The Axiom Of Identity *Challenged*

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Moyo

Re: The Axiom Of Identity *Challenged*

Post by Moyo »

wtf wrote:You don't accept the Axiom of Extensionality, which says that two sets are the same if and only if they have exactly the same elements? If you deny Extensionality, then you are rejecting modern set theory. You are free to invent your own set theory, but you are not saying anything meaningful about standard mathematics; since Extensionality is a basic principle of standard set theory.
A vicious cycle is just as bad as a vicious infinite regress.

The axiom rely's on its result (the theory of relations) for its existence
wtf wrote:There's a bit of notational confusion here. A is the set, 'a' is one of its elements. So given the set A, we form the collection {(a,a) : a is an element of A}. That collection, which is a subset of A X A, is the equality relation.

Yes , i got that, but in your explanation of the sameness of the elements you got rid of order by invoking the sameness of the sets themselves and got out of the pan and into the fire...the infinite regress is that in order to get out of the fire you will only manage to get into a bigger fire again using the word same.
Moyo

Post by Moyo »

Arising_uk wrote:
wtf wrote:...

There's a bit of notational confusion here. A is the set, 'a' is one of its elements. So given the set A, we form the collection {(a,a) : a is an element of A}. That collection, which is a subset of A X A, is the equality relation. ...
I'm interested in this wtf, how can there be a CP of a single element set {a}? And if there is why is it not {a} or {a,Ø} or even {Ø}?

DUDE..dont make me speak in CAPS.

1..A single set A is equivalent to A single set A.

This in Set theory ,if

ASS = A single set A

then 1...is expressed as (ASS,ASS)
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Moyo wrote:DUDE..dont make me speak in CAPS.
Well firstly I'm not your 'dude', secondly, I'm not making you do anything as you started speaking in caps all on your loonysome and thirdly, was I speaking to you?
1..A single set A is equivalent to A single set A.
Which set is it equivalent to is what I'm asking? As I thought you'd need two things to have a binary relation?
This in Set theory ,if

ASS = A single set A

then 1...is expressed as (ASS,ASS)
You should go into the Ass breeding business as you appear to have hit on a winner.
wtf

Post by wtf »

Moyo wrote: Yes , i got that, but in your explanation of the sameness of the elements you got rid of order by invoking the sameness of the sets themselves and got out of the pan and into the fire...the infinite regress is that in order to get out of the fire you will only manage to get into a bigger fire again using the word same.
"got out of the pan and into the fire" isn't very precise. You haven't said exactly what kind of infinite regress is created. You can't, because none is. If I have a bag of groceries, it's the same bag of groceries no matter how the checkout clerk packed the bag, with the oranges on top or on the bottom. Likewise, the set {1,2,3} is exactly the same set as {3,2,1}, because they are each a grocery bag containing the same three items.

If you can describe your supposed infinite regress in more specific terms than "out of the pan into the fire," that would clarify your ideas.
Moyo

Post by Moyo »

Lets do this slowly

say we have a set A = {a;b;c}

In what way is that element "a" the element "a".

Why ! but by the axiom of identity.or in other words a=a . AKA (a,a).
wtf

Post by wtf »

Moyo wrote:Lets do this slowly

say we have a set A = {a;b;c}

In what way is that element "a" the element "a".

Why ! but by the axiom of identity.or in other words a=a . AKA (a,a).
Oh I see your point. We need sets to define relations, and we need the identity relation in order to talk about equality of sets.

I think the answer is the law of identity, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_identity, which is a principle of logic. In other words we have the law of identity even before there are sets. That's my understanding of how this works; but in the end I think you raise a pretty good point. We need the law of identity before we write down the axioms for sets. Logic is logically prior to set theory.

In that sense I suppose we'd have to call equality a special kind of relation, one that precedes set theory itself and is not defined by a set-theoretical relation. I am not aware of how philosophers and logicians think about this.

(ps) I understand what's going on now. From the Wiki article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axiom_of_extensionality:

The axiom given above assumes that equality is a primitive symbol in predicate logic.

So the '=' symbol is not something defined within set theory. Rather, equality exists even before we write down the axioms of set theory.

Now when we write down the rules for what sets are, we start with Extensionality; which says that if we have two sets A and B with the property that for all x, x ∈ A if and only if x ∈ B, then we say that A = B.

In other words equality is given by logic; then we say what it means in set theory for two sets to be equal.

This avoids your infinite regress.

It's interesting that when we say for example that in the real numbers, 5 = 5, is that the logical equality? Or is it the equality relationship that we could define within set theory by considering the collection of all ordered pairs (x,x) where x is a real number?

I think it's not clear to me at all; but in practice, it doesn't seem to matter. In any event, we avoided the circularity by pushing '=' down into logic and making it available for use in set theory.

You raised a very good point but it seems the logicians and set theorists have already thought of it and prevented the problem.

(pps) Found this discussion ... http://math.stackexchange.com/questions ... gical-symb The consensus is that one can distinguish between equality as a logical symbol; and equality as a predicate when restricted to a specific set or domain.
Wyman

Post by Wyman »

Moyo wrote:
wtf wrote:So if I have some relation 'R' such that R consists of all and only the pairs (a,a) as a ranges over A; then it's always the case that xRx for any x in A, and if x and y are different, then it's NOT the case that xRy. So R is in fact the equality relation, defined exactly as the set of ordered pairs (a,a).
First i want to give you a heads up that i've gone through all the permutations of how this thread will go. I win every time. Now to sup with the masses...

See the underlind above. How can those two a's be equal when they differ in "order" or any respect. Yaaaaawn.
The answer is that symbols cannot be referred to within a system as symbols, but only as elements of the formal system. Thus, saying that "(a,a) means that the first 'a' is before the second 'a' " is a meta-statement, outside the system.

It's related to the liar paradox - 'This statement is false'. It was pondering such paradoxes that Tarski proved that the truth of axioms in a system can not be expressed within that system and Godell proved that a consistent formal system cannot be complete.
Moyo

Post by Moyo »

Why not build the whole system of relations on the same basis that this "=" is. It seems that if we can do this we avoid arbitrariness and acheive consistency.
The whole system of cartesian products and orderd pairs are an unnecesary frameworkthen and we can build mathematics without the suspect (because it doesnt involve computation) theory of sets.

It seems though that when you say a thing is itself you use two refferes 1. thing and 2. itself and are implicitly implying a colloqial version of (a,a).

This may be a limitation inherent to conciousness such as the failure to define "objective reality", and just as we may never have a definition for objective reality we may never be able to define equality.
Last edited by Moyo on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moyo

Post by Moyo »

Wyman wrote:The answer is that symbols cannot be referred to within a system as symbols, but only as elements of the formal system. Thus, saying that "(a,a) means that the first 'a' is before the second 'a' " is a meta-statement, outside the system.
You do realise that your point is really just a point on how we choose to represent mathematical statements? If the Greeks we still around (they used simple "English" to write down mathematical statements) , then they would have represented (a,a) as "the first "a" is before the second "a""
Moyo

Post by Moyo »

Reality can be desribed as a "group" minus the identity element.

Since the axiom of identityy is a=a i.e. leave "a" unchanged, and as we can see its giving us problems , we could search for an algebraic structure that handles identity in a more sophisticated way that circumvents this problem.

I imagine fiddeling about with the closure axiom and having one "group" spilling into another and so on forever. Following certain rules. this infinite cascade would be a representation of the infinite regress and the rules of this algebraic structure would curl in on themselves just as 0.999999 ... goes on forever (we never arrive) but reaches 1 (we've arrived )or is equivalent to it
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Moyo wrote:...
The whole system of cartesian products and orderd pairs are an unnecesary frameworkthen and we can build mathematics without the suspect (because it doesnt involve computation) theory of sets. ...
I thought pretty much that Mathematics was already built before set theory came about?
Moyo

Post by Moyo »

Arising_uk wrote:
Moyo wrote:...
The whole system of Cartesian products and ordered pairs are an unnecessary framework then and we can build mathematics without the suspect (because it doesn't involve computation) theory of sets. ...
I thought pretty much that Mathematics was already built before set theory came about?
Set theory was built to counter Munchhausen's trillema and make mathematical theorems have a ground to stand on.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Still not sure how any of this constitutes an ontological proof of 'God's' existence?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Moyo wrote:Set theory was built to counter Munchhausen's trillema and make mathematical theorems have a ground to stand on.
Like Russell's and Whithead's approach of trying to ground it in Logic?

How was Russell's set paradox dealt with in Mathematics?

Is it still the case that Mathematics is searching for a ground or have they accepted the axiomatic approach and the idea that Mathematics is not Platonic?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Moyo wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Moyo wrote:YOUR minds ARE SIMPLE, YOU JUST DONT GET IT. IS THIS THE BEST you CAN DO silence?

THIS IS A PROOF THAT THERE IS A GOD

I'd like to see someone take me on and win....pathetic you all are...
No this is proof that there is Cartesian sets.

We already won.

Soo...now that you've put down your leggos. :twisted:
When the whole world is telling you that you are mad, it's time to take a good look at yourself.
God is not here in any sense , not defined, not mentioned, not proven.