1d Point

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Post Reply
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 7230
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

1d Point

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

A 1d point exists as pure form direct towards itself and through itself as a singular entity.

The 0d point stands in contrast to this 1d point as pure void. This void seperates the 1d point into further points which all relate through eachother regardless of distance.

A 1d point equals another 1d point thus all 1d points are the same point that acts through itself.
Impenitent
Posts: 3471
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: 1d Point

Post by Impenitent »

if 2 0d points are positioned next to each other, where does one begin and the other end?

-Imp
mickthinks
Posts: 1076
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:10 am
Location: Augsburg

Re: 1d Point

Post by mickthinks »

mickthinks wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:38 pm Yes, Eodnhoj, I still can't follow a word you say, and I have enough physics and mathematics to be pretty sure it's because you don't know what you are talking about.
wtf
Posts: 999
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:36 pm

Re: 1d Point

Post by wtf »

Impenitent wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:57 am if 2 0d points are positioned next to each other, where does one begin and the other end?
What do you think the answer is? I know the answer but I won't give it away till I understand why you asked.
Impenitent
Posts: 3471
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: 1d Point

Post by Impenitent »

wtf wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:18 am
Impenitent wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:57 am if 2 0d points are positioned next to each other, where does one begin and the other end?
What do you think the answer is? I know the answer but I won't give it away till I understand why you asked.
demarcations of nothing seem arbitrary at best and empty...

just another idea that cannot exist empirically

-Imp
wtf
Posts: 999
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:36 pm

Re: 1d Point

Post by wtf »

Impenitent wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:43 pm

demarcations of nothing seem arbitrary at best and empty...

just another idea that cannot exist empirically
Isn't it the case that between any two real numbers there's another one? For example if x and y are two distinct real numbers, then (x + y)/2 is strictly between them. So there are no adjacent real numbers.

Of course you are right that this is not an empirical concept. Zero-dimensional points are purely mathematical. They're conceptual only, not physical. But mathematically, there are no adjacent points. Between any two there's an infinity of others. In fact every tiny nonzero open interval (excluding its endpoints) of the real line is topologically identical to the entire real line. That's why they call it a continuum.
Eodnhoj7
Posts: 7230
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:18 am

Re: 1d Point

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

mickthinks wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:03 am
mickthinks wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:38 pm Yes, Eodnhoj, I still can't follow a word you say, and I have enough physics and mathematics to be pretty sure it's because you don't know what you are talking about.
A 1d point is directed in all directions.
Post Reply