Lockdown Protestors

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: Lockdown Protestors

Post by henry quirk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:48 am
FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:14 am
Sculptor wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:27 am

You'd love to be in a box with Henry, so you can dissolve him with your saliva and eat him.
I too would lick Henry all over till he is reduced like a consumed popsicle to nothing but a stick.
I think he would shoot you first.
yep
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

'neo-lib' types like Henry...

Me, a neo-lib?

That's Flash's bailiwick.

...who think an indefinitely growing economy is the be all and end all of everything (without even knowing what 'growing economy' means).

Other than thinkin' havin' one (an economy) is a good thing, and thinkin' one founded on Free Enterprise is the best thing, I don't believe I've spent a whole helluva lot of time preachin' about economies, growin' economies, or boomin' economies, and -- insofar as it relates to any of the beer virus threads -- I've only groused about economies takin' an unnecessary hit.

'course, I could be wrong...if so, I'm sure Flash will, with all the glee of a frilly-pantied school girl, point it out... :thumbsup:
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:18 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:32 pm RIP
Tim Brooke-Taylor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Brooke-Taylor
My favourite Goody. Shame it wasn't your horrible PM instead.
He's not my PM.
Sculptor

Re: Age

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:57 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:31 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:57 pm

No. You seem to have some kind of problem, though. Seriously.
She used to be nice, rational, and even tempered.
Either she's gone off the rails, or her identity has been taken.
It's the Internet. It brings out the worst in all of us, I think.
It is quite likely that she is suffering from over exposure from mood altering substances realted to taxidermy such as trichloethylene, or a zoonotic infection from some road kill.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/nioshtic-2/00175551.html
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 pm 'neo-lib' types like Henry...

Me, a neo-lib?

That's Flash's bailiwick.
Can confirm, you are no neoliberal. Then again, I am apparently a PC Turd so perhaps we should swap? It takes very little to become either anyway.

People of my ilk only use the term neoliberal because it is what certain populists label anybody who uses something so disgraceful as evidence to dismiss their favoured ideas that don't work in practice. We also allow (((globalist))) when the crazy alt-right want to complain about us. We're actually just plain old centreists - which is a term of abuse we accept when Bernie Bros are complaining about us.
henry quirk wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 pm ...who think an indefinitely growing economy is the be all and end all of everything (without even knowing what 'growing economy' means).
Even a neocon would believe that economic growth is a means not an end. And anyone who can't work out how to define economic growth in terms of national income is pretty dense. But it means nothing, Veggie's rants are invariably both shapeless and meaningless expressions of formless frustration, so parsing them for meaning is a waste of effort.
henry quirk wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 pm Other than thinkin' havin' one (an economy) is a good thing, and thinkin' one founded on Free Enterprise is the best thing, I don't believe I've spent a whole helluva lot of time preachin' about economies, growin' economies, or boomin' economies, and -- insofar as it relates to any of the beer virus threads -- I've only groused about economies takin' an unnecessary hit.

'course, I could be wrong...if so, I'm sure Flash will, with all the glee of a frilly-pantied school girl, point it out... :thumbsup:
Nope, your views on matters economic seem to be very atomised, in keeping with your views on other forms of social organisation.Seeing as economics is about distribution of scarce resources within a society, I would have already seized on any incongruity there long ago because I am exactly that sort of dick.

The thing I took issue with was the implication that the lockdown, not the scary and poorly understood disease, was the cause of the economic pain. With that the assumption that embracing the disease and not mitigating would result in better economic numbers (yours and veggies claim I believe) and somehow in less death (her claim, I haven't noticed it from you). And from that, this additional implication that persons at risk of death can be adequately insulated while the rest of society goes about business as usual but with cleaner hands or something.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Protesters are just protecting their right to infect others.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

I was looking at some of the posts on my neighborhood forum today and it looks like there's a bit more unrest building in my neighborhood. Someone quoted Benjamin Franklin on people not deserving liberty nor safety if they give up liberty and there were a few others critical of the shutdown. People are getting cabin fever, I think. Some wouldn't cooperate with the government if their lives depended on it. A successful lockdown is probably the worst thing that could happen. People think it was all for not.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

commonsense wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:10 pm Protesters are just protecting their right to infect others.
But were they concerned about their legitimate rights from the get-go or was their concern something that only dawned on them after enduring financial stress or withstanding inconvenience?

In other words, how attached to their principles were they that they didn’t object to any infringement on their liberty until money or mental and/or physical hardship was involved?