Mathematics = Maya

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

roydop

Mathematics = Maya

Post by roydop »

Maya is the power that distracts attention away from Reality. While engaged in mathematics/logic self awareness is lost.

Math is a thought producing machine, nothing more. It leads to nothing profound. Those profundities are...?

Yup just more thought.

Do you see?
anne

Re: Mathematics = Maya

Post by anne »

Yup just more thought.
you idea is self-referential
if thought is maya
then
then your claim itself is a thought therefore must itself be maya -so why should we listen to you -if what you said is just maya
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

anne wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:16 pm
Yup just more thought.
if thought is maya
then
then your claim itself is a thought therefore must itself be maya -so why should we listen to you -if what you said is just maya
Self-referentiality is not a contradiction if it expands to other self referential statements:

Example:

(A→A)→B
(B→B)→C

C∋(A,B)
roydop

Post by roydop »

anne wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:16 pm
Yup just more thought.
if thought is maya
then
Thought does not necessarily have to completely stop. Unnecessary and egoic "I" thoughts cease. Also, I'm not fully enlightened. I'm pretty "close" though.
roydop

Post by roydop »

Yes I know I use the word I alot. Doesn't mean it means to me what it means to you.
roydop

Post by roydop »

Mathematics is nothing but a thought producing machine. Thought is a form of relative existence ("I know I exist when I'm thinking"). This is redundant and unnecessary, as we have the ability to be absolutely self aware.
AlexW

Post by AlexW »

roydop wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:00 pm While engaged in mathematics/logic self awareness is lost.
This does not have to be the case.
If one is firmly established in "self awareness" (true nature) no thought can make you loose it.
roydop wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:00 pm Math is a thought producing machine, nothing more. It leads to nothing profound.
I would rather say that lack of awareness is a "thought producing machine".
As long as awareness is primary thoughts will automatically recede and appear only when required.

What qualifies something to carry the label: "profound"? It's in the realm of thought to pronounce something profound or shallow - Math, just like anything else, can be at either end of the scale depending on how much truth you see in it.
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

Hmm. I wonder if this is the same as saying Information=Maya.