pleading.
Not my fault you are a moron with no reading comprehension. You 'explicitly' put me in a box with Henry.
You'd love to be in a box with Henry, so you can dissolve him with your saliva and eat him.
WTF? Is that what passes as 'wit' in your tiny brain? Are you drunk?
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:27 am
I too would lick Henry all over till he is reduced like a consumed popsicle to nothing but a stick.