The Meaning of Life

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

The Meaning of Life

Post by Philosophy Now »

Daniel Hill argues that without God, life would be meaningless.

http://philosophynow.org/issues/35/The_Meaning_of_Life
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: The Meaning of Life

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I've never been able to work out what the superstitious mean by 'meaning of life'. Why should it have any 'meaning'? In the context they use it 'meaning' doesn't 'mean' anything.
duszek

Post by duszek »

Perhaps by the meaning of life they mean ...

What do I live for ?
Shall I just eat, drink, make merry, procreate and die ?
vegetariantaxidermy

duszek wrote:Perhaps by the meaning of life they mean ...

What do I live for ?
Shall I just eat, drink, make merry, procreate and die ?
That could well be the 'meaning' of some people's lives. There is no all-encompassing 'meaning of life'. It's a nonsense. Perhaps it has something to do with the way the superstitious 'think'. Their brains are programmed that way. They can't help themselves, poor dears.
If someone really believes that a magical sky-being is what gives their life 'meaning' then of course they are going to feel that those who don't share their belief have lives that are devoid of meaning. If I believed there was an invisible leprechaun at the bottom of my garden who was ready with a pot of gold if I behaved myself and that he (along with his pot) was the 'meaning of life,' then naturally I would think that those who didn't share my belief were missing something from their lives i.e. their lives had no 'meaning'.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

I have no problem with that question: the meaning of life is to perpetuate life by means of awareness growing ever more aware of awareness. This meaning is not handed down from on high, but is a natural element in being alive.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

I think the knowledge of my eventual death accentuates the scarcity of my time here on earth.

It is this knowledge of man's limited life and days on this earth, that reminds me now and then how meaningful life is to me.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

-Imp
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

reasonvemotion wrote:I think the knowledge of my eventual death accentuates the scarcity of my time here on earth.

It is this knowledge of man's limited life and days on this earth, that reminds me now and then how meaningful life is to me.
Yes, and the surest means to end sentimenality.

I was wondering whether in asking about the meaning of life, if one should consider death to come under the same umbrella as the term life, in the same way that our shadows are a part of us; death is part of life. Do you consider this sane?
vegetariantaxidermy

Bernard wrote:
reasonvemotion wrote:I think the knowledge of my eventual death accentuates the scarcity of my time here on earth.

Yes, and the surest means to end sentimenality.

I was wondering whether in asking about the meaning of life, if one should consider death to come under the same umbrella as the term life, in the same way that our shadows are a part of us; death is part of life. Do you consider this sane?
It might have 'meaning' to you, but life itself has no meaning, it's just a mix of chemicals.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

The root of the word meaning is thought to be 'think', so to say life has no meaning is saying it has no thinking which is patently false, obviously, as we as living things think. If you regard that as something purely chemical, I can go with that for a certain mileage, until I ask myself, well, what are chemicals? Are they essentially physical?

A better way to ask 'what is the meaning of life' is; 'There is purpose in life, how would purpose in life be described by you?'. Naturally, this is a subjective question for some and an objective one for others, and in the end it remains personal.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

I think you do.

"All men must die and death is not to be feared". The dead know nothing and if you can prove otherwise, please do.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply...K Gibran
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

"The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply"...K Gibran

Does this credit go to you or me. :wink:
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Impenitent wrote:42

-Imp
NO, that is the answer to the 'ultimate question of life, the Universe, and everything' which may include 'meaning', but it was not stated in the rather vague question as presented. This was all hashed out on another thread.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

The meaning of any one life is that which is passed on to others, after you are gone.