are numbers the result of feelings

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jackles

are numbers the result of feelings

Post by jackles »

Do numbers have an unconsciousess feeling relative to intereaction in the event.
Bill Wiltrack

Re: are numbers the result of feelings

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

jackles wrote:...relative to interaction in the event.
Which event? Counting?

In that case, you couldn't feel it, could you, if it was unconscious O.o ?

Better perhaps to talk about what you are aware and not aware of. Some things we take for granted, in that sense there could be a "feel" to it yes that we are not immediately aware of, but I don't think it's the sight of 3 things that is the three-ness as such, instead, you see three things relating to an idea, and then your mind notice that you've replicated the process of recognition in plural (more than once), and by its memory it knows that the specific replication in question is a "3". I think we actually don't see the three-ness and are instead just recognizing what we experience in our mind (as opposed to our senses, which articulate details better, like colour or smell or sound). So seeing 3 things is a bit of an illusion, but a real illusion (to take an example of how it's an illusion, take a look at a keyboard... if you could comprehend the meaning of the symbols you'd figure that there are such and such many symbols there, however, if you didn't know that those things were symbols (or individual buttons for that sake), you might not take notice of them and would instead just see a rugged surface of unusual perfection (similarity in pattern), it would take inspection to figure those buttons are not part of one surface but individual items socketed upon another surface).

How would numbers feel like? Distortive I guess: they distort our habit of seeing things as one whole, or our habit of narrowly focusing on one object. Amazement as well, the amazement at the possibility of abundance, and with that, I guess comes wonder first, which leads you into an inquiring mood about the nature of "plurality" and what it means for you and the world, amazement being a product of this inquiry. I guess you could be joyed by it as well, but also terrified, because at one time the plurality stimulates your mind to new and possibly exciting thoughts, whereas the terror can come at feeling powerless in the face of more than one object to deal with (a baby crying because of noise for instance, is likely because of terror against its ears, where the "volume" of sound is, which makes it hinders it in performing on its current agenda, either it's sleeping, pooping or sucking nipples).

While adults can also feel those last two feelings, the above is more rare for adults, but will probably have great lots of it in babies, the earlier the more, as they explore the new world they've come to.

The irrational belief in the meaning of numbers, like numerology or Tetraphobia, is another thing. But that's more due to associations than the share power of the plurality (above 1) or unity (1) or emptiness (0) that is inherent to numbers themselves. For instance, 4 horsemen could be Death, Pestilence, Famine and War, however, 7 horsemen can't be "the 4 horsemen", but 7 horsemen is more terrifying by the power of numbers than 4, and yet still "the 4 horsemen" is more terrifying to people than "the 7 horsemen". So the share power of the number is not part of the reasoning, merely its "meaning", which is where it all becomes irrational... and I'm not talking about irrational numbers.
jackles

Post by jackles »

Do odd numbers have less of a harmonic syncanicity about them.they just dont feel the same as even numbers for some reason.
Perceiving exists.

Post by Perceiving exists. »

jackles wrote:Do numbers have an unconsciousess feeling relative to intereaction in the event.
I think it is just the amount of resemblance we recognize in different objects (subjects for that matter) to a degree where we say;
hey, these two different things look so much alike, they are half of them together, thus resulting in 'two' the same things.

0 is the absence of something known.
1 is the first value referring to it in the whole.
1 1.. 2 is just an abbreviation.
1 1 1.. 3 etc.

If we had 6 fingers on each hand, maybe we would have have 12 (11, 0 being 0) different signs before switching to two digits?

0123456789)(,
thus 10 would be )
11 > (
12 > 1+( or simply 1(
etc.
Last edited by Perceiving exists. on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

jackles wrote:Do odd numbers have less of a harmonic syncanicity about them.they just dont feel the same as even numbers for some reason.
There's a name for your condition it's called synaesthesia and is surprisingly not that rare. It involves attributing non related abstractions such as colours to sound, or feelings to colours, like red feels hot for example. The number 10283432 makes me feel nauseous, would be something a person with synaesthesia might say.
Perceiving exists.

Blaggard wrote:
jackles wrote:Do odd numbers have less of a harmonic syncanicity about them.they just dont feel the same as even numbers for some reason.
There's a name for your condition it's called synaesthesia and is surprisingly not that rare. It involves attributing non related abstractions such as colours to sound, or feelings to colours, like red feels hot for example. The number 10283432 makes me feel nauseous, would be something a person with synaesthesia might say.
No, not really Blaggerd.. synesthesiais a bit more specific than what you are describing. if you say 7 feels lucky and 13 un-, that doesnt mean your brain didn't lose the 'unlogic' synesthesia connections. Most of us are born with different senses combined, but shortly after our brain notices it isn't of any practical use and these connections (causing synesthesia) are lost.
(btw, red stop and green go are 'learned' by society, synesthesia is something entirely different. If you would like to know more, have a search around the web or find some books about it.)
Last edited by Perceiving exists. on Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Perceiving exists. wrote:
Blaggard wrote:
No, not really Blaggerd.. synesthesiais a bit more specific than what you are describing. if you say 7 feels lucky and 13 un-, that doesnt mean your brain didn't lose the 'unlogic' synesthesia connections. Most of us are born with the combining of different senses, but shortly after we our brain notices it isnt of any practical use, these connections (causing synesthesia) will be lost.

(btw, red stop and green go are 'learned' by society, synesthesia is something entirely different. If you would like to know more, have a search around the web or find some books about it.)
Well ok but I don't know Jackles and it did sound a lot like what I was explaining but if that's not it fair enough. ;)
Perceiving exists.

Blaggard wrote:Well ok but I don't know Jackles and it did sound a lot like what I was explaining but if that's not it fair enough. ;)
Quite some interesting explanations on how why etc., but i'm sorry, the way you are describing is a bit too shallow compared to what it is.
You still might be right tho about Jackles, neither i can judge that.
Like i said, theres alot of information going around despite the fact its discovery isn't that old yet. :)
you can divide even numbers by two (or multiply by a half) and they remain integer, and uneven numbers never do?
how does 4 divided by 3 feel compared to 6 divided by 3? or 15/2 to 15/3? (and ofc. 15/5)

6/3 is the nicest imo ;)
Last edited by Perceiving exists. on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Blaggard wrote:Well ok but I don't know Jackles and it did sound a lot like what I was explaining but if that's not it fair enough. ;)
Quite some interesting explanations on how why etc., but i'm sorry, the way you are describing is a bit too shallow compared to what it is.
You still might be right tho about Jackles, neither i can judge that.
Like i said, theres alot of information going around despite the fact its discovery isn't that old yet. :)
We do indeed live in interesting times. :)
Perceiving exists.

Blaggard wrote:We do indeed live in interesting times. :)
imagine the time before the wheel ;) every era has ups and downs.
Last edited by Perceiving exists. on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Blaggard wrote:We do indeed live in interesting times. :)
imagine the time before the wheel ;)
Imagine South America they invented the wheel but never used it except on toys. ;)
Perceiving exists.

the beauty of roundness is used in many things :idea: :]
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Perceiving exists. wrote:the beauty of roundness is used in many things :idea: :]
pi is quite beautiful if transcendental. ;)
Pi

The number π is a mathematical constant that is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter and is approximately equal to 3.14159. It has been represented by the Greek letter "π" since the mid-18th century, though it is also sometimes spelled out as "pi" (/paɪ/).

Being an irrational number, π cannot be expressed exactly as a common fraction. Consequently, its decimal representation never ends and never settles into a permanent repeating pattern. The digits appear to be randomly distributed, although no proof of this has yet been discovered. Also, π is a transcendental number – a number that is not the root of any nonzero polynomial having rational coefficients. The transcendence of π implies that it is impossible to solve the ancient challenge of squaring the circle with a compass and straight-edge.

Fractions such as 22/7 and other rational numbers are commonly used to approximate π.

For thousands of years, mathematicians have attempted to extend their understanding of π, sometimes by computing its value to a high degree of accuracy. Before the 15th century, mathematicians such as Archimedes and Liu Hui used geometrical techniques, based on polygons, to estimate the value of π. Starting around the 15th century, new algorithms based on infinite series revolutionized the computation of π. In the 20th and 21st centuries, mathematicians and computer scientists discovered new approaches that – when combined with increasing computational power – extended the decimal representation of π to, as of late 2011, over 10 trillion (1013) digits.[1] Scientific applications generally require no more than 40 digits of π, so the primary motivation for these computations is the human desire to break records, but the extensive calculations involved have been used to test supercomputers and high-precision multiplication algorithms.

Because its definition relates to the circle, π is found in many formulae in trigonometry and geometry, especially those concerning circles, ellipses, or spheres. It is also found in formulae from other branches of science, such as cosmology, number theory, statistics, fractals, thermodynamics, mechanics, and electromagnetism. The ubiquitous nature of π makes it one of the most widely known mathematical constants, both inside and outside the scientific community: Several books devoted to it have been published, the number is celebrated on Pi Day, and record-setting calculations of the digits of π often result in news headlines. Attempts to memorize the value of π with increasing precision have led to records of over 67,000 digits.
;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi
Perceiving exists.

Blaggard wrote:
Perceiving exists. wrote:the beauty of roundness is used in many things :idea: :]
pi is quite beautiful if transcendental. ;)
180 degrees.. Pi rad, a never ending number.. 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628 and so on...
maybe because it always can be rounder ;)