Did Time Begin With A Bang?

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Resha Caner

Re: Did Time Begin With A Bang?

Post by Resha Caner »

ForgedinHell wrote:How can it be such a bitter view when even a lot of philosohers are conceding the point?
You need to read the "Philosophy Inc." article in the latest issue.
ForgedinHell wrote:Seriously?
Yes, seriously. You seemed to agree that science has not settled on an answer as to whether time has a beginning, and that seemed to be the question discussed by the article. So, I'm not sure what you're referring to. If you don't want to quote it for me, I'm happy to move on.
ForgedinHell

Post by ForgedinHell »

Resha Caner wrote:
ForgedinHell wrote:How can it be such a bitter view when even a lot of philosohers are conceding the point?
You need to read the "Philosophy Inc." article in the latest issue.
ForgedinHell wrote:Seriously?
Yes, seriously. You seemed to agree that science has not settled on an answer as to whether time has a beginning, and that seemed to be the question discussed by the article. So, I'm not sure what you're referring to. If you don't want to quote it for me, I'm happy to move on.
No, he made certain claims that are bogus. Going with a bogus claim is not going to get us any where. Scientists will not take his claims seriously. What will happen is some lay people will, and they will be misinformed as a result. That's not a good thing.
MartinChoops

Post by MartinChoops »

Time. Big Subject. To ask about its beginning is a language game surely, since the notion of "beginning" implies time before an event, so if the event is time... ? Yet what is time? It's not good enough to say it's just a quantum, relativistic and thermodynamic thing of physical space-time (not that Physicists have resolved that quantum gravity assembly). You get closer to say it's a notion linked to consciousness and entropy in the context of physical space-time mental models of "here & there" and "then & now". That starts to bring our human temporal psyche into the physics. In actuality the notion of time is something evolution seems to have equipped us with, as it did for our notion of our unique identity and consciousness. Time is: Physics, Psychology, Neurology and Biology - and Philosophy. Big Subject. Time.