Coulda Woulda Shoulda

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Coulda Woulda Shoulda

Post by Philosophy Now »

Typist

Re: Coulda Woulda Shoulda

Post by Typist »

I dunno.

The vast majority of human beings are not philosophers, except in the most casual way. Systems of morality are designed to serve this majority.

The author examines his relationship with his vegan diet. Little of the philosophical fancy talk that he types will be useful to the majority.

The simple phrase "Love animals, don't eat them!", with a bit of socially sanctioned guilt squirted on top, is more useful.

This approach gives the reader clear, concise, specific guidance on how to achieve a higher level of peace within themselves, and in relation to their environment. The layer of guilt added to to the stew gives them a helpful push in the right direction.

Everybody can understand this advice, even kids. Reaching kids is important, because that's when philosophies are chosen. Later in life, discussion of philosophy is mostly the act of striking various competitive social ranking poses.
Hermit Philosopher

Post by Hermit Philosopher »

How ought one address the causally derived conclusion which claims, that the only thing man is determined to have, is free will?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

I just can't say how much I'm enjoying JM's 'conversion' and how honoured I am to watch it. A philosopher in action. :)

And what a formidable beast he's turning out to be!

Nothing like using a thief to catch a thief. :lol:
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Typist wrote:...
The simple phrase "Love animals, don't eat them!", with a bit of socially sanctioned guilt squirted on top, is more useful.

This approach gives the reader clear, concise, specific guidance on how to achieve a higher level of peace within themselves, and in relation to their environment. The layer of guilt added to to the stew gives them a helpful push in the right direction.
:lol: What a fucking 'fascist' he is!
spike

Post by spike »

Might the situation in Libya been avoided? I would hazard a guess that it coulda not. But woulda intervention by outsiders have helped? Probably not. But the world shoulda seen it coming.

I think Joel Marks is messing around with our heads with this moral trampoline he is one. But, isn't that what philosophers are supposed to do?