Coronavirus Craziness

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 10127
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

more John Hopkins numbers 4-8-20

Post by henry quirk »

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases

*Infections: 1,447,466

*Deaths: 83,471

*Recovered: 308,215

-----

*World Population: 8,000,000,000









*approximate
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 10127
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

again John Hopkins 4-8-20

Post by henry quirk »

Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 1,446,557 cases worldwide; 399,929 cases in the U.S. as of Apr. 8, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 83,149 deaths reported worldwide; 12,911 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 8, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 10774
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: again John Hopkins 4-8-20

Post by Immanuel Can »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:57 pm Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 1,446,557 cases worldwide; 399,929 cases in the U.S. as of Apr. 8, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 83,149 deaths reported worldwide; 12,911 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 8, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.
Another interesting note:

Half of the various Leftie media "sages" are predicting that quarantines will eventually lead to increased domestic abuse and a spike in divorces.

The other half these same loony lefty publications are predicting a baby boom.

So which is it? Does quarantine make people hate each other more, or 'get busy' with each other more? Nobody knows, but everybody is talking as if they do.
commonsense
Posts: 3284
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

Re: Johns Hopkins 4-8-20

Post by commonsense »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:37 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:57 pm Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 1,446,557 cases worldwide; 399,929 cases in the U.S. as of Apr. 8, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 83,149 deaths reported worldwide; 12,911 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 8, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.
Another interesting note:

Half of the various Leftie media "sages" are predicting that quarantines will eventually lead to increased domestic abuse and a spike in divorces.

The other half these same loony lefty publications are predicting a baby boom.

So which is it? Does quarantine make people hate each other more, or 'get busy' with each other more? Nobody knows, but everybody is talking as if they do.
Likely both.
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 4294
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Coronavirus Craziness

Post by Lacewing »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:37 pm Another interesting note:

Half of the various Leftie media "sages" are predicting that quarantines will eventually lead to increased domestic abuse and a spike in divorces.

The other half these same loony lefty publications are predicting a baby boom.

So which is it? Does quarantine make people hate each other more, or 'get busy' with each other more? Nobody knows, but everybody is talking as if they do.
There are varying potentials and varying views. That goes for anyone, regardless of affiliations.

Are you as capable of acknowledging inconsistencies and foolishness of "the loony right"? Or do you only play the game from one side?
FlashDangerpants
Posts: 2692
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: again John Hopkins 4-8-20

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:37 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:57 pm Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 1,446,557 cases worldwide; 399,929 cases in the U.S. as of Apr. 8, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 83,149 deaths reported worldwide; 12,911 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 8, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.
Another interesting note:

Half of the various Leftie media "sages" are predicting that quarantines will eventually lead to increased domestic abuse and a spike in divorces.

The other half these same loony lefty publications are predicting a baby boom.

So which is it? Does quarantine make people hate each other more, or 'get busy' with each other more? Nobody knows, but everybody is talking as if they do.
For somebody with such a notoriously inclusive set of criteria for what constitutes teh formal ad hominem fallacy, that meets your own standards. Therefore, on a legitmate ad hominenm basis, you have broken your own rules and enacted a fallacious ad hominem assault. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28974

It's also quite obviously a false dichotomy as the two outcomes are not mutually exclusive, which is why the term hate-fucking exists.
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 10774
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: again John Hopkins 4-8-20

Post by Immanuel Can »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:14 pm ad hominem fallacy
Nope.

I haven't said "Don't listen to the Lefties because they're Lefties." That would be ad hominem. I've said, "Don't listen to the Lefties, because the Lefties are blatantly contradicting the other Lefties. That's pretty clear.
FlashDangerpants
Posts: 2692
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:54 pm

Re: again John Hopkins 4-8-20

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:46 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:14 pm ad hominem fallacy
Nope.

I haven't said "Don't listen to the Lefties because they're Lefties." That would be ad hominem. I've said, "Don't listen to the Lefties, because the Lefties are blatantly contradicting the other Lefties. That's pretty clear.
I see my mistake. If I had copied your playbook accurately I would only have quoted the bit that said the insult, and then declared THAT ad homimen out of context.

Silly me.
User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 12314
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: again John Hopkins 4-8-20

Post by Arising_uk »

Immanuel Can wrote:
So which is it? Does quarantine make people hate each other more, or 'get busy' with each other more? Nobody knows, but everybody is talking as if they do.
It's obviously both.

Nice to see the Yank keeping his sectarian politics into everything. :roll:

But then again the Trumpette Is their idol. Monkey see monkey do eh!
User avatar
Arising_uk
Posts: 12314
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 am

Re: again John Hopkins 4-8-20

Post by Arising_uk »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:57 pm Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 1,446,557 cases worldwide; 399,929 cases in the U.S. as of Apr. 8, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 83,149 deaths reported worldwide; 12,911 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 8, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.
The comparison with flu is pointless as unless we allow SARS-Cov-2 to run rampant like flu we'll have no idea of whether we should have implemented the measures we have but what government is going to do such a thing given what the virologists model were saying was the probable mortality rate of doing such a thing. I'm not sure what other's governments were saying but ours was quite clear, the measures were instigated to try and slow or even stop the complete failure of our health system.
User avatar
vegetariantaxidermy
Posts: 9562
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 am
Location: Narniabiznus

Re: again John Hopkins 4-8-20

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:49 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:57 pm Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 1,446,557 cases worldwide; 399,929 cases in the U.S. as of Apr. 8, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 83,149 deaths reported worldwide; 12,911 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 8, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.
The comparison with flu is pointless as unless we allow SARS-Cov-2 to run rampant like flu we'll have no idea of whether we should have implemented the measures we have but what government is going to do such a thing given what the virologists model were saying was the probable mortality rate of doing such a thing. I'm not sure what other's governments were saying but ours was quite clear, the measures were instigated to try and slow or even stop the complete failure of our health system.
Correction: the mortality rate of the elderly and immune compromised (and there's no way of telling how long they would have lived otherwise). Even the 'immune-suppressed young' numbers are negligible compared to the old.
Not much chance of our health system failing with 12 people.
Is this really about saving people, or irrational gerontophillia? If not about the latter, then why the constant harping about 'protecting the elderly'? I mean, it's not as if the elderly die all the time or anything :roll: Is it because the elderly control much of the planet's wealth and media? Think Rupert Murdoch.
I'm not even necessarily against the measures taken, I'm just trying to make sense of it, and wondering what would have happened if young children and babies were the primary victims. I have a feeling that yes, schools and pre-schools would have been closed and CHILDREN told to stay home, but would the entire planet have shut down?
I know there are a lot of olds on this forum (being no spring chicken myself). What do YOU think? Hmm?
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 10127
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: again John Hopkins 4-8-20

Post by henry quirk »

Arising_uk wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:49 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:57 pm Infections

COVID-19: Approximately 1,446,557 cases worldwide; 399,929 cases in the U.S. as of Apr. 8, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths

COVID-19: Approximately 83,149 deaths reported worldwide; 12,911 deaths in the U.S., as of Apr. 8, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year.
The comparison with flu is pointless as unless we allow SARS-Cov-2 to run rampant like flu we'll have no idea of whether we should have implemented the measures we have but what government is going to do such a thing given what the virologists model were saying was the probable mortality rate of doing such a thing. I'm not sure what other's governments were saying but ours was quite clear, the measures were instigated to try and slow or even stop the complete failure of our health system.
Take it up with John Hopkins: it's their comparison, not mine.
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 4294
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: Coronavirus Craziness

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:22 pm blah, blah, blah
Henry, stop changing the fucking title. It's useful for reference to identify the actual topic, not some lame idea that's in your head.
User avatar
henry quirk
Posts: 10127
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:07 pm

go pound sand, lace

Post by henry quirk »

Henry, stop changing the fucking title.
User avatar
Immanuel Can
Posts: 10774
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: again John Hopkins 4-8-20

Post by Immanuel Can »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:32 pm Silly me.
Agreed.
Post Reply