Number patterns

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Metazoan

Re: Number patterns

Post by Metazoan »

Hi Phil,

You mean like:-

x=x²+c¹

Just pull up you favorite character viewer and copy and paste, they are just Unicode characters.

If you are using Microsoft then run charmap.exe, choose the font Lucida Sans Unicode, and look there.

You can have that warning symbol that mathematicians kindly place before incomprehensible stuff to alert those of a nervous disposition:

And the one they put if front of the really hard sums:...These ones are so hard that if you make eye contact they usually nut you.

Well, they make my head hurt anyway.

As long as you use common ones then most people's browsers will have that font loaded.

It is still quicker to type x=x^2+c though and still get the message across.

There are some useful sites where common ones are listed but the link I had on this board has broken.

It would be good to have superscript, strikeout and spoilers but I think it is a compile option on phpBB and, by all accounts, you don't want to recompile that unless there is a gun at your head.

¹ I obssesed so much over this function(?) when I was young, it was almost a medical condition.
² OK, I don't know if it was written in C, but if I checked I may have to think of another pun and php doesn't work.

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Metazoan wrote:Hi Phil,

You mean like:-

x=x²+c¹

Just pull up you favorite character viewer and copy and paste, they are just Unicode characters.

If you are using Microsoft then run charmap.exe, choose the font Lucida Sans Unicode, and look there.

You can have that warning symbol that mathematicians kindly place before incomprehensible stuff to alert those of a nervous disposition:

And the one they put if front of the really hard sums:...These ones are so hard that if you make eye contact they usually nut you.

Well, they make my head hurt anyway.

As long as you use common ones then most people's browsers will have that font loaded.

It is still quicker to type x=x^2+c though and still get the message across.

There are some useful sites where common ones are listed but the link I had on this board has broken.

It would be good to have superscript, strikeout and spoilers but I think it is a compile option on phpBB and, by all accounts, you don't want to recompile that unless there is a gun at your head.

¹ I obssesed so much over this function(?) when I was young, it was almost a medical condition.
² OK, I don't know if it was written in C, but if I checked I may have to think of another pun and php doesn't work.
I have what is called Android keyboard (AOSP) built into my ZTE Source mostly using Chrome. I don't see the characters listed in the keyboard that you have expressed correctly in this post which I'm interested in (e.g. integral sign and powers).

Since it's not part of my system, I was considering downloading a keyboard through the Android market that does have those characters. Can anyone give me some input on that. Thanks

PhilX
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Just had this thought occur to me. I have access to a computer which should have those special characters. I can set up equations (e.g.) that have exponents. Then with my phone I can copy the post to post onto here theoretically. Should work.

PhilX