The Paradox of the Non-Existence of Self

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

commonsense

Re: The Paradox of the Non-Existence of Self

Post by commonsense »

Magnolia5275 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:11 pm
"I don't exist"

Let's assume that I do exist

So it's true that I exist

So it's true that it's true that I exist

So it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that I exist

So it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that I exist

So it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that... (Infinity...)

Infinity never ends, so I never exist.

I DON'T EXIST

...But I feel like I exist! It's a Paradox!

Can you solve the Paradox?
Infinity never ends, therefore you always exist.

You feel like you exist because you do exist.

Paradoxically it makes sense without containing a paradox .
bahman

Post by bahman »

Magnolia5275 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:11 pm Consider this:

"I don't exist"

PROOF:

Let's assume that I do exist

So it's true that I exist

So it's true that it's true that I exist

So it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that I exist

So it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that... (Infinity...)

I DON'T EXIST

END OF PROOF

It is true that you exist. You are not getting any new thing by adding it is true to the former. Therefore you exist and there is no paradox.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

You exist and you don’t exist would be a paradox, but you have only claimed without proof that you don’t exist and then claimed with support that you do exist.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Magnolia5275 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:11 pm So it's true that it's true that I exist

So it's true that it's true that it's true that...[etc.]

I DON'T EXIST

END OF PROOF

It's not a paradox, as has been pointed out. It also doesn't lead to the conclusion that he doesn't exist. It is an attempt to undermine the assertion that he exists. But it's a pretty basic bit of reason that not being able to prove X does not mean not X is the case.

Further the same 'argument' could be performed on the assertion 'I don't exist.' If the argument is valid against the positive, it's valid against the negative. So, we end up agnostic.

But then other posters have disembowled the effectiveness of this 'argument'. I just wanted to point out that even if it worked, the conclusion is not supported.
alan1000

Post by alan1000 »

Harbal wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:40 pm
Magnolia5275 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:11 pm

It isn't a paradox.

Assuming that you do exist, it is legitimate to say, "it's true that I exist". That assertion states a fact, and to go on to say, " it's true that it's true that I exist", merely confirms it. If you continue to say, "it's true that it's true that it's true......., you are just continuing to confirm it into infinity, forever diminishing any doubt about your existence.
Absolutely. May I add that the error in the original post has something in common with the fallacy underlying Fermi's Paradox and the classic ontological arguments for the existence of God: namely, a misguided belief that a matter of existential fact can be determined by purely logical arguments. It can't be done. Propositions about matters of fact must, at some point, appeal to observable data.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

Rewind to 400 years ago.