The Paradox of the Non-Existence of Self

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Magnolia5275

The Paradox of the Non-Existence of Self

Post by Magnolia5275 »

Consider this:

"I don't exist"

PROOF:

Let's assume that I do exist

So it's true that I exist

So it's true that it's true that I exist

So it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that I exist

So it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that I exist

So it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that... (Infinity...)

Infinity never ends, so I never exist.

I DON'T EXIST

END OF PROOF

...But I feel like I exist! It's a Paradox!

Can you solve the Paradox?
Last edited by Magnolia5275 on Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sculptor

Re: The Paradox of the Non-Existence of Self

Post by Sculptor »

Magnolia5275 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:11 pm Consider this:

"I don't exist" is true

PROOF:

So it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that I exist

So it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that... (Infinity...)

I DON'T EXIST

END OF PROOF

Let's assume it's a paradox.
It is true that it is true that it is true that it is a paradox...
ad infinitem.

QED
It is not true that it is a paradox.
Magnolia5275

Post by Magnolia5275 »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:24 pm

"I don't exist" is true

PROOF:

I DON'T EXIST

END OF PROOF

ad infinitem.

QED
So it's true that it's true that it's true that it is "not true that it is a paradox." ...

So it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that... (Infinity...)

It is never true that it is "not true that it is a paradox." What are you talking about!?

My Paradox still stands!
Last edited by Magnolia5275 on Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Magnolia5275 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:11 pm Infinity never ends, so I never exist.

I DON'T EXIST

END OF PROOF

I'm not sure why you think that because of the list you made and imply could (should?) go on forever you don't exist. Those are just letters on a screen, not even an argument, and your existence is not dependent on you writing any of that list, let alone an infinite version. You made a lot of statements, which are not tied together in an argument.
Magnolia5275

Post by Magnolia5275 »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:47 pm
Magnolia5275 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:11 pm Infinity never ends, so I never exist.

I DON'T EXIST

END OF PROOF

I'm not sure why you think that because of the list you made and imply could (should?) go on forever you don't exist. Those are just letters on a screen, not even an argument, and your existence is not dependent on you writing any of that list, let alone an infinite version. You made a lot of statements, which are not tied together in an argument.
But can you solve the Paradox?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Magnolia5275 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:11 pm

'That which is never ceases to be. That which is not never comes into existence' ~ Quoted by Parmenides

God (if God exists) was not born.
Parmenides seems to assume that a thing can come into existence either (a) from being or (b) from not-being.
He would rule out (a) on the grounds that a thing can't come into being from itself; he would rule out (b) on the grounds that nothing comes from nothing.

There is only one homogeneous substance, always itself, always in the same place, that is, in itself, being only itself, knowing only itself, loving only itself. The homogeneous substance of all phenomena is not just behind all appearances. It is in the foreground as well. There is only that.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Magnolia5275 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:34 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:24 pm

"I don't exist" is true

PROOF:

I DON'T EXIST

END OF PROOF

ad infinitem.

QED
So it's true that it's true that it's true that it is "not true that it is a paradox." ...

So it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true that... (Infinity...)

It is never true that it is "not true that it is a paradox." What are you talking about!?

My Paradox still stands!
My paradox stands is true.is true is true to infintiity

QED it does not stand
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Magnolia5275 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:03 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:47 pm

I DON'T EXIST

END OF PROOF

I didn't see a paradox. Explain why you need to make that list, why it needs to be infinite in order claim that you exist or if it is supposed to be entailed somehow by your existence, demonstrate that. For some reason, not stated, you decided to make a list. For some reason you decided, though it is not stated why. the list has to be infinite. For some reason, not stated, this entails either you do not exist or any argument that you exist or statement you exist leads to infinite assertions.

I did see a couple of contradictory claims.
You exist.
You don't exist.

I saw no justification for either, though I do happen to believe the first one is true.
Magnolia5275

Post by Magnolia5275 »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:31 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:47 pm I'm not sure why you think that because of the list you made and imply could (should?) go on forever you don't exist. Those are just letters on a screen, not even an argument, and your existence is not dependent on you writing any of that list, let alone an infinite version. You made a lot of statements, which are not tied together in an argument.
I didn't see a paradox. Explain why you need to make that list, why it needs to be infinite in order claim that you exist or if it is supposed to be entailed somehow by your existence, demonstrate that. For some reason, not stated, you decided to make a list. For some reason you decided, though it is not stated why. the list has to be infinite. For some reason, not stated, this entails either you do not exist or any argument that you exist or statement you exist leads to infinite assertions.

You exist.
You don't exist.

I saw no justification for either, though I do happen to believe the first one is true.
Is what you are saying here true?
Magnolia5275

Post by Magnolia5275 »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:08 pm

'That which is never ceases to be. That which is not never comes into existence' ~ Quoted by Parmenides

God (if God exists) was not born.
Parmenides seems to assume that a thing can come into existence either (a) from being or (b) from not-being.
He would rule out (a) on the grounds that a thing can't come into being from itself; he would rule out (b) on the grounds that nothing comes from nothing.

There is only one homogeneous substance, always itself, always in the same place, that is, in itself, being only itself, knowing only itself, loving only itself. The homogeneous substance of all phenomena is not just behind all appearances. It is in the foreground as well. There is only that.
There is only one homogeneous substance, always itself
The eternal truth of truth is all there is. Congratulations, you have Solved the Paradox!
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Magnolia5275 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:40 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:31 pm

You exist.
You don't exist.

Is what you are saying here true?
Are we changing topics?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

"I don't exist" is true

PROOF:

I DON'T EXIST

END OF PROOF

Yeah... Deflationism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflation ... ncy_theory
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

"I don't exist" is true

PROOF:

NON SEQUITUR
I DON'T EXIST
FALSE
END OF PROOF

bobmax

Post by bobmax »

Let assume that I don't exist.

"I don't exist" is true.

So it's true that I don't exist

So it's true that it's true that I don't exist

So it's true that it's true that it's true that it's true ... that I don't exist

Infinity never ends, so I never don't exist.

I EXIST

END OF PROOF
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

It isn't a paradox.

Assuming that you do exist, it is legitimate to say, "it's true that I exist". That assertion states a fact, and to go on to say, " it's true that it's true that I exist", merely confirms it. If you continue to say, "it's true that it's true that it's true......., you are just continuing to confirm it into infinity, forever diminishing any doubt about your existence.