Healthcare Workers should be Fired

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: Healthcare Workers should be Fired

Post by henry quirk »

Why can't you just answer? What's all of this "as I say..." and "go read my blah, blah, blah" stuff you always try to use instead of having an actual back-and-forth cooperative discussion?

And how can I answer Do I care about things that don't affect me? ...and... Do I care for people outside of me and mine? without referencin' my words in-forum? Any anecdote I relay from my life is unconfirmable, by me, for you. I can only use what is readily available to anyone as evidence: my words, here. Like my contributions in this thread, for example.

I'm simply pointing out that you do not come across as caring about anything or anyone other than how it benefits you.

I get it: I'm off-putting. My style offends. I told someone, in-forum, not too long back, that I'm no salesman, meanin' I don't schmooze, I don't market, I don't make with the sugar talk. I'm a hard pill to swallow.

It is what it is; I am what I am.
Last edited by henry quirk on Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

The fact that your rants refer to anyone, instead of just to you, just means that your rants refer to yourself, along with others.

So: self-interest and interest in others, these are mutually excludin', to you?

You can see where someone might be confused by your writing one thing at one time and writing the opposite at another.

Nope. Anything I write in-forum is part & parcel of everything I write in-forum. I hold to no conflictin' principles or notions. If you think otherwise it's becuz you've cherry-picked or becuz your comprehension lacks.

Let’s see it happen first before calling it altruistic or not.

I'm no altruist. Frankly, I don't believe anyone is. And it's a false choice: self-interest or interest in others.

I am self-interested (as any sane person normally and naturally is) and other-interested.

As I say: my contributions in-forum revolve around a small set of principles applicable to all men, without exception. I advocate for these principles in a rather plain, direct way, just as I rail in a plain, direct way against those who violate those principles.

I'm a zealous defender of those principles, not a cheerful marketeer of them. If it seems that I only speak for me it's becuz I don't write volumes explicatin' all the details and every nuance. I get in, I get out. I expect intelligent folks to be able to unpack ideas and think them thru. Apparently, though, spoon-feedin' is the way of things here.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

You missed the point.

Self-interest and altruism are not mutually exclusive. However, only one of the two can have a higher priority.
Last edited by commonsense on Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:44 pm You missed the point.
I really don't think you had one.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:59 pm
I really don't think you had one.
See the edited post.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:24 am The fact that your rants refer to anyone, instead of just to you, just means that your rants refer to yourself, along with others.

You can see where someone might be confused by your writing one thing at one time and writing the opposite at another.

Nope. Anything I write in-forum is part & parcel of everything I write in-forum. I hold to no conflictin' principles or notions. If you think otherwise it's becuz you've cherry-picked or becuz your comprehension lacks.

I'm no altruist. Frankly, I don't believe anyone is. And it's a false choice: self-interest or interest in others.

I am self-interested (as any sane person normally and naturally is) and other-interested.

As I say: my contributions in-forum revolve around a small set of principles applicable to all men, without exception. I advocate for these principles in a rather plain, direct way, just as I rail in a plain, direct way against those who violate those principles.

I'm a zealous defender of those principles, not a cheerful marketeer of them. If it seems that I only speak for me it's becuz I don't write volumes explicatin' all the details and every nuance. I get in, I get out. I expect intelligent folks to be able to unpack ideas and think them thru. Apparently, though, spoon-feedin' is the way of things here.
What is there to comprehend about saying me first and also saying others first aside from a contradiction.?
Last edited by commonsense on Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:59 am Why can't you just answer? What's all of this "as I say..." and "go read my blah, blah, blah" stuff you always try to use instead of having an actual back-and-forth cooperative discussion?

And how can I answer Do I care about things that don't affect me? ...and... Do I care for people outside of me and mine? without referencin' my words in-forum? Any anecdote I relay from my life is unconfirmable, by me, for you. I can only use what is readily available to anyone as evidence: my words, here. Like my contributions in this thread, for example.
A simple yes or no would be one way to answer the questions.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:32 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:59 am Why can't you just answer? What's all of this "as I say..." and "go read my blah, blah, blah" stuff you always try to use instead of having an actual back-and-forth cooperative discussion?

I did that (answered yes). As I predicted, she wanted proof. I offered some. She wasn't satisfied.

The whole sequence is up-thread.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Self-interest and altruism are not mutually exclusive. However, *only one of the two can have a higher priority.
Nope, that's wrong. First, there's no static measure involved: one's interest (in self or the other) will flux. Second, It's possible to be self-interested and other-interested to the same degree, simultaneously.

Man is not a programmed, binary, machine: he isn't confined to either/or.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

I'm simply pointing out that you do not come across as caring about anything or anyone other than how it benefits you.

I get it: I'm off-putting. My style offends. I told someone, in-forum, not too long back, that I'm no salesman, meanin' I don't schmooze, I don't market, I don't make with the sugar talk. I'm a hard pill to swallow.

There’s no yes or no in your response, yet you say there is.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:29 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:24 am The fact that your rants refer to anyone, instead of just to you, just means that your rants refer to yourself, along with others.

What is there to comprehend about saying me first and also saying others first aside from a contradiction.
I never said me first/others first or me first or others first.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:59 pm

I did that (answered yes). As I predicted, she wanted proof. I offered some. She wasn't satisfied.

But how many times did you have to be prodded before answering belatedly?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:06 pm

henry quirk wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:18 pm
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:11 pm
henry quirk wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:54 pm **I only take care of me and mine

**I don't care about anything that isn't affecting me

** Lace's assertions
Do you?
Do I care about things that don't affect me? Do I care for people outside of me and mine?

Yes, I do.

I guess you want me to prove it, right?
'nuff said, to you, in this thread (cuz your're wastin' my time).
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:08 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:29 pm

What is there to comprehend about saying me first and also saying others first aside from a contradiction.
I never said me first/others first or me first or others first.
Mebbe not. I got that from something that Lace called you out for.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:14 pm

commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:06 pm

henry quirk wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:18 pm
Lacewing wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:11 pm
Do you?
Do I care about things that don't affect me? Do I care for people outside of me and mine?

Yes, I do.

I guess you want me to prove it, right?
'nuff said, to you, in this thread (cuz your're wastin' my time).
Your response to Lace was another wandering distraction, until you answered Lace’s questions belatedly.