P=P is a Contradiction

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

raw_thought
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by raw_thought »

You are obviously not following the conversation. Scroll back and ponder.
Skepdick
Posts: 4964
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by Skepdick »

raw_thought wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:45 pm Next you will say that the earth is not flat because Euclidian geometry is only one particular geometry. Sure, if you invent another particular geometry where "straight" is defined as the longest possible distance between 2 points, perhaps the earth is flat. But even then that is not a contradiction. You are conflating 2 different geometries and positing a contradiction that does not exist.
Way to miss the point again.

The distance between Buenos Aires and Shanghai is about 19000km with an airplane. Is that a "straight line"?

Because if you dig right through Earth, the no distance is ever above 13000.

And if you fold spacetime, the distance is 0.
Last edited by Skepdick on Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skepdick
Posts: 4964
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by Skepdick »

raw_thought wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:47 pm You are obviously not following the conversation. Scroll back and ponder.
Obviously you are going to attack my peculiarity now.

Probably because you can't actually produce a contradiction.

Because they don't actually exist.
raw_thought
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by raw_thought »

You wrote,"So you are agreeing then, that the "law" of non-contradiction is a stupid law in a universe in which contradictions are impossible?"
I was making the point that you could call it stupid because it is self-evident. So you are willing to abandon logic and its explosion principle or are you saying that the queen of England lives on mars and that the earth is flat?
raw_thought
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by raw_thought »

ahh now you are reversing your position. I WAS THE ONE THAT SAID CONTRADICTIONS ARE IMPOSSIBLE IN THE REAL WORLD!
Skepdick
Posts: 4964
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by Skepdick »

raw_thought wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:50 pm I was making the point that you could call it stupid because it is self-evident. So you are willing to abandon logic and its explosion principle or are you saying that the queen of England lives on mars and that the earth is flat?
It's not "self-evident". I am saying the precisely opposite thing! There is no such law.

if you believe in it then you are irrational.

There is no evidence for such a law.
raw_thought
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by raw_thought »

You wrote, "Obviously you are going to attack my peculiarity now."
I never called you peculiar. I asked you to think before you post.
Skepdick
Posts: 4964
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by Skepdick »

raw_thought wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:51 pm ahh now you are reversing your position. I WAS THE ONE THAT SAID CONTRADICTIONS ARE IMPOSSIBLE IN THE REAL WORLD!
I am not! You are just mis-interpreting me.

What do you mean by the REAL WORLD?

How is THE WORLD different from THE REAL WORLD?

If contradictions are impossible (like God) then why are you even talking about them?
Last edited by Skepdick on Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skepdick
Posts: 4964
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by Skepdick »

raw_thought wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:52 pm I never called you peculiar. I asked you to think before you post.
That's great advice! I practice it. You should too.
raw_thought
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by raw_thought »

You wrote, "Probably because you can't actually produce a contradiction. Because they don't actually exist."
Then you comment about the law that says that no contradictions can exist with, " It's not "self-evident". I am saying the precisely opposite thing! There is no such law."
Anyway, you are obviously upset. BTW I did not call you peculiar. I will be back when you calm down. I am sure you are very intelligent. You are just posting nonsense because you are upset.
raw_thought
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by raw_thought »

You wrote, "
If contradictions are impossible (like God) then why are you even talking about them?"
because it is important to classify logical fallacies.
Anyway, like I said, when you calm down I will be back.
Skepdick
Posts: 4964
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by Skepdick »

raw_thought wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:56 pm You wrote, "Probably because you can't actually produce a contradiction. Because they don't actually exist."
Then you comment about the law that says that no contradictions can exist with, " It's not "self-evident". I am saying the precisely opposite thing! There is no such law."
Anyway, you are obviously upset. BTW I did not call you peculiar. I will be back when you calm down. I am sure you are very intelligent. You are just posting nonsense because you are upset.
You are probably projecting your "upset"-nes onto me. Perhaps you lack the emotional intelligence to recognize that the emotions you are experiencing are not my emotions. They are your emotions.

So it's "obvious" that at least one of us is upset. And from where I am standing, it's not me.
Skepdick
Posts: 4964
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by Skepdick »

raw_thought wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:58 pm You wrote, "
If contradictions are impossible (like God) then why are you even talking about them?"
because it is important to classify logical fallacies.
But if contradictions don't exist, then neither do fallacies.

So lets settle this: Do contradictions exist?

This is a yes/no question.

raw_thought wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:58 pm Anyway, like I said, when you calm down I will be back.
Are you back yet?

Or are you calming yourself down while pinning it on me?
raw_thought
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by raw_thought »

I love this Philosophy Now site!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9tE9djKKFg
Anyway, I thought it best to end with a touch of humor.
raw_thought
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:16 pm
Location: trapped inside a hominid skull

Re: P=P is a Contradiction

Post by raw_thought »

You wrote, "So lets settle this: Do contradictions exist?"
NO THEY DO NOT! You say they do.
Anyway, once you calm down and scroll back we can talk.
Remember? You said that the law of contradiction ( that contradictions cannot exist ) isnt a law.
Post Reply