Visual demonstration of infentisimals

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Visual demonstration of infentisimals

Post by Skepdick »

There are two possible interpretations of this:
1. 1 = 0 (Mathematics is inconsistent)
2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperreal_number
infinitisemals.png
infinitisemals.png (19.07 KiB) Viewed 1880 times
wtf

Re: Visual demonstration of infentisimals

Post by wtf »

Troll grade D-. Not even stoopid.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

wtf wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:51 pm Troll grade D-. Not even stoopid.
Great then! You should have no trouble educating the D- "troll" and the audience. Educate us on which of the following two statements is a theorem in contemporary Mathematics:

A: x∈ ℝ, lim x->∞: x = x + 1
B: x∈ ℝ, lim x->∞: x < x + 1

Informatiion. You don't grok it.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

1. You have 1 line.

2. This line is divided by a 0d point.

3. The resulting line is 2 lines in one.

4. You have 1 line.

5. The line is divided by 2 0d points.

6. The resulting line is 3 lines in one.

7. Division by a 0d point (0) is equal to x+1 with x equaling the number of points. Considering x equals a number points each 0d point (0) is equal to one.
alan1000

Post by alan1000 »

"Grok" is a mathematical term I haven't come across before. How is it defined?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

alan1000 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:41 pm "Grok" is a mathematical term I haven't come across before. How is it defined?
How is the term "mathematical" defined?
How is the term "define" defined?

Definition is a verb you don't seem to understand. Nor does most of Western Philosophy which thinks "definition" as a noun, not a verb.

A fundamental misconception. A broken paradigm.
alan1000

Post by alan1000 »

How is the term "mathematical" defined?

Definition is a verb you don't seem to understand. Nor does most of Western Philosophy which thinks "definition" as a noun, not a verb.

Actually, "definition" IS a noun. The verb is "define". Why are you speaking in tongues? The fact that you are writing in English implies that you are willing to accept the normal usages of the English language. Are you deliberately trying NOT to be understood because your basic position is unintelligible? And I'm still waiting for that definition of "grok".
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

alan1000 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:44 pm Actually, "definition" IS a noun. The verb is "define". Why are you speaking in tongues? The fact that you are writing in English implies that you are willing to accept the normal usages of the English language.
No it doesn't. The fact that I am writing means that I am willing to use language, not that I am willing to accept your normative use of language.
alan1000 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:44 pm Are you deliberately trying NOT to be understood because your basic position is unintelligible?
I am deliberately trying to be understood. Just because my basic position is unintelligible from your perspective it doesn't mean my position is unintelligible. Which is why I told you I am using "definition" as a verb - a gerund if you will. Definition is what humans DO.

Now, even after I told you how I am using it, you've defaulted to the normative use.

It's as if you are deliberately trying to misunderstand me.
alan1000 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:44 pm And I'm still waiting for that definition of "grok".
I am using the standard English definition of "grok".

grok verb understand (something) intuitively or by empathy.

Here's an example of how I would use it in a sentence... I grok that you don't understand my position.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

alan1000 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:44 pm How is the term "mathematical" defined?

Actually, "definition" IS a noun. The verb is "define". Why are you speaking in tongues? The fact that you are writing in English implies that you are willing to accept the normal usages of the English language. Are you deliberately trying NOT to be understood because your basic position is unintelligible? And I'm still waiting for that definition of "grok".
"Grok," is a word coined by Robert Heinlein in the science fiction novel, Stranger in a Strange Land. He used the word to mean, "understand."

It is unlikely Skepdick knows either where "Grok," came from or what it actually means since Skep obviously doesn't even know the difference between and noun and a verb. Good luck!
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:07 pm
wtf wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:51 pm Troll grade D-. Not even stoopid.
Great then! You should have no trouble educating the D- "troll" and the audience. Educate us on which of the following two statements is a theorem in contemporary Mathematics:

A: x∈ ℝ, lim x->∞: x = x + 1
B: x∈ ℝ, lim x->∞: x < x + 1

Informatiion. You don't grok it.
Since you don't even know the difference between a noun and a verb, you probably don't know lim x->∞ means the value of x as the function approaches infinity, not an actual value at infinity, which the calculus assumes can never be reached. so treats the value, "as if," infinity was reached. I'm sure this will be too much for you to grok.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

RCSaunders wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:43 pm Since you don't even know the difference between a noun and a verb, you probably don't know lim x->∞ means the value of x as the function approaches infinity, not an actual value at infinity, which the calculus assumes can never be reached. so treats the value, "as if," infinity was reached. I'm sure this will be too much for you to grok.
Why did you feel the need to explain things I already understand?

Spare me your lecture and tell me which one is true as x approaches infnity. A or B?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:00 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:43 pm Since you don't even know the difference between a noun and a verb, you probably don't know lim x->∞ means the value of x as the function approaches infinity, not an actual value at infinity, which the calculus assumes can never be reached. so treats the value, "as if," infinity was reached. I'm sure this will be too much for you to grok.
Why did you feel the need to explain things I already understand?

Spare me your lecture and tell me which one is true as x approaches infnity. A or B?
Since mathematical propositions are entirely arbitrary, there is no actual fact against which the validity of any such propositions can be tested. A and B are only metrics which have no meaning separate from some real thing with a measureable attribute.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:36 pm Since mathematical propositions are entirely arbitrary, there is no actual fact against which the validity of any such propositions can be tested. A and B are only metrics which have no meaning separate from some real thing with a measureable attribute.
Spare me the bullshit.

Equality and inequality relations return Booleans.

(1=1) = True
(1<2) = True
(1=2) = False
(1>2) = False

True OR False is your metric.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:34 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:36 pm Since mathematical propositions are entirely arbitrary, there is no actual fact against which the validity of any such propositions can be tested. A and B are only metrics which have no meaning separate from some real thing with a measureable attribute.
Spare me the bullshit.

Equality and inequality relations return Booleans.

(1=1) = True
(1<2) = True
(1=2) = False
(1>2) = False

True OR False is your metric.
1 "what?"

Once you get by first grade, you realize numbers are only symbols that identify quantities, and a statement like 1=1 or 2+2=4, is not, "true," but, "correct," notation. Not until actual existents are designated by the number symbols can there be truth. 1=1 is correct, but 1=1 can only be true if you know what there is 1 of, and both, 1's, pertain to the same existent or existents. 1 apple = 1 pear is not true. It is unlikely that 1 apple = 1 apple is true either, unless you know which attribute of the apples are being compared (weight, size, shape) and they happen to have equal weight, size, or shape.

In all of mathematics alone, as Bertrand Russell observed, you never know what you are talking about or whether what you are saying is true. Mathematics is only a method and can arrive at no truth until it is applied to actual existents.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

RCSaunders wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:16 pm 1 "what?"
1 unit. Of whatever.
RCSaunders wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:16 pm Once you get by first grade, you realize numbers are only symbols that identify quantities, and a statement like 1=1 or 2+2=4, is not, "true," but, "correct," notation. Not until actual existents are designated by the number symbols can there be truth. 1=1 is correct, but 1=1 can only be true if you know what there is 1 of, and both, 1's, pertain to the same existent or existents. 1 apple = 1 pear is not true. It is unlikely that 1 apple = 1 apple is true either, unless you know which attribute of the apples are being compared (weight, size, shape) and they happen to have equal weight, size, or shape.
Idiot. Does everything need to be made explicit for you?

(1.unit = 1.unit) = True
(1.unit < 2.unit) = True
(1.unit = 2.unit) = False
(1.unit >2.unit) = False

Unit of what? OF WHATEVER.