Humans, the Believing Animals

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: Humans, the Believing Animals

Post by Lacewing »

Uh oh, Age has arrived to bombard this thread with his usual projections and excessive critiques and corrections about what he imagines about everyone and what they say, while proclaiming his superior insight based on his distortions and projections. He appears unable to contribute to the topic or interact with other people without doing this, and unfortunately it has brought death to other threads.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:54 pm Uh oh, Age has arrived to bombard this thread with his usual projections and excessive critiques and corrections about what he imagines about everyone and what they say, while proclaiming his superior insight based on his distortions and projections. He appears unable to contribute to the topic or interact with other people without doing this, and unfortunately it has brought death to other threads.
Why not just ignore as if he isn't even there, every such post receiving zero acknowledgement. Easy enough to do, but most people don't do it. The thread can then continue until it liquidates on its own.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dubious wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:56 am
Lacewing wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:54 pm Uh oh, Age has arrived to bombard this thread with his usual projections and excessive critiques and corrections about what he imagines about everyone and what they say, while proclaiming his superior insight based on his distortions and projections. He appears unable to contribute to the topic or interact with other people without doing this, and unfortunately it has brought death to other threads.
Why not just ignore as if he isn't even there, every such post receiving zero acknowledgement. Easy enough to do, but most people don't do it. The thread can then continue until it liquidates on its own.
I do ignore his posts (as do most people). But I've noticed that his style of posts (as I described) have brought some threads to a halt. And this one was just getting started.

Why do you imagine that it's okay for him to do as he does, and we're all supposed to ignore it? But you imagine I should not comment on such a thing, and you do not ignore me doing so? 8)
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:05 am
I do ignore his posts (as do most people). But I've noticed that his style of posts (as I described) have brought some threads to a halt. And this one was just getting started.

Why do you imagine that it's okay for him to do as he does, and we're all supposed to ignore it? But you imagine I should not comment on such a thing, and you do not ignore me doing so? 8)
I didn't say it's okay for him to do as he does, did I! If I thought that why would I say to simply ignore him? It's the usual-prescribed solution to something which has no merit. Not being moderators, it's not possible to do anything directly about it except to ignore and that's all I meant to say. Even if not completely effective it can still keep the momentum of a worthwhile thread going. It was just an impersonal generic statement accusing no one of anything. I don't know what made you so upset. It's amazing how often people mentally metabolize a simple straight-forward thought into the opposite of what is meant. I always considered you above that kind of thing, so ubiquitous among many. I guess I was wrong.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dubious wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:43 am

I didn't say it's okay for him to do as he does, did I! If I thought that why would I say to simply ignore him? It's the usual-prescribed solution to something which has no merit. Not being moderators, it's not possible to do anything directly about it except to ignore and that's all I meant to say. Even if not completely effective it can still keep the momentum of a worthwhile thread going. It was just an impersonal generic statement accusing no one of anything. I don't know what made you so upset. It's amazing how often people mentally metabolize a simple straight-forward thought into the opposite of what is meant. I always considered you above that kind of thing, so ubiquitous among many. I guess I was wrong.
Why are you imagining me as 'so upset'? Of course I'm aware of the ignore function. I felt like pointing out that he was about to sink another thread.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:54 am
Dubious wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:43 am

Why are you imagining me as 'so upset'? Of course I'm aware of the ignore function. I felt like pointing out that he was about to sink another thread.
I understand that! I was explicitly pointing out it didn't need to happen! Why let an idiot ruin a good thread? Ignore function or not, best to ignore the extraneous noise of a disordered mind and remain reasonably on track with the OP. That's all, nothing more to say, goodbye!
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dubious wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:13 am
Lacewing wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:54 am I felt like pointing out that he was about to sink another thread.
I understand that! I was explicitly pointing out it didn't need to happen!
Whether or not it needs to happen, it still happens. That's my point.
Dubious wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:13 amWhy let an idiot ruin a good thread?
Why let idiots ruin anything that they ruin? :lol: Sometimes people prefer to walk away from things instead of trying to ignore them. So, moving on...
Dubious wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:13 amgoodbye!
Goodbye.
owl of Minerva

Post by owl of Minerva »

Aristotle “The highest form of life for humans who have rational souls is contemplation.”

In the above article ‘Humans, the Believing Animals’ Aristotle’s comment is misunderstood and the author has the audacity to think Aristotle is wrong and he, the author, is right. The author confuses contemplation with reason whereas humans use contemplation to access the truth that is elusive to either our reason-centric only or belief-centric only selves.

Over 300 centuries ago we changed from a belief-centric culture, in the West, to a reason-centric culture. What are we to gain by switching back again to a belief-centric culture? The answer is nothing. We have the intelligence to do better than serially switch from belief to reason and back again.

There is a difficulty here in understanding the concept of holding feeling or belief in unbiased balance in our minds and with unbiased reason to reach a conclusion in contemplating a problem. Intelligence is not supposed to be either/or but and/both. It is thought that only geniuses have the capacity to do this but we all have the capacity if we use it.

Steve Jobs said of intuition “intuition is a very powerful thing, more powerful than intellect.”

From a book review referencing philosophy: “How can a discipline that claims to be a rational form of inquiry fail to solve any of its problems? The answer is that the one-dimensionality ‘of the rational form of inquiry’ is the problem. And replacing it with a one-dimensional belief-centric system is not going to solve it.

It is surprising how much in philosophical discourse arrives at wrong conclusions. It is indicative of a problem with today's philosophy which is totally unmoored. It needs a reboot if it is to be considered as a higher calling that provides a guiding light to lesser mortals, as a love of, and understanding of, our faculty for wisdom. Today’s philosophy is very far from that ideal.

Post by Age »

AND ONCE AGAIN we have "lacewing" making CLAIMS and ACCUSATIONS WITHOUT ABSOLUTELY ANY PROOF or even ANY EVIDENCE AT ALL PROVIDED.

Post by Age »

GREAT IDEA.

I can then just POINT OUT the Falsehoods,Wrong claims, and/or Incorrect writings WITHOUT all of the unsubstantiated "noise", distortions, and projections coming from those like "lacewing".

Post by Age »

I do ignore his posts (as do most people).
LOL you say you WANT TO and even CLAIM to have put me on your ignore list, but you just can NOT help "yourself" as you HAVE TO LOOK AT and READ what I SAY and WRITE here.

Lacewing wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:05 am But I've noticed that his style of posts (as I described) have brought some threads to a halt.
WOW I KNEW 'I' HAD CONTROL OVER 'you', but are you SURE 'I' have this MUCH CONTROL?
Lacewing wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:05 am And this one was just getting started.
There is NOTHING Wrong with HALTING the False, Wrong, and Incorrect BELIEF that BELIEF IS NECESSARY for human beings, BEFORE 'it' is SPREAD and BELIEVED TRUE.

Lacewing wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:05 am Why do you imagine that it's okay for him to do as he does, and we're all supposed to ignore it? But you imagine I should not comment on such a thing, and you do not ignore me doing so? 8)

Post by Age »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:01 am
Lacewing wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:54 am I felt like pointing out that he was about to sink another thread.
Why let idiots ruin anything that they ruin? :lol: Sometimes people prefer to walk away from things instead of trying to ignore them. So, moving on...
Goodbye.
LOL

Even when people are ON each "others side" like "dubious is, or was, the "other" STILL can MISINTERPRET, and become "obnoxious", as CLEARLY SHOWN here above.
owl of Minerva

Post by owl of Minerva »

Age wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:04 am
Goodbye.
LOL

Even when people are ON each "others side" like "dubious is, or was, the "other" STILL can MISINTERPRET, and become "obnoxious", as CLEARLY SHOWN here above.
Instead of a discussion on the merits, or demerits, of the article in question ‘Humans the Believing Animals’ which I critiqued in a post: Mon. 2/13, 4:21 pm, there are instead arguments arising here between those who post, that are not relative to the article in question; to its merits or demerits.

This is disappointing. It appears that people who have no interested in philosophy, whatsoever, are posting here because they have nothing else to do, or they enjoy being disrupters. As in social media in general it is a problem.

It requires monitors to disrupt the disrupters, otherwise those who are interested in philosophical discussion, not in cat fights, must look for alternate venues. As philosophy’s popularity or relevance, is not great, its venues, unfortunately, are few.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Goodbye.
LOL

Happens all the time. The secret is in not giving a crap what anyone thinks, just posting as one sees it...or as Porky Pig would say "That's all folks!"

Philosophy forum is merely a polite name for mostly bullshit forums but who the hell wants to join a bullshit forum instead of a philosophy forum for the same kind of response! We have our standards, you know :!: :roll:

Post by Age »

owl of Minerva wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:41 pm

Goodbye.
LOL

Instead of a discussion on the merits, or demerits, of the article in question ‘Humans the Believing Animals’ which I critiqued in a post: Mon. 2/13, 4:21 pm, there are instead arguments arising here between those who post, that are not relative to the article in question; to its merits or demerits.
Are you here suggesting that some one posted some things that were not relative to the article mentioned above?

If yes, and if you would like to continue this discussion, then who were they, EXACTLY, and what were they talking about EXACTLY?

And, does what you just posted here really have ANY thing to with the article above also anyway?

Was the previous post in question, which you wrote, at 4:21 pm or 8:21 pm?
owl of Minerva wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:41 pm This is disappointing. It appears that people who have no interested in philosophy, whatsoever, are posting here because they have nothing else to do, or they enjoy being disrupters. As in social media in general it is a problem.
Is what you just posted here related to the topic title and the article in question? Or, is it just another form of disruption?

And, if you would like to ACCUSE some people, of some thing/s here, then I suggest you POINT those people OUT DIRECTLY, and HIGHLIGHT the specific thing/s that you are ACCUSING them of doing.

See, CLAIMING that "another" has absolutely NO interest AT ALL in 'philosophy', WHATSOEVER, absolutely ANY one can do, and do back to you, AS WELL.
owl of Minerva wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:41 pm It requires monitors to disrupt the disrupters, otherwise those who are interested in philosophical discussion, not in cat fights, must look for alternate venues.
If you would like to have a so-called philosophical discussion' about the believing animal, that 'you', adult human beings are, then what does a 'philosophical discussion' entail, to you, EXACTLY?

See, my interpretation of 'philosophical discussion' might be VERY DIFFERENT to yours, and "others". And, so some one could ACCUSE you of having NO interest, WHATSOEVER, in philosophy.
owl of Minerva wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:41 pm As philosophy’s popularity or relevance, is not great, its venues, unfortunately, are few.
Look, that 'you', adult human beings, in the days when this is being written are so-called 'believing animals' is IRREFUTABLE. FULL STOP.

And, one of the biggest reasons WHY it takes 'you', adult human beings, in the days when this is being written, SO LONG to be able to just DECIPHER between what IS IRREFUTABLY True FROM what IS NOT is because 'you' are STILL just in, and so literally STILL just STUCK IN, the BELIEVING and ASSUMING stage of evolution, itself.

WHEN 'you' BECOME Truly OPEN, AGAIN, and REMAINING Truly OPEN, THEN 'you' WILL SEE and KNOW WHY BEING and REMAINING the BELIEVING animal IS HOLDING 'you' BACK.