How deep is math?

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

wtf

Re: How deep is math?

Post by wtf »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:40 pm
I'm glad you brought up Littlewood who was an associate of GH Hardy. Hardy had correspondence with Ramanujan (from India) and was so impressed with this math genius that he arranged for his passage to England.
Together they took math to new heights and contributed much (Wikipedia has more details).
I hope you did see The Man Who Knew Infinity. Hardy is played by Jeremy Irons, whom I love. And a young actor named Dev Patel knocks it out of the park as Ramanujan. And Littlewood, as I mentioned, is played by Toby Jones in his usual British bulldog style. Most definitely worth rental or a download or whatever people do these days.

I'm curious. When I told you the story about how the complex numbers have a little copy of the integers mod 4 hidden in them as the group of quarter turns of the plane; did you relate to that in any way? Myself, I think is very cool. It leads into a lot of higher math and also gives great insight into the nature of the complex numbers.
Philosophy Explorer

Re: How deep is math?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

wtf wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:08 am
Philosophy Explorer wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:40 pm
I'm glad you brought up Littlewood who was an associate of GH Hardy. Hardy had correspondence with Ramanujan (from India) and was so impressed with this math genius that he arranged for his passage to England.
Together they took math to new heights and contributed much (Wikipedia has more details).
I hope you did see The Man Who Knew Infinity. Hardy is played by Jeremy Irons, whom I love. And a young actor named Dev Patel knocks it out of the park as Ramanujan. And Littlewood, as I mentioned, is played by Toby Jones in his usual British bulldog style. Most definitely worth rental or a download or whatever people do these days.

I'm curious. When I told you the story about how the complex numbers have a little copy of the integers mod 4 hidden in them as the group of quarter turns of the plane; did you relate to that in any way? Myself, I think is very cool. It leads into a lot of higher math and also gives great insight into the nature of the complex numbers.
Unfortunately I never got deep into Gauss's invention. I know that quarter turns in an Argand diagram is connected to -1 after doing a type of multiplication (from my memory). Complex numbers have much relevance to the higher sciences.

PhilX 🇺🇸