Coronavirus Craziness

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Coronavirus Craziness

Post by Gary Childress »

Stores here have been packed for the past few days with people shopping for supplies. Toilet paper is apparently in high demand and is hard to come by. Hand sanitizer and paper towels also. I wonder how long this is going to go on and if the disease will go away when the weather warms up. My biggest worry is my parents who are in their 80s and dad is not in the greatest health. I'm hoping this passes us by without incident.

Best wishes to all the people posting on Philosophy Now. I hope everyone here is doing OK with all the craziness going on.
uwot

Re: Coronavirus Craziness

Post by uwot »

Thanks for that and yeah, hold onto your hats everyone. London is much the same. Got the family coming for a roast and my daughter urged doing the shopping early. Good job too. The shelves were clearing fast and the queues were bonkers. On the other hand, the pub is quiet. Cheers!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Much ado 'bout nuthin'...by the end of April: not a one will be talkin' about the Wu-Flu ('cept to make hay).
uwot

Post by uwot »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:40 pmMuch ado 'bout nuthin'...by the end of April: not a one will be talkin' about the Wu-Flu ('cept to make hay).
We'll see, but the data from the southern hemisphere, where it is summer, doesn't suggest April is going to kill this thing.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

uwot wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:00 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:40 pmMuch ado 'bout nuthin'...by the end of April: not a one will be talkin' about the Wu-Flu ('cept to make hay).
We'll see, but the data from the southern hemisphere, where it is summer, doesn't suggest April is going to kill this thing.
We shall see.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

While we wait & see, what’s the harm in calmly taking precaution?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

commonsense wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:06 pm While we wait & see, what’s the harm in calmly taking precaution?
Because it's the hysteria that will destroy businesses and economies, create shortages, and generally cock things up for everyone. If everyone just bought toilet paper as they normally do then we wouldn't have this sort of thing happening (typical feral Aussies :lol: ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL3-rlcWCu0
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:06 pm While we wait & see, what’s the harm in calmly taking precaution?
Nuthin' at all. Me, I was already a handwasher and stand-offish type, so it ain't no big thing for me.

Consider, though: gettin' into fist fights over toilet paper doesn't exactly rate as calm. Demandin' testing kits magically appear yesterday is not a calm response. Shittin' one's self over carona while ignorin' much more serious seasonal flu is not calm. Closin' schools (for a month, for Crom's sake) when young folks are least likely to get and be affected by the virus is not a calm precaution.

There's a hysteria eatin' away at folks, fueled mostly by the propagandists in the journalism industry.
vegetariantaxidermy

Actually covid-19 has around 20 times the mortality rate of seasonal influenza.

Face it. Everyone's going to get it sooner or later so there's really no point in hiding away from it. Just practice good hygiene with handwashing etc. as all humans should do anyway. And men, stop fucking spitting in the street! What is it with that?
vegetariantaxidermy

If even Saint Tom Hanks can get it......
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:49 pm
Nuthin' at all. Me, I was already a handwasher and stand-offish type, so it ain't no big thing for me.

Consider, though: gettin' into fist fights over toilet paper doesn't exactly rate as calm. Demandin' testing kits magically appear yesterday is not a calm response. Shittin' one's self over carona while ignorin' much more serious seasonal flu is not calm. Closin' schools (for a month, for Crom's sake) when young folks are least likely to get and be affected by the virus is not a calm precaution.

There's a hysteria eatin' away at folks, fueled mostly by the propagandists in the journalism industry.
Amen, brother.
vegetariantaxidermy

'I don't have a pandemic' 'I coughed inside my mouth'

Gotta love those Aussies :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jTLcFZ-0QU
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:53 pm Actually covid-19 has around 20 times the mortality rate of seasonal influenza.
Some medical folks are sayin' it's way too early to pin down the morality rate, and it seems to express itself in a much more narrow portion of the population than the flu.
vegetariantaxidermy

henry quirk wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:21 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:53 pm Actually covid-19 has around 20 times the mortality rate of seasonal influenza.
Some medical folks are sayin' it's way too early to pin down the morality rate, and it seems to express itself in a much more narrow portion of the population than the flu.
If it's only old farts then I'm fine with that. It's the pneumonia part that's scary. Horrible to barely be able to breathe.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:43 pm Stores here have been packed for the past few days with people shopping for supplies. Toilet paper is apparently in high demand and is hard to come by. Hand sanitizer and paper towels also. I wonder how long this is going to go on and if the disease will go away when the weather warms up. My biggest worry is my parents who are in their 80s and dad is not in the greatest health. I'm hoping this passes us by without incident.
Why is this your biggest worry?

Are you worried that they could die?

Were you expecting them to live forever?
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:43 pmBest wishes to all the people posting on Philosophy Now. I hope everyone here is doing OK with all the craziness going on.
To me, craziness is 'worrying' about only one of the countless viruses, which may or may not exist or may or may not come to exist.

Why is just one virus the biggest worry you have, especially considering the chances that they will die anyway from some other thing, which is probably countless times higher?

Could part of the reason be just because this one virus is on the so called "news", and people on social media outlets are talking it?