The Meaning of the Number System ("quantity" is incorrect)

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

wtf

Re: The Meaning of the Number System ("quantity" is incorrect)

Post by wtf »

If you are on drugs, you should stop immediately. If you are not on drugs, you should start.
roydop

Post by roydop »

wtf wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:06 pm If you are on drugs, you should stop immediately. If you are not on drugs, you should start.
I'm free of suffering and sit around in bliss all day.

Any more advice?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

I sat around in bliss once, then I cleaned myself off...

-Imp
wtf

Post by wtf »

roydop wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:56 pm I'm free of suffering and sit around in bliss all day.
That's it? You sit around in bliss all day? So does a fentanyl addict on skid row. What kind of life is that?
roydop wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:56 pm Any more advice?
Yes. Have you considered posting to the Metaphysics forum? Your posts would be more appropriate there. Your content has nothing to do with the philosophy of mathematics.
roydop

Post by roydop »

wtf wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:35 pm
roydop wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:56 pm I'm free of suffering and sit around in bliss all day.
That's it? You sit around in bliss all day? So does a fentanyl addict on skid row. What kind of life is that?
roydop wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:56 pm Any more advice?
Yes. Have you considered posting to the Metaphysics forum? Your posts would be more appropriate there. Your content has nothing to do with the philosophy of mathematics.
No, a fentanyl addict has a low accompanying each high, whereas I abide in the natural state, which is continual contentment free of all suffering (no highs and lows)

This theory shows how all of mathematics is incorrect. How does this not relate to mathematics?
wtf

Post by wtf »

roydop wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:58 pm
This theory shows how all of mathematics is incorrect.
That makes you a garden variety crank.

But without my having to watch you sit silently in front of a webcam for two hours, can you just give a simple example of a piece of math that you've proven incorrect? And please provide the proof.

If "all" of mathematics is incorrect, is 1 + 1 = 2 incorrect? How so?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

1 + 1 = 3 for very large values of 1.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Impenitent wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:51 pm I sat around in bliss once, then I cleaned myself off...

-Imp
I sat square in the middle of bliss, then I rounded my corners.
roydop

Post by roydop »

wtf wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:42 pm
roydop wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:58 pm
This theory shows how all of mathematics is incorrect.
That makes you a garden variety crank.

But without my having to watch you sit silently in front of a webcam for two hours, can you just give a simple example of a piece of math that you've proven incorrect? And please provide the proof.

If "all" of mathematics is incorrect, is 1 + 1 = 2 incorrect? How so?
Prove to me how 1+1=2 is correct. You are assuming it to be correct and putting the emphasis on me to disprove it. But I have not been convinced that 1+1=2 makes any intuitive sense whatsoever. What does it even mean?

So please do explain to me how 1+1=2, and what truth it is relating to.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

But 1 + 1 = 3 (for very large values of 1)
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

roydop wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:25 pm Prove to me how 1+1=2 is correct. You are assuming it to be correct and putting the emphasis on me to disprove it. But I have not been convinced that 1+1=2 makes any intuitive sense whatsoever. What does it even mean?

What makes you think Climate Change is happening and for the reasons scientists say it is? They used a lot of math including addition to draw their conclusions. Were they mistaken to base their conclusions on math that's really a message about souls repeating themselves and has nothing to do with quantity???????????????????????
roydop

Post by roydop »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:58 pm
roydop wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:25 pm Prove to me how 1+1=2 is correct. You are assuming it to be correct and putting the emphasis on me to disprove it. But I have not been convinced that 1+1=2 makes any intuitive sense whatsoever. What does it even mean?

What makes you think Climate Change is happening and for the reasons scientists say it is? They used a lot of math including addition to draw their conclusions. Were they mistaken to base their conclusions on math that's really a message about souls repeating themselves and has nothing to do with quantity???????????????????????
Anyone with any sense of intuition at all would determine that burning the amount of fossil fuels that we do will distrupt the natural balance. No need of math there at all.

Also, I have never stated that math doesn't work. It works to create the illusion (of separately existing phenomena). Mathematics offers no answers to any questions, it's just information that is being used to maximize profits and create technology (this technology has human consciousness helplessly mesmerized by the screen).

Now, prove to me that 1+1=2. How does it come to be and what does it mean?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

roydop wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:13 pm Anyone with any sense of intuition at all would determine that burning the amount of fossil fuels that we do will distrupt the natural balance. No need of math there at all.
So, you were concerned about climate change, as opposed to other effects like pollution say, long before CC was an issue in the papers.
Also, I have never stated that math doesn't work.
You've said it's incorrect.
viewtopic.php?p=612864#p612864
It works to create the illusion (of separately existing phenomena).
That is one thing one could argue it does. It does other things. But you kept making this blanket statement that it is incorrect.
Mathematics offers no answers to any questions, it's just information that is being used to maximize profits and create technology (this technology has human consciousness helplessly mesmerized by the screen).
Well, again, it helped scientists make specific predictions about CC. It helps people when bartering in marketplaces going back to prehistoric times. It helps daycare workers make sure they have the right number of toddlers when they're field trips. And so on.

Language separates things also. So, we could blame it all on language, which you may also do. Here you separate out 'numbers' and blame them or blame mathematics for causing things. That's separating out existing phenomena. You're not blaming biology or plumbing. You're blaming math or the number system.

We could say that bodies only create technology to destroy. But then this ignores other things done.

We could say awareness contributes to the destruction of the earth, because if scientists weren't aware of tools, formulas, where to get funding, what they are doing, then they wouldn't do X and Y which are bad.
Now, prove to me that 1+1=2.
Why? In my experience it's a useful convention. My wife asks me to get two yoghurts which she needs to make a dinner. I know what she means. I get two. I know that when I reach up and get one, I still have one more to get. Then I have two. It works. That's so simple I am not adding. But with other requests I may very well add (or, with a shocking lack of care for the universe multiply: perhaps when determining the surface of the walls before I get the right amount of paint. It's working for me. A better questions is Why should I stop using addition.

You stated somewhere in one of your videos that we've all been convinced by a 360 page book. Nah. We came up with a way to make things work more clearly, long before Russell and Whitehead wrote that book. It works for us. People also use it for bad stuff. But then, bad stuff in terms of climate change includes the math that went into buidling your house, which looks pretty large. It goes into the tech you use to tell us about math.

Tell me why I shouldn't use math. Demonstrate why we should not use it period.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:38 am
Now, prove to me that 1+1=2.
Why? In my experience it's a useful convention. My wife asks me to get two yoghurts which she needs to make a dinner. I know what she means. I get two. I know that when I reach up and get one, I still have one more to get.
My wife asks me to make the baby bath temperature 2 degrees.

It's 1 degree now. So I add equal quantity of 1 degree water. And the water is still 1 degree!

Fuck! Apparently 1+1=1

Mathematicians are really good at hiding all the details because their brains do all the work for them.
But the "+" in 1+1=2 and 1+1=1 mean very different things.

Philosophers call this "equivocation".
Computer Scientists call it polymorphism.

Either way the question is "What do you mean by +?"

Here's some context: https://youtu.be/wZSvuCJBaFU
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:38 am Tell me why I shouldn't use math. Demonstrate why we should not use it period.
It's not about using it; or not using it. It's that most Mathematicians are lying (to themselves) about how you really use it. They omit (a lot!) of the details to the point they don't even realise they are lying to themselves.