Health Care Workers should be given a medal

For philosophical reflections on the COVID-19 pandemic. How can philosophy help us to understand it, to combat it and to survive it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Health Care Workers should be given a medal

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Dontaskme wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:50 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:51 am
uwot wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:13 pm Do you ever think the problem might be you?
Exactly what I thought
What I think is not to trust any one that even slightly resembles a human being.

Especially the Dr Harold Shipman Serial killer or the Nurse who killed 8 babies in her care.

You just have to trust who you dare to trust, it's your need, if the need is there.

Speaking of which, we put our trust in pilots to keep us alive, not deliberately crashing a plane killing everyone on board.

Life is a risk, but if you enjoy risk, then you'll get it.
And people said what a 'saint' that nurse was who was murdering children...
So why does she get to have a 'syndrome' for being a child-killer, yet Shipman is a bog standard serial killer??
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

uwot wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:13 pm Do you ever think the problem might be you?
Exactly what I thought
What I think is not to trust any one that even slightly resembles a human being.

Especially the Dr Harold Shipman Serial killer or the Nurse who killed 8 babies in her care.

You just have to trust who you dare to trust, it's your need, if the need is there.

Speaking of which, we put our trust in pilots to keep us alive, not deliberately crashing a plane killing everyone on board.

You can't base your view of humanity on one person.
IS you Mum the same as Dr Shipman
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:16 pm

Exactly what I thought

Hardly the point, Einstein...
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:05 pm

Exactly what I thought

And people said what a 'saint' that nurse was who was murdering children...
So why does she get to have a 'syndrome' for being a child-killer, yet Shipman is a bog standard serial killer??
Serial killer in the context of more than one.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Exactly what I thought

Shipman had four children.

Things are not what they appear to be, nor are they otherwise.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:15 am

Shipman had four children.

Things are not what they appear to be, nor are they otherwise.
You are right.

The mask crusaders strike again (and again and again and again........... ) Why? They look to the right and people are dying. They look to left and people are dying. But not around me. Don't be stupid but sooner or later everyone will just realize that it's over. You might say that I am not paying attention to the news. I do pay attention but I only believe some of what I hear.

Has anyone you know been tested? No one that I know of has been tested yet the statistics keep rising. Why? Perhaps, someone (?) is making them up.

I got vaccinated in order to be allowed to move around freely and to reassure my family and friends, not because I feared I would die without the vaccine.

Let's appreciate the risks that health care workers took but let's tell the crusaders to STFU.
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

At some time a post mortem should be made. My postmortem is below.

While i have no criticism of health care workers, I do have criticisms for how the authorities handled the epidemic.

Primarily I am upset with how the authorities handled the epidemic from a risk management perspective.

Risk management involves the forecasting and evaluation of risks together with the identification of procedures to avoid or minimize their impact.

The doctors who advised the citizens did not forecast the risks of catching the virus and did not set procedures that avoided and minimized their impact.

They made off the cuff statements such as “No one is wearing masks”, “Masks will prevent you from getting the disease.” “the number of cases is rising,”

Each one of those statements requires accurate statistics and not unfounded opinions (which they seem to be).

Many people in many locations were wearing masks.

Many people, who wore masks, were getting the disease, so masks were not very effective. Spraying interiors of buildings with peroxide would have been more effective.

No one I know of was tested, so where did the statistic for rising cases come from? Perhaps they were made up. Risk managers would have checked the reliability of the data to make sure they weren’t based on garbage data.

But past epidemics were measured by deaths, not virus tests. This means that past trends could not be applied to the current test results. Herd immunity did occur in many epidemics such as the black plague, ebola, all flu outbreaks but, without any valid reason, Dr. Fauci said, “Herd immunity won’t happen for Covid-19.”

Using falling deaths rate, risk managers would have confirmed that herd immunity was indeed occuring.

Risk managers would have also weighed the cost of risk management against the benefits. The FDA prevented immunization for months and months. The cost in the number of deaths and hoapitalizations because of that delay was enormous while the risk of the vaccines proving harmful was small.

There will come a time when the virus becomes less virulent or people get immunities. How much should be spent to avoid lessa than a hundred deaths a week while people are still worrying from repeated unfounded warnings?

The authorities were not being analytical. They were bewildered by one shouting group followed by an opposing shouting group.

Risk managers would have given authorities intelligent analysis and practical steps to take. Instead of swinging one way and then the other, the authorities would have been given a plan that gradually changed as the virus took its course,

Opening cities and vacation spots would have been rational rather than political.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

I've been a health care worker for over 40 years and I can tell you that most are really nice and highly dedicated human beings. The vast majority of people who get into health care do so because they feel somewhat of a calling to help others. Are there other reasons? Of course. I have made a very nice living being a physician.

Health care [like all Western institutions] needs serious re-thinking as the current models are [to a large extent] ineffective and financially unsustainable. Change will come slowly as prying-off the greedy fingers of corporations and the voracious appetites of government for power is not going to come easy...but come it will.

Just the same, people who work in health care are no better or worse than anybody else...mostly just regular folks trying to do the right thing, support their families, and have a shot a decent life.