What is a good sample?

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Re: What is a good sample?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Lev Muishkin wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:LM asked:

"If you were not 'comparing', then why did you mention social complexity and chemicals in the same thread? Have you thought about what you are really asking here?"

Why? Because I'm talking about sampling in two different scenarios.

(btw did you know that certain physics laws such as Boyle's law is really based on sampling?)

PhilX
Boyle's law is based on the examination of phenomena in a controlled and closed system. The results of which are replicable, and demonstrable. That's what makes it a law.
Any questions?
How many atoms/molecules are involved in this system?

PhilX
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

One has to hope there are many or Science dies. But we do have to admire his persistence, even if this numberwang night, and it has been used to combat dementia. ;)

No offense Px and I do really enjoy your questions because they are fun. Anything that challenges the mind is quite fun. But you are playing your hand close to your chest, and I think people are reading your poker tells.
Lev Muishkin

Post by Lev Muishkin »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:LM asked:

"If you were not 'comparing', then why did you mention social complexity and chemicals in the same thread? Have you thought about what you are really asking here?"

Why? Because I'm talking about sampling in two different scenarios.

(btw did you know that certain physics laws such as Boyle's law is really based on sampling?)

PhilX
Boyle's law is based on the examination of phenomena in a controlled and closed system. The results of which are replicable, and demonstrable. That's what makes it a law.
Any questions?
How many atoms/molecules are involved in this system?

PhilX
That was not known at the time. But less than is involved in a single thought, all of which are significant in terms of their disposition, whilst the determination of Boyle's law merely required an air pump and a thermometer.