Coronavirus Craziness

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: Death

Post by henry quirk »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:44 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:58 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:37 pm
So you are agreeing with my original point that Henry's 0.1% fatality estimate can be tested by just waiting to see when more than 0.1% of the people in a given region are dead of this thing, and therefore it can be falsified without having to wait for an antibody test.

What you are doing is bidding up that death value, from the 0.1% that Henry went with probably because that is the mortality rate of seasonal flu on the whole, into territory five times greater, rather than the ten times greater that some are estimating. At least you, unlike Henry, are actually in the territory where we will need actual studies to determine the true value. But I think you've rather sacrificed the "it's just a flu really" vibe in doing so.
Not my estimate...
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:25 am

I think you would be interested in what this guy has to say Henry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UO3Wd5urg0

He's interviewed here as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhjzBcP61qA

He mentions that Fauci guy.

They will only know the true mortality rate when they have tested a very large cross-section of the population for antibodies since there are probably a lot people who have had it without knowing it. I'm guessing at .1 percent, but it's just a guess, like everyone else is doing-- including the 'experts'.
...and the numbers I use, the comparisons I post come from the ass of Johns Hopkins, without revision.

And: I got no clue what my imaginary climate science is.

Anyway: from now on, I think I'll just keep my thinkin' to myself when it comes to all things virus.
Oops, my bad. The way you quote people by just pasting teir text tends to make it hard to tell sometimes when you are quoting, so, whoops.

Your own words were less than the flu, and infitesimal, no?
So the Flu kills at a rate of 0.1%. So .... not much take-backsey required tbh, but consider it taken back.
No worries. I'm done anyway. Carry on.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Arising_uk wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:32 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:... One thing is certain though; if the world economy implodes and millions of people lose their jobs, homes and businesses, then there will be a lot more dying than we are seeing now. ...
Bit puzzled here as I thought you heartily disliked the idea of a globalised 'world economy'?
This is what is so annoying about most people. What difference does it make what I supposedly 'dislike'? (Although I'm pretty sure I've never discussed a 'global economy'). Perhaps I should have said 'world's economies'? Either way, they are all connected (mostly to China), and either way its not looking good.
Lacewing

Re: Coronavirus Craziness

Post by Lacewing »

Seeing so much hardship from this pandemic makes me cry. Thinking about lives just snuffed out (seeing the faces and hearing the stories) is heartbreaking. Then I feel a greater commitment to living each day with ever more gratitude. We're still here! I'm still here -- what more might I be able to do/experience due to that? Death inspires me to live with even more gusto...in honor of those who no longer can.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
This is what is so annoying about most people. What difference does it make what I supposedly 'dislike'? (Although I'm pretty sure I've never discussed a 'global economy'). Perhaps I should have said 'world's economies'? Either way, they are all connected (mostly to China), and either way its not looking good.
I'd have thought 'globalization' and a 'global economy' goes with the neo-liberal agenda in your book?
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:02 am
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
I'd have thought 'globalization' and a 'global economy' goes with the neo-liberal agenda in your book?
It might be a better world. Who knows? I don't claim to know. Obviously every country has its own economy, but they are all so closely internconnected that they they all tend to collapse at the same time.
attofishpi

WHO needs to go.

Post by attofishpi »

WHO needs to go.

1. They have endorsed the China wet-markets to re-open.
2. They don't recognise Taiwan as a sovereign state, and so did not listen to Taiwan when they called out this Virus - which should be called the CCP Virus (China Communist Party Virus) - WHO ignored Taiwan since last year.
3. China has them in their pocket - OBVIOUSLY - they are yet another organisation COMPROMISED by $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

IF China are going to continue to allow these 'wet markets' -- then the rest of the world should ban ALL travel two-from China ongoing into the future.
vegetariantaxidermy

WHO is part of the UN. Self-serving wankers. Enough said.
vegetariantaxidermy

Arising_uk wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:56 am Not sure how it is in the rest of the world but in the UK we are only counting those dying in hospital who test positive and not those at home or in care homes so we think there is large under-reporting going on.
All of those who have died here have been elderly, and the majority of those VERY elderly (in their nineties with, surprise, 'underlying conditions) in care homes. Frankly I think it's ridiculous to even include those.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

the fact that he fell from the roof of a 30 story building aside, he died from coronavirus...

has the sky landed yet?

-Imp
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Impenitent wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:57 pm the fact that he fell from the roof of a 30 story building aside, he died from coronavirus...

has the sky landed yet?

-Imp
C now I would have found that funny - if you had at least implied that 'he' fell from the roof sneezing his fucking head off..

The sky will refloat after the 'church' of scientology removes the crucifix symbology from their fucking ramparts.

WE AIN'T ASKING FOR MUCH. :twisted: THE NEXT EQUINOX IS LOOMING.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

what do you do when equinox?

fix the doorbell...

-Imp
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Impenitent wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:52 pm what do you do when equinox?

fix the doorbell...

-Imp
Dunno - got nuffin to do wiv me. I is still just a pawn - but if there is a doorbell that needs fixin - it's gonna blow a century of heather from the prairies.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

attofishpi wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:08 pm

fix the doorbell...

-Imp
Dunno - got nuffin to do wiv me. I is still just a pawn - but if there is a doorbell that needs fixin - it's gonna blow a century of heather from the prairies.
And we are pawns on the chessboard of Coronavirus. You can choose for yourself to whom the other pieces pertain.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

commonsense wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:41 pm
attofishpi wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:08 pm

fix the doorbell...

-Imp
And we are pawns on the chessboard of Coronavirus. You can choose for yourself to whom the other pieces pertain.
Mmm. The board and all the kings men R already owned. I know that much.

..in fact, if I was to go a step further...the game remains - ENTROPY.
Last edited by attofishpi on Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

!