question

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc
Posts: 6425
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

question

Post by thedoc » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:18 pm

50 + 50 = 140, What am I measuring?

uwot
Posts: 3629
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:21 am

Re: question

Post by uwot » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:29 pm

thedoc wrote:50 + 50 = 140, What am I measuring?
The crowd at Trump's inauguration?

User avatar
Noax
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:25 am

Re: question

Post by Noax » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:53 pm

thedoc wrote:50 + 50 = 140, What am I measuring?
Well not minutes or seconds since 50+50 = 1:40 which is not 140.
Given that time flies like an arrow, and fruit flies like a banana, my guess in you're measuring fruit flies in base 6, since 6 seems to be a natural base for insects to use.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3891
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: question

Post by Harbal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:40 pm

uwot wrote:
thedoc wrote:50 + 50 = 140, What am I measuring?
The crowd at Trump's inauguration?
Now that's intelligent humour. :D

thedoc
Posts: 6425
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: question

Post by thedoc » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:46 pm

Noax wrote:
thedoc wrote:50 + 50 = 140, What am I measuring?
Well not minutes or seconds since 50+50 = 1:40 which is not 140.
Given that time flies like an arrow, and fruit flies like a banana, my guess in you're measuring fruit flies in base 6, since 6 seems to be a natural base for insects to use.
Actually it is time, seconds or minutes since the 1 stands for 60 seconds, and on my microwave it automatically goes to 100 instead of 60. There is no colon on the display of my microwave, and when counting down it goes from 100 to 59.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3891
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: question

Post by Harbal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:18 pm

thedoc wrote:
Actually it is time, seconds or minutes since the 1 stands for 60 seconds, and on my microwave it automatically goes to 100 instead of 60. There is no colon on the display of my microwave, and when counting down it goes from 100 to 59.
I'm kicking myself for not guessing that.

User avatar
Noax
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:25 am

Re: question

Post by Noax » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:34 pm

thedoc wrote:Actually it is time, seconds or minutes since the 1 stands for 60 seconds, and on my microwave it automatically goes to 100 instead of 60. There is no colon on the display of my microwave, and when counting down it goes from 100 to 59.
But I can put 99 seconds on my microwave. Should all mathematics collapse into a self-contradictory digital black hole if I do that?

BTW, the banana quote was from Groucho Marx. Probably my favorite quote of his, so I was pleased to find a thread where I could apply its wisdom.

Another quote: "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?" Answer is 42 of course, and it works in base 13 just like 50+50=140 works in base 6. I guess it means the answer of all great questions would become apparent if we only did our arithmetic in base 13.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3891
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: question

Post by Harbal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:43 pm

Noax wrote:
Another quote: "What do you get when you multiply six by nine?" Answer is 42 of course, and it works in base 13 just like 50+50=140 works in base 6. I guess it means the answer of all great questions would become apparent if we only did our arithmetic in base 13.
Fascinating.

thedoc
Posts: 6425
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: question

Post by thedoc » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:14 pm

Noax wrote: But I can put 99 seconds on my microwave. Should all mathematics collapse into a self-contradictory digital black hole if I do that?
It seems to work OK, so it would seem that the timer in a microwave will work either way.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3891
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: question

Post by Harbal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:22 pm

thedoc wrote:
It seems to work OK, so it would seem that the timer in a microwave will work either way.
As long as it heats up your American fat burgers what's it matter?

ForCruxSake
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 am

Re: question

Post by ForCruxSake » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:30 pm

Harbal wrote:
uwot wrote:
thedoc wrote:50 + 50 = 140, What am I measuring?
The crowd at Trump's inauguration?
Now that's intelligent humour. :D
I agree. I'm just unsure of how you know what 'intelligent' humour is?

ForCruxSake
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:48 am

Re: question

Post by ForCruxSake » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:32 pm

Harbal wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Actually it is time, seconds or minutes since the 1 stands for 60 seconds, and on my microwave it automatically goes to 100 instead of 60. There is no colon on the display of my microwave, and when counting down it goes from 100 to 59.
I'm kicking myself for not guessing that.
There's a queue forming behind you to do likewise... but it has nothing to do with your ability to guess.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3891
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: question

Post by Harbal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:33 pm

ForCruxSake wrote:I'm just unsure
Then just bluff your way through it, like I do.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3891
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: question

Post by Harbal » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:39 pm

ForCruxSake wrote: There's a queue forming behind you to do likewise...
I don't doubt it but they ain't quick enough and neither are you.

thedoc
Posts: 6425
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: question

Post by thedoc » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:42 pm

Harbal wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:I'm just unsure
Then just bluff your way through it, like I do.
We've noticed.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest