Healthcare Workers should be Fired

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RCSaunders

Re: Healthcare Workers should be Fired

Post by RCSaunders »

Belinda wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:17 am Vaccination makes the disease very much less severe, ...
There is absolutely no way you could possibly know that, even if it were true. Thousands of people have had covid and no vaccination with almost no symptoms at all.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:33 pm
Belinda wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:17 am Vaccination makes the disease very much less severe, ...
There is absolutely no way you could possibly know that, even if it were true. Thousands of people have had covid and no vaccination with almost no symptoms at all.
👍
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Unvaccinated are a danger to others .

There's a growin' body of evidence sayin' that ain't the case.

But, let's say you're right: the unjabbed are a danger.

How do propose to deal with that danger?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:09 am
henry quirk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:22 am I know common is all for mandated jabs, but I might have missed, or seem to have missed, or mebbe I just forgot, your takes, Lace, veg.

Do either of you support gov/employer mandates?
*No, I don't support it... but I realize that it's a very tricky situation when people are working around people who may need extra protection. I also don't support drug testing (even though I don't do drugs)... and I don't support seatbelts or airbags that blow up in your face... and I don't support much of what the American government does... and I'm especially pissed off at the IRS today... so don't get me started!
*👍
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:36 am
henry quirk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:22 am I know common is all for mandated jabs, but I might have missed, or seem to have missed, or mebbe I just forgot, your takes, Lace, veg.

At this time I'm neutral, because surely if the vaccine works then the unvaccinated are no danger to anyone but themselves?
What might move you to support or oppose mandates?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:57 pm Unvaccinated are a danger to others .

I get my groceries and parcels delivered by drivers who keep their distance and stay outside the front door. I wear a good quality mask if I go among people. I try to stay healthy not to be a burden on the NHS and family. Vaccination is a marvel and a great benefit but it's not a magic bullet.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:55 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:57 pm Unvaccinated are a danger to others .

I get my groceries and parcels delivered by drivers who keep their distance and stay outside the front door. I wear a good quality mask if I go among people. I try to stay healthy not to be a burden on the NHS and family. Vaccination is a marvel and a great benefit but it's not a magic bullet.
So, you don't, like some, believe the unjabbed ought to be curbed. Instead: you tend to yourself as you can: do I have it right?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:03 pm
Belinda wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:55 pm

So, you don't, like some, believe the unjabbed ought to be curbed. Instead: you tend to yourself as you can: do I have it right?
Oh yes! I do believe it would be great if everybody could and would take responsibility for their own actions. But in some situations such as war, martial law, or dangerous epidemics it may be necessary for the common good for the non-compliant to be forced.This is a tricky strategy because most people are not disciplined as are soldiers or priests automatically to obey orders, but on the contrary can be stroppy, and who can blame them?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:13 pm (I)n some situations such as war, martial law, or dangerous epidemics it may be necessary for the common good for the non-compliant to be forced.
Oh, well...no Free Man 🌟 of Honor for you, then.

No, you get bupkis.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:59 pm
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:36 am

At this time I'm neutral, because surely if the vaccine works then the unvaccinated are no danger to anyone but themselves?
What might move you to support or oppose mandates?
It should be 'no vaccine, no hospital care for covid'. That's fair and logical isn't it? Of course that will never happen and the morons will continue to clog up emergeny rooms. Personally I think it's great that all the morons are refusing to get vaccinated, but unfortunately they are causing inconvenience to others with their self-indulgent crap.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

It should be 'no vaccine, no hospital care for covid'. That's fair and logical isn't it?

Okay. I propose...

If obese: no hospital care for heart attacks, the effects of diabetes, etc.

If an addict: no hospital care for overdoses.

There are others, but you get the idea.

There's precedent for your idea (and mine): chronic alcoholics are denied liver transplants.

We could make it a general rule: if you hurt yourself (or do sumthin' we think will hurt you): no medical treatment for you.

Even better: if you refuse any medically proscribed treatment you forfeit all hospital care for anything at all.

Yep, that's the one...keep all them unruly types in line.

Of course that will never happen and the morons will continue to clog up emergeny rooms. Personally I think it's great that all the morons are refusing to get vaccinated, but unfortunately they are causing inconvenience to others with their self-indulgent crap.

You understand it's the jabbed, the vaccinated, cloggin' ICUs, yeah?

We could, I guess, throw links at one another: yours showin' the unvaccinated are a plague; mine showin' the opposite. But I'm thinkin' that wouldn't profit ether of us.

I've sworn off memes (they accomplish little of what I want) but I'll make an exception just this once (cuz mebbe someone seein' it will be curious enough to follow up on it)...
39ED9CBD-46BB-4FF2-A03D-3B3D01E3CECA.png
39ED9CBD-46BB-4FF2-A03D-3B3D01E3CECA.png (92.35 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:29 pm no medical treatment for you.
:lol: :lol:

Okay, I can appreciate some of the logic that you and VT are proposing.

So, let's go further...

Why do we make allowances for, and support, insane people?

What about the extensive damage caused by very stupid people?

Must all be responsible for themselves, and prevented from being a threat, whether or not they have a sound mind?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

Lacewing wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:33 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:29 pm no medical treatment for you.
:lol: :lol:

Okay, I can appreciate some of the logic that you and VT are proposing.

So, let's go further...

Why do we make allowances for, and support, insane people?

What about the extensive damage caused by very stupid people?

Must all be responsible for themselves, and prevented from being a threat, whether or not they have a sound mind?
history never repeats

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/na ... y-disabled

-Imp
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:29 pm It should be 'no vaccine, no hospital care for covid'. That's fair and logical isn't it?

Okay. I propose...

If obese: no hospital care for heart attacks, the effects of diabetes, etc.

If an addict: no hospital care for overdoses.

There are others, but you get the idea.

There's precedent for your idea (and mine): chronic alcoholics are denied liver transplants.

We could make it a general rule: if you hurt yourself (or do sumthin' we think will hurt you): no medical treatment for you.

Even better: if you refuse any medically proscribed treatment you forfeit all hospital care for anything at all.

Yep, that's the one...keep all them unruly types in line.

Of course that will never happen and the morons will continue to clog up emergeny rooms. Personally I think it's great that all the morons are refusing to get vaccinated, but unfortunately they are causing inconvenience to others with their self-indulgent crap.

You understand it's the jabbed, the vaccinated, cloggin' ICUs, yeah?

We could, I guess, throw links at one another: yours showin' the unvaccinated are a plague; mine showin' the opposite. But I'm thinkin' that wouldn't profit ether of us.

I've sworn off memes (they accomplish little of what I want) but I'll make an exception just this once (cuz mebbe someone seein' it will be curious enough to follow up on it)...

39ED9CBD-46BB-4FF2-A03D-3B3D01E3CECA.png
Not the same at all. You are just being ridiculous. Only 1.4 percent of the people hospitalised for covid here are vaccinated, while 80 percent of the population is vaccinated. I think even you could do 'that' maths.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Let me jump in and tell you that mandates would be my second choice.

In my utopian world there would be no mandates. Everyone would just decide for themselves to get the jab. But of course, that’s not going to happen.

So, rather than doing nothing, I would choose mandates. But of course, mandates mean nothing in actuality.