Lockdown Protestors

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

VA

Post by henry quirk »

Group (herd) immunity is what we ought to strive for, while protecting the vulnerable.

All we've done with indiscriminate lockdowns is extend the misery.

We've over-reacted, in the extreme.
Veritas Aequitas

Re: Lockdown Protestors

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:47 am
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:59 am I live in Florida and recently talked to a woman who had moved down here from NY to retire. Apparently, she knows several people who have died from the virus including a few cousins up in NY. It seems like Covid 19 is pretty nasty stuff.
Here's some nastiness for you...

From Johns Hopkins...

Seasonal Flu kills as many as 600,000 folks every friggin' year all over the world. In the U.S. alone, as many as 61,000 folks die from Seasonal Flu. That's 61,000 deaths with a sophisticated, inexpensive inoculation program in place.

Maybe I missed it: did we shut down economies for any Seasonal Flu?

Fu ManFlu has killed approximately 179,000 folks worldwide and approximately 46,000 of those deaths happened in the U.S., and -- as my post above illustrates -- those deaths are extremely localized, unlike flu deaths which are more evenly dispersed. We're relyin' on a haphazard, largely honor-system, method of self-isolation to mitigate the beer virus.

We shut down economies for this.

Is Coronavirus nasty and worrisome? Absolutely.

Is it more so than Seasonal Flu? No, not really.
One of the expert was asked the comparison with seasonal flu.
The answer is the seasonal flue is seasonal and despite the large number of death it will disappear when the season is over.

However there is still a lot of uncertainties with the Covid19 virus which is not behaving like past corona viruses.

At present there are cases, where patients are certified to have recovered but got reinfected again, which is not the same as the common flu.

At present we do not a vaccine for Covid19, thus no certainty yet we can control the spread of the Covid19 virus.
It is speculated, even if we get a vaccine, the virus could mutate fast enough to make the vaccine ineffective.

It because of the potential danger of the threat of the Covid19 that we need to have effective Lockdowns. Note the explanation on why the Lockdown strategy is imperative.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:59 am I live in Florida and recently talked to a woman who had moved down here from NY to retire. Apparently, she knows several people who have died from the virus including a few cousins up in NY. It seems like Covid 19 is pretty nasty stuff.

From Johns Hopkins...

Seasonal Flu kills as many as 600,000 folks every friggin' year all over the world. In the U.S. alone, as many as 61,000 folks die from Seasonal Flu. That's 61,000 deaths with a sophisticated, inexpensive inoculation program in place.

Fu ManFlu has killed approximately 179,000 folks worldwide and approximately 46,000 of those deaths happened in the U.S., and -- as my post above illustrates -- those deaths are extremely localized, unlike flu deaths which are more evenly dispersed. We're relyin' on a haphazard, largely honor-system, method of self-isolation to mitigate the beer virus.

How many months in a year when folks have died of a season flu in usa?

How many months has the corona virus been in the usa?

How many folks have died with corona in those many months in a situation where most are forced to isolate and with the travel restrictions imposed compared to the number who die in 12 every year?

Then imagine how many more would die of the corona virus if there folks still flying and travelling around and going about there normal lives, just in the couple of months this virus has been in the usa, and then times that up to 12 months, and then add the exponential rate of of growth on top of that.

So, sure the seasonal flu has killed more so far, but compare the differences.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

just in the couple of months this virus has been in the usa

Research out of Stanford University, and antibody testing in California, indicate two things...

1-beer virus has been in the U.S. a lot longer than assumed, perhaps since December or November of last year.

2-a far greater number of folks were and are infected, but are asymptomatic.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

From Johns Hopkins...

HQ, I would wait until we’ve reached the peak before comparing Influenza & COVID numbers. If I’ve read the numbers above correctly, 60K Americans die of flu in a year and 46K have died of COVID thus far.

It may work out that the flu is more lethal, but I would humbly advise waiting before making that call. We can’t be sure that COVID’s graph will not be a bell shaped curve. In that case we would be at the halfway point when we peak.

If so, COVID deaths could double before we’re done.

I’m just saying, not for nothin’...

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:28 pm just in the couple of months this virus has been in the usa

Research out of Stanford University, and antibody testing in California, indicate two things...

1-beer virus has been in the U.S. a lot longer than assumed, perhaps since December or November of last year.
Okay, if the corona virus has been in the usa for whatever months it actually has been, then you can still do the maths.
henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:28 pm2-a far greater number of folks were and are infected, but are asymptomatic.
So, what?

Do the maths and work out, or just magine, how many more would have died if human beings were allowed to just carry on as they were.

Also, who would you blame if you have close ones near to you and they died and no one had done anything prior to try and prevent their death?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

HQ, I would wait until we’ve reached the peak before comparing Influenza & COVID numbers.

As I've said, the numbers, and the comparison, are Johns Hopkins, not mine..

Take it up with them.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Do the maths and work out, or just magine, how many more would have died if human beings were allowed to just carry on as they were.

Workin' the numbers is all I'm doin'.

If beer virus has been in the U.S. since Dec. or Nov. of last year; if more folks than assumed were or are infected and are asymptomatic, then the mortality rate we all piss ourselves over is lower than thought.

Couple this lower mortality rate with...

New York pads their beer virus death count (Joe dies of heart attack in-hospital, Joe is counted as a beer virus victim).

...and beer virus may be milder than even I think.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

we would be at the halfway point when we peak.

Which halfway point?

New York may not have reached its midpoint; California may have passed its midpoint some time back.

Within my own state: Orleans Parish may have not reached its midpoint; Acadia Parish may be well past its midpoint.
Impenitent

Heard immunity

Post by Impenitent »

"These go to eleven" - Nigel Tufnel

-Imp
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

commonsense wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:47 pm

HQ, I would wait until we’ve reached the peak before comparing Influenza & COVID numbers. If I’ve read the numbers above correctly, 60K Americans die of flu in a year and 46K have died of COVID thus far.

It may work out that the flu is more lethal, but I would humbly advise waiting before making that call. We can’t be sure that COVID’s graph will not be a bell shaped curve. In that case we would be at the halfway point when we peak.

COVID deaths could double before we’re done.
JH’s numbers. Your conclusion (that Coronavirus is not more worrisome and nasty than Seasonal Flu).

So, maybe 60K from flu and 92K from COVID. That would change the answer to your second question.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:47 pm we would be at the halfway point when we peak.

Which halfway point?

New York may not have reached its midpoint; California may have passed its midpoint some time back.

Within my own state: Orleans Parish may have not reached its midpoint; Acadia Parish may be well past its midpoint.

The halfway point referenced above could be for total cases, new cases by day, total hospitalizations, new admissions on a day, total deaths or deaths one day.

The numbers you quoted earlier were for the US. That would mean the halfway point for the US is being cited and would be on the apex, or peak, of a bell shaped curve.

Not every state has reached its peak, so not every state has reached its halfway point. If not every state has reached its halfway point, then the country as a whole has not reached its halfway point.

It could just as well have referred to the halfway point for a state, county or parish if you had supplied those numbers from Hopkins.

Which halfway point could be any of the data for any area over any amount of time.
commonsense

Re: Heard immunity

Post by commonsense »

Impenitent wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:18 pm "These go to eleven" - Nigel Tufnel

-Imp
Got it, except does “These” mean something in particular?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
I've read that if we just save one person from death it is worth sacrificing liberty and and freedom. I've read others who still value American ideals who say that sacrificing American lives as in war is the cost of freedom. Is freedom worth it? Those days are over. Now just surrender to the Federal government and pray they will protect you and offer you safety.. Heh, heh, heh, foolish child.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Nick_A wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:44 pm
Benjamin Franklin once said: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
I've read that if we just save one person from death it is worth sacrificing liberty and and freedom. I've read others who still value American ideals who say that sacrificing American lives as in war is the cost of freedom. Is freedom worth it? Those days are over. Now just surrender to the Federal government and pray they will protect you and offer you safety.. Heh, heh, heh, foolish child.
It's funny, yanks are the only people on the planet who refer to 'lives' by Nationality (specifically their own). Yanks are the foremost example of 'protesting too loudly' about EVERYTHING. Such phonies.
Apparently rich yank doomsdayers are coming here to expensive underground bunkers that they've set up for just such an eventuality. Perhaps another huge earthquake will bury them alive (and wouldn't that be a crying shame).