are numbers the result of feelings

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Blaggard

Re: are numbers the result of feelings

Post by Blaggard »

Perceiving exists. wrote:
Blaggard wrote:
Perceiving exists. wrote:the beauty of roundness is used in many things :idea: :]
pi is quite beautiful if transcendental. ;)
180 degrees.. Pi rad, a never ending number.. 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628 and so on...
maybe because it always can be rounder ;)
It can't of course even at a scale of infinitessimal it is never nor could be actually rounder. But I appreciate the joke nonetheless. ;)

We can't square the circle but it is I think our duty to try nonetheless, if indeed we are more than just rounded, and less than just square. :P
Perceiving exists.

Post by Perceiving exists. »

Blaggard wrote:It can't of course even at a scale of [infinitesimal] it is never nor could be actually rounder. But I appreciate the joke nonetheless. ;)
We can't square the circle but it is I think our duty to try nonetheless, if indeed we are more than just rounded, and less than just square. :P

2*(inv/arc.sin(1)) = Pi

i too rather had seen another integer value like 1, yet pi describes the beauty of never ending perfection, regardless of the never ending decimals :)

never is it exact.. only pretty close to :P
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Blaggard wrote:It can't of course even at a scale of [infinitesimal] it is never nor could be actually rounder. But I appreciate the joke nonetheless. ;)

2*(inv/arc.sin(1)) = Pi

i too rather had seen another integer value like 1, yet pi describes the beauty of never ending perfection, regardless of the never ending decimals :)

never is it exact.. only pretty close to
how do you explain this then?

Hehe close to is not good enough near to is not good enough and a circle is never a circle or perfect, neither can we square it, but as I said we should at least try, for what is life if not an attempt to do the impossible..?

I think the attempt is divine the result of such attempts human.
An entire book, Dr. Euler's Fabulous Formula (published in 2006), written by Paul Nahin (a professor emeritus at the University of New Hampshire), is devoted to Euler's identity and its applications in Fourier analysis. The book states that Euler's identity sets "the gold standard for mathematical beauty".[2]

After proving Euler's identity during a lecture, Benjamin Peirce, a noted American 19th-century philosopher, mathematician, and professor at Harvard University, stated that "it is absolutely paradoxical; we cannot understand it, and we don't know what it means, but we have proved it, and therefore we know it must be the truth."[3] Stanford University mathematics professor Keith Devlin has said, "Like a Shakespearean sonnet that captures the very essence of love, or a painting that brings out the beauty of the human form that is far more than just skin deep, Euler's equation reaches down into the very depths of existence."[4]

The German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss was reported to have commented that if this formula was not immediately apparent to a student upon being told it, that student would never be a first-class mathematician.[5]

The mathematics writer Constance Reid claimed that Euler's identity was "the most famous formula in all mathematics".[6] A poll of readers conducted by The Mathematical Intelligencer in 1990 named Euler's identity as the "most beautiful theorem in mathematics".[7] In another poll of readers that was conducted by Physics World in 2004, Euler's identity tied with Maxwell's equations (of electromagnetism) as the "greatest equation ever".[8]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler%27s_identity
Perceiving exists.

Post by Perceiving exists. »

Blaggard wrote: how do you explain this then?

Hehe close to is not good enough near to is not good enough and a circle is never a circle or perfect, neither can we square it, but as I said we should at least try, for what is life if not an attempt to do the impossible..?

Because zero is round?
I wouldn't know, but i will give it some thought, as well as the information you provided :)
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

Blaggard wrote: how do you explain this then?

Because zero is round?
I wouldn't know, but i will give it some thought, as well as the information you provided :)
Nothing is round, well it's not novel but it is of course correct: 0. ;)

Well it's kinda round if you'll forgive the type face, this may be more round I do not know: O. :D