perspective, numbers, facts

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: perspective, numbers, facts: SWPRS July update

Post by commonsense »

RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:54 am Those kinds of facts are anarchistic and atheistic. How can a government function if people are not going to be kept in a permanent paranoid frenzy to be saved by the government?

"Civilization, in fact, grows more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary." [H.L. Mencken, In Defense Of Women]

You must see the covid terror is a gift of God to make people see why they need the government to run their lives. Hallelujah! Amen!
Yes, but I don’t think HQ considers COVID to be a gift from God. After all, it turns us into sheep, just as you imply here. His greatest concern is that government must not tread on anyone, but mainly not on him.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

commonsense wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:17 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:54 am Those kinds of facts are anarchistic and atheistic. How can a government function if people are not going to be kept in a permanent paranoid frenzy to be saved by the government?

"Civilization, in fact, grows more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary." [H.L. Mencken, In Defense Of Women]

You must see the covid terror is a gift of God to make people see why they need the government to run their lives. Hallelujah! Amen!
Yes, but I don’t think HQ considers COVID to be a gift from God. After all, it turns us into sheep, just as you imply here. His greatest concern is that government must not tread on anyone, but mainly not on him.
It was meant satirically, of course, which Henry understood. I don't want the government to tread on anyone either, but those who ask for it, deserve it.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

RCSaunders wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:46 pm

It was meant satirically, of course, which Henry understood. I don't want the government to tread on anyone either, but those who ask for it, deserve it.
yep
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:45 pm

yep
Got it.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:15 pm
henry quirk wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:45 pm
yep
Got it.
no, you don't
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

I don't want the government to tread on anyone either, but those who ask for it, deserve it.
Amen!
RCSaunders

Re: perspective, numbers, facts

Post by RCSaunders »

Stunning! Texas Coronavirus Numbers Show COVID-19 Less Lethal than Last Two Flu Seasons
By Jim Hoft
The Texas Department of Health released numbers recently comparing the coronavirus to the last two seasonal flu viruses.

The coronavirus was actually less lethal than the flu in the state!
The fle had a mortality rate of 0.03% and 0.04%.
The coronavirus has a mortality rate of 0.01% in Texas.
See table at link!
henry quirk

and lookee here...

Post by henry quirk »

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-3 ... 19-results

as I say: we don't have a friggin' clue as to the real (infection, hospitalization, death, and recovery) numbers

too many cooks in the kitchen, too many hands in the pot

incompetence & agenda have screwed the pooch

double counts, deaths with beer virus bein' counted as deaths from beer virus, deaths listed as from beer virus where there's no confirmation of beer virus infection, the likelihood beer virus is far more asymptomatic and widespread than reported, and on and on, all contribute to the notion of Coronapocalype when, really, it's just a nasty cold

as I say: we've been, are bein', hoodwnked
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:56 pm Stunning! Texas Coronavirus Numbers Show COVID-19 Less Lethal than Last Two Flu Seasons
By Jim Hoft
The Texas Department of Health released numbers recently comparing the coronavirus to the last two seasonal flu viruses.

The coronavirus was actually less lethal than the flu in the state!
The fle had a mortality rate of 0.03% and 0.04%.
The coronavirus has a mortality rate of 0.01% in Texas.
See table at link!
I only wish they had told us sooner.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

So how's the seasonal flu analogy going HQ? 140,000 deaths and rising and if the US follows us, which seems likely, you'll be looking at anything from 220/300,000 by the time it starts to fall, although sadly, come winter, you may even catch a possible second wave before that.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:41 pm So how's the seasonal flu analogy going HQ? 140,000 deaths and rising and if the US follows us, which seems likely, you'll be looking at anything from 220/300,000 by the time it starts to fall, although sadly, come winter, you may even catch a possible second wave before that.
you've been gone for a bit

you ought to review this thread & my 2020: not safe for anyone thread

bottomline: if we had an accurate count, we' be lookin' at mebbe 50 or 60 thousand folks actually dead from beer virus

and most of those deaths would still be comin' out of NY (city & state) & Connecticut

beer virus doesn't even rate with the flu: it's just a nasty cold that's been over-estimated and over-reacted to
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Nah! Given you've responded pretty much as we have you're looking at around 200,000 by November by the time it works its way through. Could be less though given your population distribution and density.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:55 pm bottomline: if we had an accurate count, we' be lookin' at mebbe 50 or 60 thousand folks actually dead from beer virus
Lets play a game where you hold all the cards and I still win.

I'll let you have the "miscounting!" crutch - none of corpses in 2020 died from COVID-19. Everybody that died, died from death!

How do you account for the increased number of burials/cremations in 2020?
henry quirk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:55 pm beer virus doesn't even rate with the flu: it's just a nasty cold that's been over-estimated and over-reacted to
The flu doesn't force countries to expand mortuaries, cemeteries and crematoriums.

But, of course, you are right - we are over-reacting. We can just put 5 or 6 corpses in one grave. Problem solved!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

you're looking at around 200,000

Oh, by the time they've squeezed all they can from beer virus, I wouldn't be surprised if the official death count exceeds half a million here in the US.

Official, of course, ain't synonymous with real.

-----

...none of corpses in 2020 died from COVID-19... How do you account for the increased number of burials/cremations in 2020?

For one: beer virus is real and some folks have died from it.

For another: I'd like to see the actual stats on burials/cremations.

The flu doesn't force countries to expand mortuaries, cemeteries and crematoriums.

I'd like to see the actual figures on this expansion. Where? When?

Show me.

If there has been this expansion, mebbe a good chunk of the cause is shit like this...

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07- ... tment.html

...mebbe beer virus wasn't the cause; mebbe the over-reaction was the cause.