Scary Virus

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

promethean75
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:29 pm

Re: Scary Virus

Post by promethean75 »

5yh29i.jpg
5yh29i.jpg (36.02 KiB) Viewed 533 times
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 4603
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Scary Virus

Post by Sculptor »

There are continuing issues with Long Covid, and that is not over yet.
Typically this Forum prefers to decsend into a rant attacking "The Chinese".
I suppose we shall never know the exact origin of COVID 19 except to say that it started in Wuhan.

I wonder if it is still worth blaming the USA for the certian origin of what was falsely called "Spanish Flu" which killed a minimum of 50 million.
It amuses me that the usual ranters peeked to early in deciding to claim that covid was a hoax when they could have had far more fun attacking China as a bioterrorist - obviously a complete lack of foresight. Still they have all the fun with claiming the vaccine has government chips in it, or that it makes you magnetic.

That aside long covid is going to place pressure of health services.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 4603
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Scary Virus

Post by Sculptor »

A friends's Great uncle Mel stationed at Camp Funston in Kansas, used to say that the soldiers stationed there had the chicken fucking contest where the aim was to break the egg inside the chicken with your dick.
So starved of female company the boys trainer for military service in Europe found ways to entertain themselves.
Troop ships carried the resultant bird flu with them to Europe.
But then you can't trust Americans
Iwannaplato
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Scary Virus

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:56 pm There are continuing issues with Long Covid, and that is not over yet.
Typically this Forum prefers to decsend into a rant attacking "The Chinese".
I suppose we shall never know the exact origin of COVID 19 except to say that it started in Wuhan.
Yes, it's too bad Fauci and the factcheckers ruled out the possibility that it was from the leak (on no grounds whatsover except possible embarrassment for the former given his collaboration with the lab). So, all investigations were squelched until much later. Any information was marginalized or censored on the internet. Anything that got through was factchecked by non-experts and seemed like dead ends. So, perhaps we should just throw up our hands now, but we can assign blame to the supposedly rational factcheckers and Fauci for closing doors on an early investigation which has some good grounds (includeing state department concerns about poor safety measures at the lab) to investigate.

If it is assumed now that I think I know the source of Covid, I do not think I know.

I do think however that some highly politically and financially motivated players are presenting themselves as rational rather than otherwise motivated.

And this is creating a lot of fog in what should not be a war.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 4603
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Scary Virus

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:56 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:56 pm There are continuing issues with Long Covid, and that is not over yet.
Typically this Forum prefers to decsend into a rant attacking "The Chinese".
I suppose we shall never know the exact origin of COVID 19 except to say that it started in Wuhan.
Yes, it's too bad Fauci and the factcheckers ruled out the possibility that it was from the leak (on no grounds whatsover except possible embarrassment for the former given his collaboration with the lab).
He did not rule it out.
So, all investigations were squelched until much later. Any information was marginalized or censored on the internet. Anything that got through was factchecked by non-experts and seemed like dead ends. So, perhaps we should just throw up our hands now, but we can assign blame to the supposedly rational factcheckers and Fauci for closing doors on an early investigation which has some good grounds (includeing state department concerns about poor safety measures at the lab) to investigate.

If it is assumed now that I think I know the source of Covid, I do not think I know.

I do think however that some highly politically and financially motivated players are presenting themselves as rational rather than otherwise motivated.

And this is creating a lot of fog in what should not be a war.
IF there was a problem with your government then the buck stops with TRUMP.

Keep wearing your tin hat.
Iwannaplato
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:55 pm

Re: Scary Virus

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:03 pm He did not rule it out.
Let's assume that's correct for a moment. Then why were people who suggested it might be a lab leak labelled conspiracy theorists, had their videos and even platforms removed from facebook, youtube, etc? Why did he not do what he did much later when it is much harder to do which was to send an investigative team? Why did he keep silent about emails from Anderson stating that he and other scientists considered it possible the virus was engineered and not consistant with a natural virus. That information could have justified an investigation which he did not do until much later. And, again, he had motive to downplay the possibility. Motive does not equal guilt, however, he should have recused himself from the discussion and aný decisions. SEcond, as with many on both sides of this issue, Fauci conflates, conveniently for him, lab leaked with engineered. The Wuhan lab was working on corona viruses found in bats, that is viruses of the same category as Covid19. Just because his people later decided (whether from pressure or not we do not know) that it was not engineered, there was still a chance that a natural virus leaked from the lab.

Now, did he rule it out. In any practical sense he did. He did not take serious questions that scientists had seriously about a possibility that the virus was leaked and or engineered. He withheld information about other scientists concerns and claims.
https://nypost.com/2021/06/04/chinese-v ... ak-claims/
https://news.yahoo.com/fauci-whitewashe ... 20312.html
You can also follow the administrative actions - note, all claims are linked to in the article - by Fauci's committee. So, while Fauci never used the words 'rule out' he and his team set about using all sorts of propaganda means to marginalize and rule out any serious consideration of the leak idea.
https://childrenshealthdefense.org/defe ... ak-theory/

For anyone else reading, the king of the ad hom will likely focus on the person writing that article, rather than the information that is linked to. This is because Sculptor lacks the ability or the motivation to be a rational participant. He conflates being right with reasoning and the statement of what he considers fact is conflated with philosophy or being rational.

IF there was a problem with your government then the buck stops with TRUMP.
I am not American and I have always disliked Trump. Do you really think things like this are arguments?

You are one of the least skilled posters here apart from being an ass. You conflate statements with arguments. And you seem to think things like...
Keep wearing your tin hat.
belong in a philosophy forum.

This is how your behavior comes off. It seems like you are unsure of your abilities to reason, but very confident you know the truth. So, you make a lot of statements with certainty. And rarely mount an argument. You insult people, which derails discussions, and this also creates some fog over your lack of ability in reasoning. You assume a lot about other people, because then you can be dismissive, even if this makes you look even less rational to anyone who doesn't just fall for your muck.

So, yes, we all know you can now respond and seem utterly confident and dismissive of any criticism.
But, nudge nudge, wink wink. You're pretty transparent and you'll only be playing to the gallery of yourself.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 4603
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Scary Virus

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:53 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:03 pm He did not rule it out.
Let's assume that's correct for a moment. Then why were people who suggested it might be a lab leak labelled conspiracy theorists, had their videos and even platforms removed from facebook, youtube, etc?
Where is your evidence? What has that got to do with Fauci?
Why did he not do what he did much later when it is much harder to do which was to send an investigative team?
Last time I looked Trump was president, not Fauci. I seem to remember Trump sacking him. Maybe if Trump had not been such a dick head things would have been different?
Why did he keep silent about emails from Anderson stating that he and other scientists considered it possible the virus was engineered and not consistant with a natural virus.
Says who?
That fact is that scientists are pretty clear that the virus is natural. And in the time since the first aoutbreak the virus has continued to mutate in ways that natural viruses mutate. It's histology and pathology is fully consistent with natural viruses.
That information could have justified an investigation which he did not do until much later. And, again, he had motive to downplay the possibility. Motive does not equal guilt, however, he should have recused himself from the discussion and aný decisions. SEcond, as with many on both sides of this issue, Fauci conflates, conveniently for him, lab leaked with engineered. The Wuhan lab was working on corona viruses found in bats, that is viruses of the same category as Covid19. Just because his people later decided (whether from pressure or not we do not know) that it was not engineered, there was still a chance that a natural virus leaked from the lab.
Even if anything you say is true. Why would Fauci protect the CHinese in this way? And what is the evidence for your answer?

Now, did he rule it out.
At no time.
His job was actually to deal with the pandemic - not fuck about pointing the finger of blame.
It is the President's job to do that. Maybe if Trump had not been such a stupid **** alienating the CHinese government they might have been more open about it.
But since Trump accused them with zero evidence that was a very bad place to start. Trump seriously mishandled the whole thing.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 4603
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Scary Virus

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato has just followed the Fox News trope.
Fauci actually did something about the pandemic. Trump did not like him because Trump is an idiot and does not like people who know more than he does.
It was Fauci's job to assess the impact of the virus on the American people and society and suggest remedies to mitigate the spread of the virus. He was continually in the habit of speaking about the SCIENCE, and this got him into conflict with the rightard media and Trump who thought they knew better.
Fox have tried again and again to traduce and defame Fauci, because he was on the Trump hit list.

Iwanntplato is nothing more that a mouthpiece for this idiocy.
And sending me snidely little PMs does not help his case.

What did Fauci contribute to our understanding of the pandemic. - The benefit of a lifetime's experience and study in his field.

What did Trump contribute? Insults to China. and advised people to inject disinfectant. And threatened to sack Fauci, just like Trump sacked EVERYONE he could who might have disagreed with him.

Is the Virus natural or man made.
Scientists generally agree it is natural.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01529-3
promethean75
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:29 pm

Re: Scary Virus

Post by promethean75 »

Sculp please go remind Gloominary of this. It seems he's done a bit of selective reading.

"FDA requires healthcare providers to report any death after COVID-19 vaccination to VAERS, even if it’s unclear whether the vaccine was the cause. Reports of adverse events to VAERS following vaccination, including deaths, do not necessarily mean that a vaccine caused a health problem."

Disclaimer: I personally will never get a vaccine for covid or any of its variants. However, I encourage as many other people as possible to get vaxxed so that they lessen the chance of giving me the shit. The people are my guinea pigs.

Don't tell Gloominary that part, tho.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 4603
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Scary Virus

Post by Sculptor »

promethean75 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:34 pm Sculp please go remind Gloominary of this. It seems he's done a bit of selective reading.

"FDA requires healthcare providers to report any death after COVID-19 vaccination to VAERS, even if it’s unclear whether the vaccine was the cause. Reports of adverse events to VAERS following vaccination, including deaths, do not necessarily mean that a vaccine caused a health problem."

Disclaimer: I personally will never get a vaccine for covid or any of its variants. However, I encourage as many other people as possible to get vaxxed so that they lessen the chance of giving me the shit. The people are my guinea pigs.

Don't tell Gloominary that part, tho.
Some people won't listen others dont give a shit.
Walker
Posts: 9503
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Scary Virus

Post by Walker »

Image
Dontaskme
Posts: 11762
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: Scary Virus

Post by Dontaskme »

Image


Are you enjoying watching and playing the game of Risk - the game you created.

Risk is always going to be scary to the scare addicts of shits and giggles. :lol: Viruses are biological entities that just love to shit on themselves. Time to buy some new underwear. 8)

Image
Age
Posts: 9570
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:17 am

Re: Scary Virus

Post by Age »

Walker wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:54 am Image
I thought 'omicron' was just a name given to a virus variant of the corona virus disease -19. I did NOT know 'omicron' is just a dog "in reality".

Maybe I, and "others", should be reading more from "patriotpost.us", for "objective and uncensored truths", "like this one here is".

Talk about a GREAT EXAMPLE of an 'oxymoron'.

Also, we could add another 'caption', 'For Truly objective and uncensored Truth', 'this is how 'patriotpost.us' portrays the media'.

By the way, I hope the irony is not lost in the Fact that 'patriotpost.us' is just ANOTHER 'media outlet', which provides its OWN subjective, censored, and biased LIES. As can be CLEARLY SEEN here and PROVED True.

Since WHEN has a dog been a covid-19 virus variant?

And, let us NOT FORGET 'patriotpost.us' is ALSO 'the media'.

Now, how is 'this' for Truly objective and uncensored, IRREFUTABLE, Truth?
Dontaskme
Posts: 11762
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:07 pm

Re: Scary Virus

Post by Dontaskme »

Age wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:25 amTalk about a GREAT EXAMPLE of an 'oxymoron'.
Okay, I will.

O = zero

X = marks the spot of zero = Y = moron

moron = Z

and Z = zombie

Welcome to the zombie jamboree, apocalypse NOW


Apocalypse NOW = the never ending or beginning that is the battle between non-existence verses Existence.
Walker
Posts: 9503
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am

Re: Scary Virus

Post by Walker »

Age wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:25 am
I thought 'omicron' was just a name given to a virus variant of the corona virus disease -19. I did NOT know 'omicron' is just a dog "in reality".
:lol:

*

To be clear, this meme is not intended to be “scary” because of pancakes, but rather, because it depicts a scary action. However, this does not rule out the possibility, nay, the probability that somewhere in the world there is someone who will see the meme as scary because of pancakes, or scary because of IHOP. Perhaps these frightened folks had a bad experience with either or both, perhaps at the same time, and now see scary because of that old association.

Image
Post Reply